• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I use Tordon to stop stumps from sprouting again when I clear brush, just squirt some on the stump and it dead.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine...

Hate to say it but BW is right...I inherited immunity to the stuff from my mom, which held for many years...until I unknowingly got into poison sumac with a weed-eater and got covered. Not only did Dawn NOT take it off my skin (saw some actual poison ivy mixed in, took a shower within 15 minutes after liberally slathering on the Dawn), but I am now highly allergic to it as well. Sigh. I now hate the stuff, and it hates me right back.

OP, when you mess with that big scary vine, please make sure you wear fully covering clothing and wash it separately. The sap is NASTY. Just sayin! :twocents:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Gonna have to say I need to get some of that Tordon. Ive been fighting some bush that lives by my fences. Nothing I have tried so far works. As soon as I cut it back to the roots, it sprouts another shoot and grows again. And I cant dig it up because it is hiding under a chain link fence. Just cant get to it.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The easiest way to get rid of these is to cut 6-8" section of each vine near the ground, removing a chunk will kill the vine in the tree and it will fall out with time. I had a tree trimmer show me how to do this at a customers house, and it worked out great and is very simple. It took about 6 months for the vine to die and release from the tree.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bought some Tordon at TSC today. cut back several bushes that like to grow directly under my chain link fence. Cut it back at the ground, and it regenerates by the end of the season, or returns in the spring with new shoots.

If this works, I'll be going nuts with more along my neighbors' fences too.

BTW, the label on that stuff is damn scary.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I bought some Tordon at TSC today. cut back several bushes that like to grow directly under my chain link fence. Cut it back at the ground, and it regenerates by the end of the season, or returns in the spring with new shoots.

If this works, I'll be going nuts with more along my neighbors' fences too.

BTW, the label on that stuff is damn scary.

If you have any desirable trees near the ones you are trying to kill be very careful with the application of Tordon because it can be ground active and harm other trees nearby if you spill some or use too much.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the warning. I applied it by doing my best to drip it on. With just enough to wet the ends of the stalks. I maybe lost a couple drops onto the ground. I didn’t apply it by squeezing the bottle and hosing down the area like round up or ground clear. Closest thing I want to keep is grass and tomato plants but the tomatoes are at least 3’ away.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Thanks for the info. I also recommend tecnu extreme or like products. Scrubbed on within 4 hours of exposure it seems to prevent it as advertised. I used it yesterday after messing with the vine and no rash...and I'm pretty sensitive to poison ivy.

Thanks again
    I've been clearing lots of vines on our property and it has definitely helped with the health of our trees. I wrap a chain around bigger, or stubborn vines and pull them down with our JD gator or Kubota RTV.
    My wife is very allergic to poison ivy and cleans up with Zanfel which works better than Tecnu for her.
    Be careful pulling vines, dead limbs that may fall are called widow makers for a reason.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I don't know where people are getting the "vines strangle my trees" stuff. These aren't strangler figs and we aren't in Florida. Japanese honeysuckle in southern Indiana can damage trees and cause strange growth, but I've never seen one kill a tree. Wild grapevines, virginia creeper and PI can all grow enough to shade a tree (especially grapevines), but they don't wrap around a tree and "strangle" it. They just use it for support.

That being said, when it comes to nature, always remember never to say "always" and "never."

Top Bottom