Virgina goes RED, NJ may follow - The 1st cracks of I6BO's downfall...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Not surprising me thinks.
    SOURCE: McDonnell wins Va. governorship, NJ race close - Yahoo! News
    WASHINGTON – Republicans wrested political control of Virginia from the Democrats on Tuesday and New Jersey's unpopular Democratic Gov. Jon Corzine was fighting for his political life as independent voters swung behind the GOP in both states. It was a troubling sign for President Barack Obama and his party heading into an important midterm election year.
    Republican Gov.-elect Bob McDonnell's victory in Virginia over Democrat R. Creigh Deeds was a triumph for a GOP looking to rebuild after being booted from power in national elections in 2006 and 2008. It also was a setback for the White House in a swing state that was a crucial part of Obama's electoral landslide just a year ago.
    In New Jersey, exit polls showed Corzine locked in a close race, with independents heavily favoring his Republican challenger Chris Christie in a three-way contest with independent Chris Daggett.
    The president had personally campaigned for Deeds and Corzine, raising the stakes in low-energy off-year elections.
    Early returns in Virginia showed that by a 2-1 margin McDonnell was winning rapidly growing, far-flung Washington, D.C., suburbs — places like Loudoun and Prince William counties — that Republicans historically have won but that Obama prevailed in last fall by winning over swing voters.
    Democrats had won big victories in Virginia in 2006 and 2008 and consider New Jersey a stronghold.
    But interviews with voters leaving polling stations in both states on Tuesday were filled with reasons for Democrats to be concerned and for Republicans to be optimistic.
    Independents — the crown jewel of elections because they often determine outcomes — were a critical part of the diverse coalition that carried the president to victory in Virginia and across the country. But after more than a year of recession, still early in Obama's term, they fled from Democrats in a state where the economy trumped all. And exit polls indicated they were doing the same in New Jersey.
    The Associated Press exit polls showed that nearly a third of voters in Virginia described themselves as independents on Tuesday, and nearly as many in New Jersey did. They preferred McDonnell by almost a 2-1 margin over Deeds in Virginia, and Christie over Corzine by a similar margin — one year after breaking heavily toward Obama in both states.
    The surveys also suggested the Democrats had difficulty turning out their base, including the swarms of first-time minority and youth voters whom Obama attracted as part of his coalition. The Virginia electorate was whiter in 2009 than it was in 2008, when blacks and Hispanics turned out in droves to elect the country's first black president.
    In both states this year, voters said their top concern was the economy.
    More than four in 10 voters in Virginia said their view of Obama factored into their choice on Tuesday, and those voters roughly split between expressing support and opposition for the president. People who said they disapprove of Obama's job performance voted overwhelmingly Republican, and those who approve of the president favored Deeds, the Democrat.
    The Obama factor was similar in New Jersey, though there were slightly more voters who said the president did not factor into their choice.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Of the two, who I met over the summer, McDonnell was a genuinely nice guy. Christie, I don't really know how to explain it, just sort of felt blah to me. I also got the impression that McDonnell was far more conservative than Christie, but only time will tell.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Sweet!

It's comments like this that have me wondering though:
    “I think, you know, from my looking at it across the country, you know, we have very, very good, tough gun laws in this country, in this state, and I don’t know that we need any more

No sir, NJ does NOT have very very good gun laws

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    But New York's 23rd District is not going so well for the GOP.

Democrat has early lead in northern NY House race
    An upstate NY election takes on outsize importance - Yahoo! News

By VALERIE BAUMAN, Associated Press Writer – 9 mins ago

ALBANY, N.Y. – Democrat Bill Owens had an early lead of 51.4 percent in a special Congressional election in northern New York that grabbed national headlines in its final days as it highlighted divisions within the Republican Party.

Owens led with 51.4 percent to Conservative Doug Hoffman's 43.7 percent with just 29 percent of precincts reporting in New York's 23rd House district.

Republican Dierdre Scozzafava (skoh-zuh-FAH'-vuh), who withdrew from the race Saturday, still picked up 4.9 percent of the vote.

That's with 175 out of 606 precincts reporting in the heavily Republican district.

Some Republicans supported Scozzafava, who favors abortion rights and same-sex marriage, and argued the party needs to be more inclusive. Others backing Hoffman say the party should stay true to its conservative roots.​

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Of the two, who I met over the summer, McDonnell was a genuinely nice guy. Christie, I don't really know how to explain it, just sort of felt blah to me. I also got the impression that McDonnell was far more conservative than Christie, but only time will tell.

How conservative can you be and get elected in the Garden State.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    NY-23 Update between D-Owens and C-Hoffman...
    Voting machine malfunctions may delay election results from four towns in New York's 23rd district, reports the Johnson News Service.

The breakdowns, in Louisville, Waddington, Rossie and Clare, happened earlier today on new voting machines, according to the St. Lawrence County Board of Elections deputy commissioner.

And in Fulton County, results won't be posted online and likely won't be available to the media until tomorrow.

The polls in NY-23 closed at 9 p.m. ET.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Voting machine malfunctions may delay election results from four towns in New York's 23rd district, reports the Johnson News Service.

The breakdowns, in Louisville, Waddington, Rossie and Clare, happened earlier today on new voting machines, according to the St. Lawrence County Board of Elections deputy commissioner.

And in Fulton County, results won't be posted online and likely won't be available to the media until tomorrow.

After all these years and all the advances in technology, how is it that this country cannot count votes properly? If we have such a difficult time counting up a few million votes, how do be expect the government to keep track of TRILLION$ of tax dollars!:rolleyes:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    The dems won in NY:xmad::xmad::xmad::dunno::xmad::xmad::xmad:

When you've got republicans throwing conservatives under the bus, it's no surprise really. They're like that annoying kid who loses at the state fair, and wants to make everyone else lose just to feel better about themselves.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    When you've got republicans throwing conservatives under the bus, it's no surprise really. They're like that annoying kid who loses at the state fair, and wants to make everyone else lose just to feel better about themselves.

:+1:

That's a good analogy. The GOP seems to have really lost their way in upstate NY.

Top Bottom