• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I live in the west suburbs of Indy, outside of Marion County. Does anyone know of a decent vet. to recommend for dogs.

I've had issues with most vets., since I returned to Indiana, as my former vet., who's still a good friend out of state, was price conscience, ethical, caring, holistic, yet knew when to use state of the art medical advances. No one's taught these so called professionals to do what you love and the money will follow. Everyone I've dealt with, and it's been a lot, have been all about money, and coincidentally have been women.

I think it's wrong when you fill out the information form for a vet., it has a space to put your occupation. I guess they want to size you up for the kind of bill they think you can pay, or how long to keep your dog alive so the bill keeps adding up.

Letting me know if anyones had any good experiences, and better yet, a vet who isn't a Purdue Grad. Give me a University of Missouri Grad anytime!!:yesway:

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    vet

become your own vet, you can get all of the same vaccinations. the vets use to inject your dog, and a large collection of wormers. use ivermec cattle injectable for heart worms much cheaper.
    None of my dogs have seen a vet in 30 years. one died of mammary gland tumors, not a rich man so i wasnt going to give them that kind of money to treat it. anther passed from stomach torsion. one was 18 years old and couldnt get around anymore.
    Only have 2 dogs now a 16 year mutt that may make it to 20 and yearling maniac mountain cur.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    We take our dogs to Dr. Geckler's office, on Country Club in between Rockville Road and 10th St., for years and have always liked them. We actually see Dr. Kelly most of the time.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    become your own vet, you can get all of the same vaccinations. the vets use to inject your dog, and a large collection of wormers. use ivermec cattle injectable for heart worms much cheaper.
    None of my dogs have seen a vet in 30 years. one died of mammary gland tumors, not a rich man so i wasnt going to give them that kind of money to treat it. anther passed from stomach torsion. one was 18 years old and couldnt get around anymore.
    Only have 2 dogs now a 16 year mutt that may make it to 20 and yearling maniac mountain cur.

Thanks for the advice, and I admit, I have been one going on 20 years now. I helped a vet out from the State I use to live in, and REALLY learned a lot. Taught me all the human/crossover medicines animals can take that humans take. I just really get sick of going to a vet., and they take an attitude if you know more about your dog than they do. I had the same problem with MD's, until I started going to a Doctor who I also was an Eagle Scout with in Boy Scouts. I can talk plainly and honestly to him, which is something I look to in another vet. in this State.

I had to put my beloved 11yr old Dachshund down in June, from Pancreatic Cancer, and my 19yr old Poodle Terrier last week from Prostate/Bladder Cancer. What I find very strange, is the month before, I got them all their shots, and then seemingly they went down hill like a runaway freight train. So, so strange.

I have an 8 year old Border Collie left, and I have enough wormer left over, he may never see a vet the rest of his life.

Thanks for the advice on the ivermectin, and I hope other people post their how to advice for dogs. Unless it's truly a correctable emergency, I truly hate going into a vets office.

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    We too use Dr Geckler on country club road. Our Kennel recommended him a couple of years ago.

1 thing we always try and verify - is that they are familiar with the breed and the particular issues related to it. We have 2 Wheaten Terriers and several vets (around the area) couldn't have picked them out of a crowd.

question - I thought you had to have a Rx to get vet supplies in Indiana (ie - can't order them via the internet - like most states).

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I live in the west suburbs of Indy, outside of Marion County. Does anyone know of a decent vet. to recommend for dogs.
    Bean Blossom Animal Clinic

There is none better...and I doubt anyone will beat his prices.

question - I thought you had to have a Rx to get vet supplies in Indiana (ie - can't order them via the internet - like most states).
    I think you can get everything except the rabies vaccine.

Top Bottom