• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I had a recent thread about the M1 Carbine I purchased to surprise my grandfather who carried one during his time in Korea as an M16 Half Track operator (Quad 50).

I'm looking to add to my US Military collection and I've always wanted a Vietnam Era M16. My uncle, David L. Nord, was KIA during the war. I was never able to meet him, but his memories live through my father and the veterans who served by his side.

How much would it cost to put one together (Semi-Auto). I've seen parts kits from $350, but didn't know what else would need to be spent on a lower, disconnector and barrel. I would want the lower and upper to have the same finish so that it appears to be as close as possible from the same time period, so i'm unsure of what I would need to do. I do not own an AR platform, so i'm completely clueless when it comes to a build like this.

Anyone have any pics of a build they did for a Vietnam Era M16A1?

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I built mine with a $300 parts kit from Royal Tiger Imports , $200 barrel from Dez arms, and an $100 Anderson lower (they are cheaper now). AR15sport.com also has barrels that come with a front sight base already installed for $190. I would go that route if I had it to do over again, getting the front sight base mounted proved to be a major headache. It is pretty easy to modify the fire control parts that come with the kit to AR-15 specs, you just need a grinding wheel. Do a search on the internet to find the directions on how to do it and don't believe the people that will tell you that you can't, it is in the appendix of the BATF handbook. I had to replace the buttplate as the one on the buttstock that came with the kit had a crack, but I found a guy in IL that has brand new ones in the govt. package for $8. I had my receivers refinished so that they match each other, but you don't have to do that. You can build the whole thing for roughly $600-$700. If the kit I purchased was any indication, they come from guns that were carried a lot but shot very little. My bolt and all of the other internal parts looked new. It runs great, never had a failure of any kind. PM me if you have any questions or want any help. It's a fun project.

View attachment 30273

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I built mine with a $300 parts kit from Royal Tiger Imports , $200 barrel from Dez arms, and an $100 Anderson lower (they are cheaper now). AR15sport.com also has barrels that come with a front sight base already installed for $190. I would go that route if I had it to do over again, getting the front sight base mounted proved to be a major headache. It is pretty easy to modify the fire control parts that come with the kit to AR-15 specs, you just need a grinding wheel. Do a search on the internet to find the directions on how to do it and don't believe the people that will tell you that you can't, it is in the appendix of the BATF handbook. I had to replace the buttplate as the one on the buttstock that came with the kit had a crack, but I found a guy in IL that has brand new ones in the govt. package for $8. I had my receivers refinished so that they match each other, but you don't have to do that. You can build the whole thing for roughly $600-$700. If the kit I purchased was any indication, they come from guns that were carried a lot but shot very little. My bolt and all of the other internal parts looked new. It runs great, never had a failure of any kind. PM me if you have any questions or want any help. It's a fun project.

View attachment 30273

Wow, yours turned out great! thanks for the info and I will be in contact if I have any questions. I don't have the budget for it at the moment, but its definitely high up on the list and I just wanted to get a jump start of information so that I could begin to research.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    If you don't want to build one it's not that hard to just find a model from the period you're looking for. I had a 1968 SP1 carbine I sold for $1800 a couple of years ago during the height of the AR craze. I suspect they're probably more affordable these days if you want to check Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If you don't want to build one it's not that hard to just find a model from the period you're looking for. I had a 1968 SP1 carbine I sold for $1800 a couple of years ago during the height of the AR craze. I suspect they're probably more affordable these days if you want to check Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc.

You did well, that is a $900 dollar rifle on a good day.

KagA152

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 18, 2013
    Freetown
    I built one with a parts kit I got from centerfiresystems, a PSA blem lower, and the ar15sport.com barrel. After the build I found that Del-ton makes a barrel as well thats about $50 less. Also picked up a surplus sling and an early style 3 prong flash hider. I know the purist wont like the hodgepodge of parts but I'm happy with it. Spent some time on the lower with a sanding sponge and steel wool to give it the weathered look (nowhere near as good looking as the Novak weather). If I had the motivation I would probably do some air brushing on the lower or tie it to the dogs collar for a couple months.
    Capture.JPG

Top Bottom