• ...and so much more!
  • ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Okay,

I know it is not and AK and it is not an SKS it is kind of looks like an AK SKS love baby lets call in an AKS? Truth be told I am not a huge fan of the AK's I know I just lost some readers. I am also not really wanting to get into the entire AR platform thing and I love the 7.62X39 round. I have read a lot about these and most everything I have heard is ALL GOOD. Does anyone here own one, shoot one, love one? Looking for real world experience and honest thoughts.

vz58side2kx4.jpg

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    I had one of the early ones made by CZ. Rifle functioned perfectly. Never had a problem but, did find that the proprietary mags can be hard to find.

If you can find a few mags I'd say you've got a workable platform. Enjoy.

-G

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I had a Century VZ-2008 and loved it as well. Very solid platform. Though it is milled, it is lighter than an average stamped AK. The folding stock is rock solid. I greatly regret getting rid of mine but I have a lot in the AK platform and am weird that way.

These have come back on the market recently and AIM had a nice package for $500, almost bought one.

Czech VZ58 (Century Arms Mod VZ2008) 7.62x39 Rifle

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The VZ58 is one of my favorites, and the lower price of the VZ2008 is very much worth it.

Century gets a lot of negative criticism for some of their rifle builds, but the VZ2008 isn't one I hear bad things about. I'll never let mine go, that's for sure. Accurate and reliable and a little more $ than an SKS.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Don't tell anyone else, but these are awesome. I am not really an AK guy even though I have owned a handful in the past. Just never did it for me. I do, however, like the 7.62x39 round and the more I looked into the VZ58 the more I liked about them. One thing to note though is that some of the century built vz2008's (which is mostly what you see these days) had some issues with the striker following the bolt back home resulting in the next round chambered, but no sttriker held back to fire it. I happen to have one of these rifles that exhibits that problem on occasion. If you google search " VZ58 gremlin" you should come up with some threads on the topic and it will be explained in a much more concise manner. The problem lies in that the trigger group is a striker fired design rather than hammer style. The mechanism works as designed in full auto, but when converted to semi-auto, there needs to be a tab PROPERLY welded to the bolt carrier to allow proper timing with the trigger group. My rifle has the tab welded in place, but was a very poor job and doesnt reliably work. This can be fixed however by replacing the carrier or re-welding the tab in place. I just haven't gotten around to the job. With that caveat, this is an exceptional rifle. Shares a similar gas system to the SKS with cosmetics similar to an AK. Fire control group in this design is totally unique and actually makes for a pretty good trigger pull/break/reset. They are very durable rifles, lock back the bolt on the last round and are extremely lightweight and balanced. Also, if you get a folder version, you will wanna use a muzzle break of some kind as the wire folder likes to dig into the cheek on recoil. I wrapped mine with 3 or 4 layers of paracord and the larger diameter makes it a little more tolerable.

Above is my experience with the rifle and in my opinion the VZ58 a winner as long as you can get the "Gremlin" figured out and or find a rifle that has been properly built. There is also a lot of information about them on the AKforum.net.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have a Czechpoint VZ.58 pistol that will eventually get the SBR treatment, and though I have yet to shoot it, love it!
    parts are harder to find for some things, but it's a cool piece.

VZ-304 and Trijicon TA-26 on a Czechpoint VZ.58 pistol.

1375649_574601605910228_1685121783_n.jpg

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I had a Century VZ-2008 and loved it as well. Very solid platform. Though it is milled, it is lighter than an average stamped AK. The folding stock is rock solid. I greatly regret getting rid of mine but I have a lot in the AK platform and am weird that way.

These have come back on the market recently and AIM had a nice package for $500, almost bought one.

Czech VZ58 (Century Arms Mod VZ2008) 7.62x39 Rifle

Thanks for the link. I am working on rounding funds for my next toy and this may be the one. You are correct in that I think they are almost a pound lighter than the AK, have a milled receiver, and they also saw they have less felt recoil.....sounded like a win win!

