• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Geese mourners want answers

Thanks PETA. This is the world you're creating. When the killing of 400 birds is called murder, and references are made to their burial in a "mass grave".:rolleyes:

I'd like to propose an alternative to DNR sanctioned murder of these poor animals; we'll release 100 coyotes, 50 bobcats, and a couple mountain lions into the neighborhood where these geese and their supporters live. When those predators figure out that shih tzus, chihuahuas, teacup yorkies, and cats taste better, and are easy to catch than geese, we'll hold a vigil for those poor murdered pets in hopes that their killers turn vegan.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I know a guy in Wisconsin that got a permit to "eliminate" a couple hundred problem geese, had to go to the Wisconsin DNR. They had completely taken over a municipal beach and an adjoining private country club. I heard they had 10-12 guys with AR's just picking them off one by one. Then brought a skid loader in with a bucket and collected the remains.

PETA would have had a heart attack, but they had become a real problem.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm waiting to see how many restaurant owners get the demonstrators out front now.
    I understand and sympathetic to the need to protect wildlife but there's times that the "Herd needs trimmed".
    Sometimes Mother Nature gets interfered with when trying to do her job. It's not at the convenience of humans.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I still don't understand why Canadian geese are a protected species. The darned things are everywhere. It's like having huge packs of flying dogs the way they crap on everything. Now maybe they should be protected in Canada, because I think all of their geese are now living here in the states!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Government birds are what we call them, but they do make a good looking trophy.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Why did they bury them? Why not get together with some processors and see if they would be willing to clean them and donate them to local food pantries? They do it with deer why not geese?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is all over the local social media. They are pest. Just like fly's but bigger. Remove them.

They poisoned a bunch of pigeons down town South Bend 20-25 years ago. At least this time they aren't leaving them to rot in alley ways.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Geese don't vote, at least not legally, so maybe there's a limit on what the government will do for them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was dispatched to a hit and run once. Dispatch was in a panic, the caller made it sound like a bunch of pedestrians had been mowed down and at least two fatalities as two were still in the street and not moving. The suspect vehicle was still in the neighborhood. I was racing up Binford lights and sirens when the dispatcher said one of the injured had gotten to a retention pond and was now sinking. I questioned that a injured pedestrian would go to a pond and jump in. Dispatch apparently clarified things with the caller, and all the dead and injured were a flock of geese. I still responded, but at a much more sedate pace.

When I got there, it looked like a mattress had exploded. It was...something.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You shoulda asked who the caller was, and commenced with a good ole fashioned curb stomping.:rolleyes:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You shoulda asked who the caller was, and commenced with a good ole fashioned curb stomping.:rolleyes:

Oh, I talked to her on the scene. She thought I was going to lock up the neighbor who'd plowed through them. We had a little chat about being a bit more specific during future 911 calls and that I would not be arresting someone for hitting animals in the street.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I was riding in the passenger seat of a friends early/mid 80s trans am years ago, we were probably running 60 mph on a divided 4 lane highway, it was dark, area was unlit. I thought I caught some movement in the road ahead, and before I could say anything about it, we hit a flock of geese! I don't know exactly how many we hit, but visually, the only thing I can compare the experience to is a fireworks display, guts and feathers and beaks flying up and over the hood, it was a sight. This happened probably 30 years ago, and every time I see that guy, we still talk about it.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Oh, I talked to her on the scene. She thought I was going to lock up the neighbor who'd plowed through them. We had a little chat about being a bit more specific during future 911 calls and that I would not be arresting someone for hitting animals in the street.

If you lived in Olney IL and they hit a white squirrel you would.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds like someone should have honked.

I see what you did there.

Really, though, geese are so used to people stopping for them they don't pay any attention to car horns around here.

If you lived in Olney IL and they hit a white squirrel you would.

Somebody might, I wouldn't.

For Indiana, killing of a vertebrate animal requires intent. If I can't prove intent, I'm not making an arrest. Criminal recklessness doesn't apply to animals. No arrest. Now if crazy ex-boyfriend runs over ex-girlfriend's dog while shouting "Take that, Fluffy!!!" you've got intent. Smoking some geese in the road? Nah.

Top Bottom