• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    at least on a Saiga 12 with slugs... Here's the story.

I recently got a Chaos rail with HK sights, so I went out today to "zero" the sights with Winchester Value pack slugs from Wally. 5 rounds, 4" high and 3" left at 45 yards. 5 more rounds, same result. Loosen rear sight, slide to right, retighten. After crushing a piece of .22 mag brass to shim up the front sight, I notice that my PolyTac flashlight has almost come out of the VTac, towards the muzzle. Shim front sight, reposition and tighten Vtac. 5 more slugs, still a little left and the flashlight has slid forward again.

This is a bummer, as the Vtac/PolyTac combo has held up to over 1k of 5.56/.223 without any issues. I guess I need a stouter mount for 12 ga.

I'm thinking D.D., Gear Sector, Elzetta, LaRue... anyone have suggestions? Especially with a PolyTac and a Saiga. Here's a pic of the way I was running it, but I'm not married to it.

PB123001.jpg

PB032973.jpg

PB032970.jpg

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    A. Your saiga is badass, and i'd love to see a full picture with the stock.

B. Try this: Head down to your local bicycle store and pick up a blown inner tube from a 10sp or courier type bike (should be free), cut a section a little longer than the length of the mount and slip that over your flashlight. Put both in the mount and try again. I had a similar issue with 2 different mounts on my saiga. The light i was using (aluminum) didn't have coarse enough knurling for the mount to bite onto. My bike tire fix solved the problem and the tire was free so total cost was nothing. Hopefully that'll work for you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Perhaps part of the problem is that your light is mounted so far forward in the mount. With that much of the light hanging off the end, I imagine the recoil is causing it to bounce around and loosen the mount.

I would suggest moving the light back a little ways, so that the mount is more toward the middle of the light body, giving it more balance.

Whatever you decide, keep us updated!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have the same mount and light on my Sig. The mount was designed to hold the Surefire lights and the Polytac isn't as big in diameter as my Surefire G2. The addition of the ridges to aid in a solid grip on the Polytac also gives the mount less surface area to grip to. I have electrical tape wrapped around the Polytac to keep it on place. I may just put My G2 in it, but it's an issued light and use it elsewhere.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Perhaps part of the problem is that your light is mounted so far forward in the mount. With that much of the light hanging off the end, I imagine the recoil is causing it to bounce around and loosen the mount.

I would suggest moving the light back a little ways, so that the mount is more toward the middle of the light body, giving it more balance.

Whatever you decide, keep us updated!

Too lazy to take a pic, but the position it was in was perfect for where my thumb rests with the AFG. The rail is too big (or my hand is too small) to get my thumb over the top rail and having it that far forward just works. Other than the falling out part...:rolleyes:

I'd try the inner tube trick (duh!), but after the OP I managed to break the VTac. I over tightened it to the point that the plastic under the hex bolt that tightens the light got, ummm, severed by the bolt. Opps! I musta been all hopped up on testosterone from firing the S12... Or I could be stooopid. Anyways, the Streamlight is now in a cheesy Safariland mount made for a pistol. As Poe once said, "I have my doubts."

Here's a fully nude profile of Natasha; even my wife says she's hot!
    PB123009.jpg

Here's what I can't do with the Saiga due to the rail size.
    PB122994.jpg

:ingo:

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    REAL NICE!!!

If you're looking to switch up your grip you can try one of these.
    00-02-03-08-0058.jpg

krebs canted vertical grip adapter with a vfg. Your light'll ride right in the grove.

Top Bottom