• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Mooresville
    I received my fathers service colt and it was not stored properly. There are 2 small spots that have rust on it, they are small. I don't want to ruin the gun cleaning it. What should I use and how should I go about it. Probably hasn't been cleaned in 25-30 years. Thanks for your help.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    First off - Good for you to have that piece of family history. Second if you have a way to post pictures, I for one would love to see them.

I think this question is debated between "a good gun cleaning solvent will take that off" and "don't touch it for you will erase its provenance". I am of the belief that no matter the firearm's value, I want to shoot it. So after 25 - 30 years I think she deserves a decent field strip, scrubbing, inspection, oiling and finally enjoying. Common cleaners such as Hoppe's is not going to harm the finish and in many cases that I've seen will remove most of the rust depending on how deep it actually is. However, in my experience, that spot will be prone to return.

Many members here can provide good advice. I would recommend this as your first stop in research. The interwebz is a virtual library on the topic.

Good luck to you.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Other than springs... I wouldn't replace anything in that gun. Coat/finish, barrel, etc. That is a piece of history.
    I would most def save the stock spring as well!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK, for restoration, use olive oil (non volatile and what restoration experts use) and brass wool. NEVER EVER use steel wool. Brass wool will not remove finish. After cleaning it up the best you can, preserve it using your favorite preserving oil. Many swear by CLP (which IMHO is second best) but I find that for longer term rust protection, Eezox works better for me.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I want to know how he got it. I wasn't allowed to keep mine. :dunno:

I've known some shady individuals who have disassembled Iraqi and Taliban confiscated AK 47 and smuggled them back to the US. I'm waiting form the day when they tell the wrong person and FBI/NSA/ATF come knocking on their door. Freaking idiots.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I want to know how he got it. I wasn't allowed to keep mine. :dunno:

I have both of my Fathers Korean era issue 1911's a full size service and Commander size dress sidearm. He was discharged for refusing unneeded Tuberculosis treatments and says he left the hospital with them in his duffel and no one ever checked.

Top Bottom