• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    You also have to extend that to All the club officers.

The guys that put in 2-5 hours at a match put in 10 hours prepping for it and the bigger picture are making sure you have a place to shoot.

So when you get miffed that a guy won't take quarters for your match fee why don't you jump in your car drive down to the bank change those quarters for dollars and come back. And see that you just spent 1.5 hours because all you had was quarters.

Yup there are a lot of unsung hero's in this line of hobby so if you have 30 minutes jump in there and work while your telling your 1911 story or your big deer story, if every one is working they will still be able to hear you.

BTW your boat comparison is good but try owning a Pool, at least a boat you get to store for a few months, Even a darn pool needs help through the winter sometimes

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I just recently realized that it's a volunteer a few months back after shooting a year at FNS. I help the tear down after each match, and on occasion, do the score or do the timer. Set up i can't do due to work sched. Not familiar with uspsa scoring yet.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Just a note to add to the topic...the hotter it gets, the more important it is for everyone to step up. Please remember that. Everyone is hot, but the RO and scorekeeper gets to run that stage several times before he even gets to shoot. I have personally about went out twice in the last few years from heat.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just a note to add to the topic...the hotter it gets, the more important it is for everyone to step up. Please remember that. Everyone is hot, but the RO and scorekeeper gets to run that stage several times before he even gets to shoot. I have personally about went out twice in the last few years from heat.

Excellent point.
    At one of the ,matches at my club last year we had an s.o. and a darn good paster suffer the effects. They both came out of it ok after time spent cooling off and drinking water and feeling weak and sickly.
    Other thing is that getting too hot is not the best thing for attentiveness and decision making.
    The o.p. (I'm guessing here, but his group would come up as my group was finishing and he seemed to be shrinking a little more each stage :)) and yours truly probably got as much sun as they needed yesterday.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    Boss/All,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. A lot of good points have been made. With the participants in this thread, we are 'preaching to the choir'.

Due to schedule constraints, I only shoot at SCGC. We are fortunate that to a person, everyone in our squad is willing to help throughout the match. We try to get the first-time shooters on our squad, to help ensure they have a positive experience and are included in resetting the stages (start them out right :).

I'd like to see members of squad apply 'peer pressure' to the members who may not be as active as they could be, so the RO doesn't have to continually harp at them.

We (SCGC crew) are continually trying new things to streamline setup and teardown. We changed our sign in process to ensure the squads have near equal numbers. BTW, we are always open to suggestions.

Good and timely thread...

Thanks,

Craig

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    great post. I help out at our club as much as I can. Like you said someone has to do it. We get tired and burnt out but we go on to keep the sport alive. And we are human so we will make mistakes from time to time. We help each other out thats what were there for. And to have a good time enjoying our sport. Again great post. Stay safe and carry on.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Excellent point.

The o.p. (I'm guessing here, but his group would come up as my group was finishing and he seemed to be shrinking a little more each stage :)) and yours truly probably got as much sun as they needed yesterday.

Actually our squad was kinda messed up they combined 2 smaller squads and we also had a couple of new shooters. Darrel C. was R.O. on the other squad that merged with us so we had 5 different people running the timer during the day. I probably ran the timer less at this match than any of the others this year. I actually felt a little guilty but everytime I asked for the timer they said I got it. So I pasted alot when I didn't get my hands on the timer.
    That is the way I wish it was at every match:D
    I hate the heat and do fade fast when it's hot:(
    I can't believe how fast the match moved without any steel to reset.
    I usually don't look forward to NO matchs but they are fun. I like steel and tough shots so I can hopefully make up some ground on the autos with the revolver. I did cut loose a little and see how fast I could push some shots and see what I could get away with.;)

Top Bottom