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Don't tell anyone else, but these are awesome. I am not really an AK guy even though I have owned a handful in the past. Just never did it for me. I do, however, like the 7.62x39 round and the more I looked into the VZ58 the more I liked about them. One thing to note though is that some of the century built vz2008's (which is mostly what you see these days) had some issues with the striker following the bolt back home resulting in the next round chambered, but no sttriker held back to fire it. I happen to have one of these rifles that exhibits that problem on occasion. If you google search " VZ58 gremlin" you should come up with some threads on the topic and it will be explained in a much more concise manner. The problem lies in that the trigger group is a striker fired design rather than hammer style. The mechanism works as designed in full auto, but when converted to semi-auto, there needs to be a tab PROPERLY welded to the bolt carrier to allow proper timing with the trigger group. My rifle has the tab welded in place, but was a very poor job and doesnt reliably work. This can be fixed however by replacing the carrier or re-welding the tab in place. I just haven't gotten around to the job. With that caveat, this is an exceptional rifle. Shares a similar gas system to the SKS with cosmetics similar to an AK. Fire control group in this design is totally unique and actually makes for a pretty good trigger pull/break/reset. They are very durable rifles, lock back the bolt on the last round and are extremely lightweight and balanced. Also, if you get a folder version, you will wanna use a muzzle break of some kind as the wire folder likes to dig into the cheek on recoil. I wrapped mine with 3 or 4 layers of paracord and the larger diameter makes it a little more tolerable.

Above is my experience with the rifle and in my opinion the VZ58 a winner as long as you can get the "Gremlin" figured out and or find a rifle that has been properly built. There is also a lot of information about them on the AKforum.net.

Thanks for the great advice on these. I have had a hand full of SKS's and really enjoyed shooting them....you know this is back when you could pick them up for $125.00.....WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    What about optics? The SKS always tried mounting them on the bolt shroud on the back of the receiver...this never made since to me because that thing was everything BUT stable. I am leaning in the direction of a rail mount in front of the receiver?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They're a little heavy but very well made. I regret not buying one off a friend that had 15 mags to it. Wasn't in the market for it and at the time didn't even really want an AK. He used it as a hog gun, never had an issue out of it

Now I have 2 AKs and would rather have 1 VZ58 and an AK

They're solid though, that's for sure

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I own a Czechpoint VZ-58. Nice rifle. I didn't want an AK variant, but liked the design of the VZ-58... so.

Check out this web link. It is a very nice page that shows the differences of the VZ-58, and AK. A lot of pictures too.

VZ-58 vs AK-47

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The only reason I went AKMS rather than VZ-58 was magazine and parts availability. Had the magazines been compatible with the AK platform, I'd be a big VZ-58 fan.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I own a Czechpoint VZ-58. Nice rifle. I didn't want an AK variant, but liked the design of the VZ-58... so.

Check out this web link. It is a very nice page that shows the differences of the VZ-58, and AK. A lot of pictures too.

VZ-58 vs AK-47

Okay that was a nice read and I loved all the pictures. One thing that I did notice was the quality. The VZ "Look" like it has a LOT nicer fit and finish than the AK pictures. A lot of the AK parts looked like they were done by a monkey with a Dremel. Sorry AK fans that's just what I saw. Does this make it a better firearm? I don't think so but it was something I saw right off the bat. I also understand the parts availability issue and find parts for the VZ will be a little harder to come by. But I also don't see me running so many rounds through it I break something either.

Thanks to everyone with your input on this and I look forward to hearing more. Any accuracy testimony?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The Vz-58 is far better in many ways than a standard AK. I liked the one I used to have, but didn't really like it in the AK chambering. I wish a 5.56 version was more available than perpetually "sold out"

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    They are not bad guns, but the fixed stock is a little short for me, same with the pistol grip, and the surplus wire stocks again were short and seemed a bit flimsy(but Im 6'4 so you probably wont have that issue)

That being said, the VZ-58s tend to have better workmanship then the the crappy romanian import AKs you see around here. With a proper stock and pistol grip its a fine weapon, though you have problems finding accessories, mags, and parts.

So how I view it
    Cheap Romanian and demilled parts AKs>Yugo, Polish, east german AKs=Vz-58>Arsenal AK

From my view point on the AKs, its really hard to beat the copies of the ak century series the optics either mounted on an ultimak or the side rail, the 74 style brake, and the out of the box NATO or Warsaw pact side folding stock

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I've got the Czechpoint VZ 58 with Fab Defense furniture looks great, shoots great. Never had an issue with it.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Too many AK mags to justify another platform, but If I found one cheap id be all over it!

Fun Fact: In the movie Lord of War, the racks of "AK's" in the background of the storehouse that Nicholas Cage is walking around in are actually all VZ58's!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Too many AK mags to justify another platform, but If I found one cheap id be all over it!

Fun Fact: In the movie Lord of War, the racks of "AK's" in the background of the storehouse that Nicholas Cage is walking around in are actually all VZ58's!

Another fun TV fact, this most recent season of "Strike Back" On Cinemax, the operators used VZ58's almost exclusively. They were SBR'ed with optics and suppressors.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Top Bottom