• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    A VA ID card will suffice for proof of service. And the VA will maintain a copy of your DD-214 for you. Your signature will get you as many copies as you need for free. Many, if not most county clerks will also charge you for a certified copy of an original document.

I'm proud of my service, and I wear USMC T shirts, my old covers, and enjoy greeting other Veterans. Whatever works for ya. Thanks to those who have served. :patriot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree with the sentiment about not having served so I could get a discount on t-shirts later on in life. I did it for my own reasons, and I keep an Army sticker on the back window of my vehicle because people still need to support the home team. I have no doubt that it's helped me out of some tickets in the past, but that's still not why I put the sticker there. I see no reason to hide or promote the fact that I was in the service, it's just a single part of who I am. As far as getting it on the drivers license goes, I don't really see what it's going to do for me.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I won't get it. I didn't serve to get a discount or kudos. I don't wear Army/vet clothing or have anything on my vehicles. You'd never know I was in unless I told you.

To each his own. The Military was my career. As career military you don't make much money. So now if a business wants to show active duty or retired military gratitude like a few bucks off a hotel room I will accept it in the spirit in which it is given.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I made a few copies of my DD214 and always have one in my wallet. I don't go looking for discounts but it's nice when they offer them. Some places require proof (why I carry a DD214) but most just take your word for it. There are many places that offer discounts, hotels, restaurants, dept. stores, home improvement stores, just to name a few.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    To each his own. The Military was my career. As career military you don't make much money. So now if a business wants to show active duty or retired military gratitude like a few bucks off a hotel room I will accept it in the spirit in which it is given.

I agree with your sentiment. Everyone who served has earned the right to disclose their veteran status as they see fit.

However, I would not say that military members don't make much money. Maybe they didn't in the distant past, but nowadays pay, benefits, and especially retirement plan are pretty damn attractive.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree with your sentiment. Everyone who served has earned to right to disclose their veteran status as they see fit.

However, I would not say that military members don't make much money. Maybe they didn't in the distant past, but nowadays pay, benefits, and especially retirement plan are pretty damn attractive.

That's usually said by guys who've never served. There's an old cadence in the Army they went:

"They say that in the Army the pay is mighty fine....
    They give you a hundred dollars and take back 99"

Nothing could be more true. Those enlistment bonuses you hear of are usually taxed between 40 - 60 %. The other benefits of their healthcare are a joke. Have you been to a VA hospital or been checked out by an Army doctor?

People who serve don't do it for the money or the benefits. They aren't worth it.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    That's usually said by guys who've never served. There's an old cadence in the Army they went:

"They say that in the Army the pay is mighty fine....
    They give you a hundred dollars and take back 99"

Nothing could be more true. Those enlistment bonuses you hear of are usually taxed between 40 - 60 %. The other benefits of their healthcare are a joke. Have you been to a VA hospital or been checked out by an Army doctor?

People who serve don't do it for the money or the benefits. They aren't worth it.

If you get your bonus in a combat zone, it's tax free. I also know many people who have had numerous successful surgeries in military hospitals. My oldest boy was born at Womack Army Hospital--I did pay for one meal. Those servicemembers with no access to military hospitals have full coverage through Tricare. Not to mention housing allowance, BAS, family separation allowance, tax exclusion and hostile fire pay, professional bonuses, etc. And the biggest of all, a guaranteed paycheck for life after 20 years.

There are thousands who join or re-up because of the benefits. Don't kid yourself.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The other benefits of their healthcare are a joke. Have you been to a VA hospital ?

As a matter of fact, I have....

the VA has provided medical care for me over the years that kept me alive more than once. The VA continues to provide care that I couldn't otherwise afford, that allows me to maintain a decent quality of life.

I worked for the VA for over 10 years, and provided excellent care to every Veteran I came in contact with, and still assist Veterans however I can, since retirement.

Joke? Not by a long shot.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I agree with your sentiment. Everyone who served has earned to right to disclose their veteran status as they see fit.

I'm not going to argue dollars now vs then, but the government has whittled down retired military benefits. And just as a point of reference: When I was a SSGT E6 in the Marine Corps I had a cousin that got a job as janitor in the Indianapolis public school system, he made more per year starting out than I made as a E6 with 10 years in (yes including all pay and allowances). Although I did not choose my career based on money, that doesn't me I don't want to receive any kind of compensation either.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    As a matter of fact, I have....

the VA has provided medical care for me over the years that kept me alive more than once. The VA continues to provide care that I couldn't otherwise afford, that allows me to maintain a decent quality of life.

I worked for the VA for over 10 years, and provided excellent care to every Veteran I came in contact with, and still assist Veterans however I can, since retirement.

Joke? Not by a long shot.

I have to second this. The VA does one heck of a job considering how very over crowed it is. There is more than one Vet that owes his life to the VA hospital. Do they make mistakes, is it a pain in the arse to even get in let alone seen, absolutely but its much better than nothing.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Register for MyHealthe Vet... saves lots of time, and waiting. Maintains the ability of the VA to see the serious patients first.

go to this site... U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs ...hover your cursor over Veterans Services, then click on MyHealtheVet in the right hand column. Register via the green link on the right side....

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I'm not going to argue dollars now vs then, but the government has whittled down retired military benefits. And just as a point of reference: When I was a SSGT E6 in the Marine Corps I had a cousin that got a job as janitor in the Indianapolis public school system, he made more per year starting out than I made as a E6 with 10 years in (yes including all pay and allowances). Although I did not choose my career based on money, that doesn't me I don't want to receive any kind of compensation either.

Wow. Might I ask when that was? My point of reference: Six years ago, as a deployed, married E-5, I brought home ~$3,500/month. On top of that, my family had free medical insurance. Not many people my age were netting more than that.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Wow. Might I ask when that was? My point of reference: Six years ago, as a deployed, married E-5, I brought home ~$3,500/month. On top of that, my family had free medical insurance. Not many people my age were netting more than that.

As single MSgt E8 with 23 years, my base pay was $2873.10 a month before tax, after tax take home about $2400.00. Got that from the pay charts. I don't remember what my deployed pay was. During peace time I lived in the barracks and did not receive allowances as a married Marine would.

I remember in 1979 when gas first went over $1.00 a gallon I was wondering where I was going to get money to buy gas for the car if the price kept sky rocketing. :rolleyes:

Edit: forgot to answer the question, 1985.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom