• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I got into a conversation this afternoon with an individual that told me he vibratory tumbles his ammo to shine it after loading. Now, I've never done this, and I know you don't roll tumble live ammo -

But... does anyone have any guidelines they've found to work with vibrating loaded ammo. Time in tumbler? Media type?

I didn't have the answer, so I'm looking for input from people that have done this.

Thanks !

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    S'not a problem. Tumble as long as you want. No adverse effects on the ammo and completely safe.

Folks always say that it "breaks down the powder", but the vibrations of a long trip in a semi-truck don''t seem to break down the powder.

I do it frequently to get the last of the lube that might be left behind and my fingerprints.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I tumble mine for about 30 mins in corn cob media with some hornady case cleaner in it. I found the case cleaner helps keep down the dust on the shells. Then I lay them on an old towel and rub them down for a few seconds just to make sure the left over dust and junk gets off. Worked good for me so far.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I have done Varget and Titegroup with no problems yet...Clays and IMR too now that I think of it. I used a bullet puller on some of the varget 223 rounds to see if it made a difference and I couldn't tell the difference.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Tumble all you want..

There's no problem tumbling live ammo. A.-go over to TheHighRoad.org and use their search function--it has been hashed out a lot.
    One guy there did extensive test. Heck, I think that he had some in the case cleaner for over 24hrs.!!
    When I want to impress (??) someone with my loads, I will throw them in my Dillon 2000 for a couple of hrs. with corn cob+car polish--they WILL shine then...:rockwoot: Bill.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i did around 1500 762x39's that was store in a damp basement......used walnut...tumble for around 4 hours....all fired just fine...

Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Tumbling live ammo

I started doing this several years ago; I was apprehensive about it but a shooting buddy (a renowned shooter/college professor) told me it was quite safe. I shine up my ammunition for my deer rifle, as I have a bunch of it loaded and it gets a bit dull over the years. Works like a charm.....and the deer never see it comin'!

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    This just SEEMS like such a bad idea. But it others are having no issues, I certainly don't have anything that says otherwise. It just weirds me out a little bit I guess.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I use corncob media for my rifle rounds (I don't bother with pistol) and I usually go 4-5 hours.

As mentioned, there was a test done where the guy doing the test looked at the powder grains under a microscope and there was no visible degradation. He published the results in one of the gun forums, a good bit of testing IMO.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have been loading up a boatload of new LC 09 brass I have been buying. Good stuff but tarnished. I hate tumbling un primed brass so I have been loading them and then tumbling. Using TAC powder and I have had no problems with them. I have also tumbled other tarnished ammo with zero problems. I don't like crappy looking brass.

As far as being unsafe I tend to think that is some more of the internet commando stuff. Kinda like a 5.56 round with missing powder sticking a round in the barrel from the primer ignition.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I came across some ammo I loaded over 20 years ago that was rather tarnished so I tumble them clean., left them in about 6 hours. They all shot, no problem. It was 9 mm and 38. spec using Bullseye and HP 38.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    This just SEEMS like such a bad idea. But it others are having no issues, I certainly don't have anything that says otherwise. It just weirds me out a little bit I guess.

I have a buddie who droped a 12ga shell into a 5 gallon bucket of shells he was reloading and it went off....... scared the @@@@@@@@@@ out of him. Primers can be dangersous. I wont be tumbling any... Just my personal preference.....:popcorn:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have a buddie who droped a 12ga shell into a 5 gallon bucket of shells he was reloading and it went off....... scared the @@@@@@@@@@ out of him. Primers can be dangersous. I wont be tumbling any... Just my personal preference.....:popcorn:
    I have a hard time believing that a person could drop a 12ga. loaded round into a 5 gal. bucket, just right, where the approx 1/16" diameter primer would make full contact with an upright, pointed bullet, to make said 12ga. round go off??:dunno:
    What would be the chances of that-1 in 1 Gazillion or so??:scratch:
    I tend to believe that there's more to the story than this, if it actually happened??:popcorn: Bill..

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I have a hard time believing that a person could drop a 12ga. loaded round into a 5 gal. bucket, just right, where the approx 1/16" diameter primer would make full contact with an upright, pointed bullet, to make said 12ga. round go off??:dunno:
    I tend to believe that there's more to the story than this, if it actually happened??:popcorn: Bill..

+1

The OP should add a poll to this thread so we can see how many have done it with no problems, how many havn't, and how many have done it and ended up having bullet holes in their house.
    I'm willing to bet you wont find anyone that has had problems doing it. It will not grind down the powder either. If that happens ammo wouldn't be shipped in bulk on trucks and other things that would bounce it around and "grind" the powder down.

Now while i havn't done it, i have thought about it lately and would have no hesitation in doing so....In fact i think i'm going to do it to the next batch i make.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +1

The OP should add a poll to this thread so we can see how many have done it with no problems, how many havn't, and how many have done it and ended up having bullet holes in their house.
    I'm willing to bet you wont find anyone that has had problems doing it. It will not grind down the powder either. If that happens ammo wouldn't be shipped in bulk on trucks and other things that would bounce it around and "grind" the powder down.

Now while i havn't done it, i have thought about it lately and would have no hesitation in doing so....In fact i think i'm going to do it to the next batch i make.
    Thanks 45pro+..+1 to you also.
    You know, to think about it, I have never opened a container of bulk powder, that had any packing inside of the container??
    I would think bulk powder, as shipped, especially by truck, would be bounced around a lot. The same way that loaded ammo does. The only difference is the container that the powder is in. (Powder jug vs. loaded cartridge case). This seems to negate the "Old Wives" tale of grinding down the powder, doesn't it??:popcorn:..Bill..:bacondance:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Even though it is probably perfectly safe I can't think of any good reason to tumble live ammo. I do all of the polishing before I load it.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    you can choose to beleive whatg ever you want I dont care but this is a close personal friend and i walked in right after it happened. So it your call........ im not doing it

Last edited:
    Top Bottom