• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Mods sorry if this is wrong location, feel free to move.

So I've been riding Harley's for about 10 years now, love em, but, I hate them too. I like the older traditional nostalgic side of the Harley. But, I'm growing wearing of the cost to maintain these things. I am also about a 12-15,000 mile a year rider, touring model kind of guy!

I'm looking at the Vision with lusty eyes. Has any of you had any experience with Victory? If, so, how do you like them? How do they add up with reliability, cost to maintain? Ultimately, how do they ride? I know I get real tired of that Harley rumble high rpm teeth rattling that starts on your body after about 300 miles of travel riding.

So fire away!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I ride an Ultra. This is going to be my next bike. With an added tour pack of course.

color_r1200rt_ostragrey_preview.jpg

BarryJaxon

Shooter
    Rating - 50%
    0   1   1
    Feb 23, 2011
    Use to see a guy on 69s alot he was on a BMW,I`d say he rode around 300 days a year,rain or light snow or shine,he was dedicated!

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Those BMW's are very nice too, just can't see myself on one of those just yet. 300 days are year is probably what I was doing a year until this year. Those mounting maintenance costs have humbled my daily riding.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    well, the motors on the victory's are essentially the same as a harley, 45* v-twin, overhead valves and pushrods, so the rumble/vibration will be much the same as you're used to (and annoyed by) in your harley. i mean if you're stepping from a wide glide (my bike) to the vision you'll probably be happy with the difference. however if you currently ride a harley bagger (geezer glide) you likely won't notice any improvements with the vision. not to mention those things are BUTT UGLY!! obviously just my opinion :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I bought my Ultra new in March of 07 and have almost 33k on it. I didn't get much of any riding in last year or this year due to building a house and insane overtime this year.

I know what you mean on the maintenance costs. Luckily, the only thing I've had to pay the dealer for was replacing the coil once, a couple tires, and clutch adjustments. I've only had a dealer oil change once and that was for the 30k service. No way am I paying $200+ for an oil change. I just bought 4 quarts of Mobil 1 V Twin synthetic today at just over $40. I need 3.5 quarts so you figure $35 in oil and a $10 filter from the dealer, it's $45 just for a basic oil change. Unfortunately, I don't think the other brands are any better on parts prices. Just better on breakdowns.

I'm 5'8" and my Ultra is ok on the open roads but is just way too big and heavy for town riding. I used to be a diehard Harley man but after putting 5-700 miles in one day, I started caring more about the ride and comfort than the "aura" of owning a Harley. With the BMW R1200RT, I'll shed over 300#, gain 10 mpg, and almost 2 gallon capacity in gas. I can't fathom being able to go 300+ miles without filling up. On the Ultra, I'm looking for a gas station every 150 miles.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    well, the motors on the victory's are essentially the same as a harley, 45* v-twin, overhead valves and pushrods, so the rumble/vibration will be much the same as you're used to (and annoyed by) in your harley. i mean if you're stepping from a wide glide (my bike) to the vision you'll probably be happy with the difference. however if you currently ride a harley bagger (geezer glide) you likely won't notice any improvements with the vision. not to mention those things are BUTT UGLY!! obviously just my opinion :D

Yep, I have a geezer glide as you call it. I agree it is fairly ugly. But, its weird, because its kind of growing on me.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    we were at the boogie this past weekend and met a guy from my area that rides a 06 ultra classic, he's 23!!, said he couldn't pass up the deal, 10,500 with only 8k on the clock............couldn't blame the guy! however, i'm 41, have an 06 wide glide with a (built by me) 120" motor dyno'd at 121hp and 133 ft. lbs tq. i don't beat the hell outta it, 44k on the odometer right now, built the motor at 23k, but every once in a while my right hand get's a little "twisty" :D:D my next bike will be a geezer glide, just ain't giving up my "hotrod" anytime soon!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had a 75 ironhead that I got tired of working on. I made up my mind I was getting a new one. I wasn't about to pay $15k for a superglide. No matter how I compared each model, the Ultra was a way better value as far as what you got for the price. I also knew that going with the Ultra would extend my riding season greatly. I left work when it was 28 degrees one night. I just think the R1200RT will better suit my needs for my next bike at the same or lower price as the Ultra.

Top Bottom