• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    i've read a lot of mixed things on the VZ2008, but on ingo people seem to like them. I have been looking for an ak47 type rifle for around 500 and this rifle fits the bill. if SHTF and you could only take one of your rifles, would it be the vz? also where can i go in the indianapolis area to handle one, do any local shops have them? if you bought yours online, please tell me where.

thanks.:cool:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    i've read a lot of mixed things on the VZ2008, but on ingo people seem to like them. I have been looking for an ak47 type rifle for around 500 and this rifle fits the bill. if SHTF and you could only take one of your rifles, would it be the vz? also where can i go in the indianapolis area to handle one, do any local shops have them? if you bought yours online, please tell me where.

thanks.:cool:

Any information you need on this rifle GATOR762 will tell you everything you need to know;) Just remember that this rifle doesn't take AK mags

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Any information you need on this rifle GATOR762 will tell you everything you need to know;) Just remember that this rifle doesn't take AK mags

lol yes i replied to his post in the other thread, but was seeking a more hasty reply. thus a new thread was born. i knew this one would attract his attention and hopefully that of other vz owners :):

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Shoot me a PM with your phone number and if you are local and cool, I might be a nice guy and let you come shoot mine. I will charge a nominal fee for ammo.
    Me and Gator are brothers from other mothers. We run a lot of the same gear.

Warning: The Following will be scatterbrained and could be hard to read, but is jam packed with great information. Sorry, but its 1am, I'm tired, and will come back and post pics and organize this tomorrow.

VZ 2008s are awesome. They are well made. You can get them for under $400 at several places. Do a google shopping search for VZ2008. Then figure $20 for FFL transfer fee.
    The best places to get parts and accessories for these are:
    Czechpoint - Products - Spare parts and accessories - vz. 58 parts & accessories
    Czech SA VZ-58 / CZ-858 (P?chotní, Výsadkový)
    SA VZ58/858 : Neit Designs Company, Your Gun, Your Way
    That will get you just about any and every stock, grip, forearm, part, magazine, etc you could want.

There are 5 stock options available:
    Standard wood impregnated polymer
    Skeletonized sporter
    Side Folder (personal fav)
    M4 style buffer tube adapter
    one that has adjustable LOP and cheek height

There are 5 forearm styles available for them:
    Standard wood impregnated polymer
    black synthetic
    Mako/FAB Defense Polymer with PIC rails (black, tan, green)
    TROY Battle Rail
    B&T Quad rail (personal fav, most expensive)

There are a few pistol grips available, and an AR pistol grip adapter that is designed for the AK, but can be massaged to fit.
    There are bolt carriers with left handed charging handles for you righties.
    There are extended mag releases, ambi safeties, quad rails, M4 buffer tube stock adapters with cantilever rails and all kinds of stuff out there for these.

The VZ 2008 field strips in seconds, and when field stripped, consists of about 9 parts:
    The rear dust cover, action return spring and guide rod, and the striker spring and striker spring guide rod are all self contained, and retained with a push pin that is retained within the receiver.
    The bolt carrier group remains self contained until the striker is pulled rearward, then the bolt and locking piece can be removed.
    The upper hand guard is retained buy a pushpin, and once removed allows the gas piston and gas piston return spring to be removed.
    It literally takes 10 seconds to field strip this rifle in stock form, and about 5-10 minutes to restore it to a like-new-in-box kinda clean.

The VZ has a last round bolt hold open built into the receiver that is activated by the magazine. That is a necessary feature in my mind.

The stock can be easily removed with one bolt, as can the pistol grip. The lower portion of the forearm can be removed by knocking one pin out and pulling it off. The muzzle is threaded the same as the AK, 14x1 right hand. The rifle has a functioning bayonet lug. Also, the receiver is WIDE OPEN, and SOO EASY TO CLEAN!!!!
    Unloaded, the rifle weighs 6.42lbs, a loaded mag is 1.5lbs, so you are talking about under 8lbs fully loaded with 30 rounds of 7.62x39!!!!! Thats a full 1.5lb lighter than a fully loaded STAMPED AK!!! and this thing is MILLED STEEL!!!!! Also the VZ mags weigh half of what a steel AK mag does, while being structurally stronger.
    It has AK style sights, adjustable for elevation to 800m. There are fiber optic front sights, and peep rear sights available for them. Also, it is very easy to mount an optic using either a railed handguard, or cantilever mount.

Last edited:

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I know some about the vz2008 GUNMAN41MAG ! I know I was looking for the perfect battle rifle for about 4years i went from AK's,RPK,REM.7400,HK 91,FAL,AR and AR10. So I keep going back to the AK untill I found the vz2008, it is what I was looking for and i went thew alot of money. Ya I ended up with some nice guns, and I got rid of a few but Im glad I ran across the vz2008.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    So what's the difference between the $400ish ones and the $750-850ish ones? Looks like the cheaper ones were assembled here in the States on a US receiver??? Also most of the cheaper ones seem to be Century... any issues? Pro, Con, etc??

Just trying to learn with out spending heavily to do it... :D

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    The more expensive ones are imported by CzechPoint Inc out of Knoxville TN. They are made by D-Technik, which is in the Czech Republic. They have to be imported with the one piece skeletonized stock for BATFE reasons, and then CzechPoint installs the other furniture. The cheaper ones are assembled in USA, by Century. I am not sure what receiver they are using, but I know it is American, as is the barrel. I am pretty sure most of the rest of the parts are either new-old stock or surplus pieces from parts kits. All the parts in my rifle look new, with the exception of the gas piston, which had some discoloration, and the folding stock.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    So are the Century CZ's ok? I usually hear cough and sputter about "some good - some bad" when the Century name is attached...

Mine has run flawless for 360 rounds now. Gator has I think 80-100 through his, all flawless. Century hit a home run with this one. Understand that I am a parts wiggler, and a trynbreaker. If there's something on the rifle that was gonna give, it woulda gave by now.

Buy with confidence. If it breaks, you can send it back and they will fix it. If you don't like it, show me your receipt, and I will buy it from you for 10- 20% less than what you paid, depending on condition. It's a win win.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I've ran around 450-500 (had to open another case) and it has run flawless. If something that i have and it does not work i will not talk good about it. And so far its been great. Had cheek slap with the folding stock, other than that not a thing wrong. I put paracord around stock and fixed the slap.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom