• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Did any of you vets know you could have your veteran status placed on your DL?

"House Bill 1109 was passed and is due to be signed by Governor Daniels on 5/11/11 with an effective date of 1 July 2011. This Indiana Code will allow the local BMV to put military information on the driver’s license if requested by the veteran on the application. The veteran will be required to show proof of service, DD Form 214 (or, I assume, its equivalent) at the time he/she submits the application. This will fulfill the wish of many veterans to be issued some proof of service which they can show to organizations which require such proof, without them having to carry their DD214 around. The fact that the driver’s license also contains a photo and an expiration date will make the driver’s license suffice for just about any requirement." - American Legion

My DL expires next year and I think I'll have this done. I had to take my DD214 to Holiday World this summer to get the veterans discount.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm only asking if it was known this could be done. I'm not necessarily for or against it. Are there any gun shops that give discounts to veterans?

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    I'm only asking if it was known this could be done. I'm not necessarily for or against it. Are there any gun shops that give discounts to veterans?

Midwest in South Bend give discounts to vets i think; i know they do if you're currently in. Doesn't matter if you are active or reserve.

Many places give discounts to vets but require proof, which is reasonable. If, for some reason, you lose your DD 214, it is a real PITA to get it replaced. Other than discounts and Vet associations, i don't know what else you can do with it, other than cry "FREEDOM!".

Also, for those of you who don't know. When you get out, you can go to the county clerks office and have your DD 214 entered as a county document, so if you every lose it you just need to go to the county office instead of the VA.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Are there any gun shops that give discounts to veterans?

The ONLY one that I've ever personally experienced who had a real veterans sale was 21st Century in Bluffton. That was the first time in my life I think I ever got a military discount that was more than a token amount. They seriously hooked me up and earned my respect by what they did for all the veterans and myself. If they get a store up my way, they'll have a loyal customer.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Actually Que I didn't know that was a new law/option for vets. I don't know if I would add that to my DL or not...but I'll have to consider that when I renew it again

I don't know if it's still done but when I left Uncle Sam's Yacht Club I was issued a red ID card that showed my status as in-active reserve with an honorable discharge. Back then I could still use it at the Naval Exchange or any PX. Still have mine.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    How about the "avoid a ticket" angle? I know that's not why people serve, but I also know a lot of cops are willing to give someone who has served their country a break. I pointed this out to my brother and he now has the purple heart license plate just for this reason. I don't know if it has gotten him out of any tickets, but it can't hurt. I think the same would go for a LEO asking to see your DL and registration. :D

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    When you consider that big sis janet and the dhs says that vets need to be on a domestic terrorist watch list ***,, I'm not so sure I'd want that info so readily available .

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    When you consider that big sis janet and the dhs says that vets need to be on a domestic terrorist watch list ***,, I'm not so sure I'd want that info so readily available .

All Vets are on multiple databases within the government, and depending when you were in, they at least have your fingerprints on file and your DNA.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I won't get it. I didn't serve to get a discount or kudos. I don't wear Army/vet clothing or have anything on my vehicles. You'd never know I was in unless I told you.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I won't get it. I didn't serve to get a discount or kudos. I don't wear Army/vet clothing or have anything on my vehicles. You'd never know I was in unless I told you.
    That's your choice, I still appreciate your service. I think that giving discounts, priveleges etc is a good way for us non-vets to say thank you in some small way. We never can say it enough, but it can help. I know people don't serve in order to get discounts, but like I said, it's a small way I can thank those that did/do serve.

Top Bottom