• ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Want to build an AR-15 pistol....

Question:
    At what point in the purchasing process does a lower receiver get classified as a handgun?

-Do all lower receivers that go to a Distributor come "Virgin" then the FFL then classifies it as "handgun" or "rifle" when they transfer it to the customer?

or

-Does the manufacturer classify the receiver before they send it to the Distributor?

I've read through a few old threads, but they don't seem clear enough to me when considering taking on project that has the potential to end with me behind bars on a formality.

Thanks in advance

-Mike

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Pretty sure a Pistol or Handgun AR has NEVER had a rifle buffer tube on it and has only ever had a pistol buffer tube.

:dunno:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    There must be some confusion on my end then...

When I go to buy a stripped lower for my AR-pistol build... can I chose any standard AR-15 stripped receiver... or do I need to find one that is marked "virgin" ?

The reason I ask is because I see some laser engraved lower receivers I want for my build, but don't know if they fit the billing?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    There must be some confusion on my end then...

When I go to buy a stripped lower for my AR-pistol build... can I chose any standard AR-15 stripped receiver... or do I need to find one that is marked "virgin" ?

The reason I ask is because I see some laser engraved lower receivers I want for my build, but don't know if they fit the billing?

I think Rock River is the only company that marks their lowers as "Pistol" but I could be wrong. As long as its a "Receiver" on the 4473 you should be good to go. And any competent gun shop will do it this way anyway.

So, It would have either be a Virgin (never been built) or be a used Pistol build. I think, I'm not 100% on all of that, but buying a new/never used receiver is the way to go.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    See if this thread helps: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/201232-pistol_lowers.html

As mentioned above and from what I can gather, new, stripped lower receivers are not classified as pistol or rifle, but rather as "receiver" or "other" on the 4473. As long as you are not buying a lower that was originally sold as a complete rifle lower (with rifle buffer) or as part of a complete rifle (barrel and all) you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think Rock River is the only company that marks their lowers as "Pistol" but I could be wrong. As long as its a "Receiver" on the 4473 you should be good to go. And any competent gun shop will do it this way anyway.

So, It would have either be a Virgin (never been built) or be a used Pistol build. I think, I'm not 100% on all of that, but buying a new/never used receiver is the way to go.

Awesome... I think this clears it up perfectly.

I didnt know if there was a "special" type of receiver I needed. I found a new receiver I have my eye on and can't wait to get this new project going.

thanks

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    See if this thread helps: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/201232-pistol_lowers.html

As mentioned above and from what I can gather, new, stripped lower receivers are not classified as pistol or rifle, but rather as "receiver" or "other" on the 4473. As long as you are not buying a lower that was originally sold as a complete rifle lower (with rifle buffer) or as part of a complete rifle (barrel and all) you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link!

Top Bottom