• Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    One can only hope.

I mean, if VA residents can't be trusted to not circumvent their permitting process (by getting an out-of-state permit), then I certainly don't want those same Virginians over here.

Purple, or not. I don't even know.

I certainly get that!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So, in summary: An anti-gun AG curtails gun owner rights and some gun owners immediately start crying out for additional curtailment of gun owner rights.

l_425836f782ea605a677493ef94b7a52e.jpg

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    FTA:

Herring said severing the out-of-state agreements can prevent people who may be dangerous or irresponsible from carrying a concealed weapon.

“To me, this is a commonsense step that can help make Virginians and our law enforcement officers safer by ensuring that Virginia’s laws on who can and cannot carry a concealed handgun are applied evenly, consistently, and fairly,” he said in a statement provided to The Washington Post.

Let's play "change the context" and see if the logic holds:

Herring said severing the out-of-state agreements can prevent people who may be homosexual from getting married.

“To me, this is a commonsense step that can help make Virginians and our law enforcement officers safer by ensuring that Virginia’s laws on who can and cannot marry are applied evenly, consistently, and fairly,” he said in a statement provided to The Washington Post.

As the progressives tell us: this is settled case law. One state cannot deny the constitutionally protected rights of the residents of other states. I really can't wait for someone to challenge the unconstitutional infringement of non-residents' right to keep and bear arms, using Obergefell v Hodges as the basis of the challenge:

HELD: The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State.

(c) The Fourteenth Amendment requires States to recognize same-sex marriages validly performed out of State. Same-sex couples may now exercise the fundamental right to marry in all States. Since same-sex couples may now exercise the fundamental right to marry in all States, there is no lawful basis for a State to refuse to recognize a lawful same-sex marriage performed in another state on the ground of its same-sex character.

V.

These cases also present the question whether the Constitution requires States to recognize same-sex marriages validly performed out of State. As made clear by the case of Obergefell and Arthur, and by that of DeKoe and Kostura, the recognition bans inflict substantial and continuing harm on same-sex couples.

Being married in one State but having that valid marriage denied in another is one of "the most perplexing and distressing complication" in the law of domestic relations. (Williams v North Carolina) Leaving the current state of affairs in place would maintain and promote instability and uncertainty. For some couples, even an ordinary drive into a neighboring State to visit family or friends risks causing severe hardship in the event of a spouse's hospitalization while across sstate lines. In light of the fact that many States already allow same-sex marriage - and hundreds of thousands of these marriages have already occurred - the disruption caused by the recognition ban is significant and ever-growing.

As counsel for the respondents acknowledged at argument, if States are required by the Constitution to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, the justifications for refusing to recognize those marriages performed elsewhere are undermined. The Court, in this decision, holds same-sex couples may exercise the fuundamental right to marry in all States. It follows that the Court must also hold - and it does now hold - that there is no lawful basis for a State to refuse to recognize a lawful same-sex marriage performed in another State on the ground of its same-sex character.

Replace the non-enumerated "right to marry" with the explicitly enumerated, and protected against any and all infringement, right to keep and bear arms. How could there possibly be any basis for a State to be allowed to continue a "recognition ban" on a carry license lawfully issued to a resident of another State, by that person's State of residence?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So, in summary: An anti-gun AG curtails gun owner rights and some gun owners immediately start crying out for additional curtailment of gun owner rights.

l_425836f782ea605a677493ef94b7a52e.jpg

I don't like it, but it is going to happen. I'm just looking at the one possible bright spot in the otherwise glum news.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    From the article it looks like the dems are in control and using their lack of logic to make people think they are doing something of importance

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just another set back.
    I wonder how many here didn't vote and/or contact their representatives on a regular basis. This is the first step. Be nice and polite but firm when you let them know that you're an informed voter and they're NOT flying under the radar.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The same effect could be reached by adopting MI's law requiring in-state residents to have an in-state licence.

Also, this accomplished nothing with regards to IN, since IN doesn't issue non-resident licecnses, and a VA resident with an IN licence inherently has an invalid/inactive IN license.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Bottom line - I am going to visit folks out East in the next couple of weeks. One of the routes took me through Virginia. I had planned to go there - heck why not. See some new country.

Now I will not stop to even urinate in Virginia. Just as I don't in Illinois...

Sorry for you, Que. But they get to sleep in the bed that they chose at election time.

Don't elect democrats, you don't have this problem. And yeah, I know, Obama hasn't taken any of your guns... blah blah blah. Iguana :poop:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    A more productive solution might be to contact their tourism bureau and let them know that their AG has just made visiting VA impossible for you.

Great idea - thanks for the email address.

Just sent this to them:

I live in southern Indiana and was planning to drive through on my way to visit relatives in NC. I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon in Indiana. As a result of your Attorney General’s decision to not respect my rights, I will not be able to visit your otherwise lovely state. I will choose another route to the south where my rights are respected. Not one dime of my tourism money will be spent in Virginia – as I had originally planned.

I am not sending this to be snarky – but merely to let you know whom you may thank for hanging out the “Not welcome” sign. Where I am not welcome, I will not go.

Kind regards,

[AP]

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Great idea - thanks for the email address.

Just sent this to them:

I live in southern Indiana and was planning to drive through on my way to visit relatives in NC. I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon in Indiana. As a result of your Attorney General’s decision to not respect my rights, I will not be able to visit your otherwise lovely state. I will choose another route to the south where my rights are respected. Not one dime of my tourism money will be spent in Virginia – as I had originally planned.

I am not sending this to be snarky – but merely to let you know whom you may thank for hanging out the “Not welcome” sign. Where I am not welcome, I will not go.

Kind regards,

[AP]

just sent an email too.....i have family in NC too....

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I wonder if the AG did this on his own or if he was being influenced from others like maybe, the White House. Either way, we have a lot more work to do to reclaim our rights.

Top Bottom