Wabash College- thoughts, opinions... Have a teen that is considering Wabash...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Bumping up an older thread as I have a HS junior researching colleges. He is smart..gets excellent grades, takes AP classes and currently plans to attend med school after undergrad. From what I’ve been finding it seems like Wabash would be an excellent fit.

any INGOers have recent experience with Wabash? Or anything maybe not mentioned above or to reiterate that might steer a prospective student toward or away from serious consideration?
    we plan to visit campus sometime in the next month or so.

Last edited:

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    I can't speak to the college, but had a former co worker that lived just off campus. Due to some of the demographics changes in that area of town you would find some scary stuff happening after dark...

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I can't speak to the college, but had a former co worker that lived just off campus. Due to some of the demographics changes in that area of town you would find some scary stuff happening after dark...
    Haven’t spent much time in Crawfordsville. Are you talking drugs…violent crime…burglary?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Wabash actually still offers a more traditional pre med major. And they apparently work really hard with these kids to get them prepared for medical school with a 90% placement rate. https://www.wabash.edu/academics/medicine

This is a phenomenally bad idea, please for the love of god do not let your son get a straight up “pre med” degree that is the worst idea you can possibly have.

I know everyone thinks that they will get into medical school, they won’t. The entire time I was at IUK ONE kid got in and he had a legitimate 3.97 GPA and was the president of the on campus STEM Club.

Have him get a degree in something actually useful and just take the pre med classes separately or potentially do a dual degree because pre-med classes (AKA the classes needed to take the MCAT basically give you a Biology or Chemistry degree).

I did this and ended up with a biology degree, graduated with a 3.70 gpa and even Indiana University Med School (that has a strong preference for in state) told me to take a hike. It took me 4 years of busting my ass in a lab for $20~ an hour to get promoted and out of the lab.

Again this is a BAD idea, send him to IU or Purdue and pay in state tuition. If he gets in he will be even happier he didn’t spend extra on his undergraduate.

Not saying he can’t do it, just statistically it does not work out. For perspective I started with 80~ students in my Gen Chem 1 class and by the time the semester was left there were 35 left. By the time Biochemistry rolled around there were 8 left.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    With all due respect to Wabash, may I suggest, if it must be a smaller university, from personal experience, that your son take a look at Depauw University which is in Greencastle. Both schools have a great "Alumni Mafia" that really supports their graduates. One big advantage Depauw has is that it is co-ed. Best of luck! :wavey:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    This is a phenomenally bad idea, please for the love of god do not let your son get a straight up “pre med” degree that is the worst idea you can possibly have.

I know everyone thinks that they will get into medical school, they won’t. The entire time I was at IUK ONE kid got in and he had a legitimate 3.97 GPA and was the president of the on campus STEM Club.

Have him get a degree in something actually useful and just take the pre med classes separately or potentially do a dual degree because pre-med classes (AKA the classes needed to take the MCAT basically give you a Biology or Chemistry degree).

I did this and ended up with a biology degree, graduated with a 3.70 gpa and even Indiana University Med School (that has a strong preference for in state) told me to take a hike. It took me 4 years of busting my ass in a lab for $20~ an hour to get promoted and out of the lab.

Again this is a BAD idea, send him to IU or Purdue and pay in state tuition. If he gets in he will be even happier he didn’t spend extra on his undergraduate.

Not saying he can’t do it, just statistically it does not work out. For perspective I started with 80~ students in my Gen Chem 1 class and by the time the semester was left there were 35 left. By the time Biochemistry rolled around there were 8 left.
    Thanks for the perspective. It’s worth having a backup plan or 2nd major to fall back on for sure. Lots of things to think about but some of the strongest schools in the country do offer a pre med program. https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-with-pre-medicine-studies/

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    With all due respect to Wabash, may I suggest, if it must be a smaller university, from personal experience, that your son take a look at Depauw University which is in Greencastle. Both schools have a great "Alumni Mafia" that really supports their graduates. One big advantage Depauw has is that it is co-ed. Best of luck! :wavey:
    Can you elaborate more on that personal perspective? is that specific to what you’ve experienced about Wabash or what you experienced at Depauw? Would love to hear more. Thank you.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Thanks for the perspective. It’s worth having a backup plan or 2nd major to fall back on for sure. Lots of things to think about but some of the strongest schools in the country do offer a pre med program. https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-with-pre-medicine-studies/

Med School is like the academic version of BUDS, but with an even higher wash out rate. Dual chemistry / biology major who worked in IU’s academic advising department so I had access to ALL the grades.

And just because some of the strongest schools offer it does not mean they are good degrees, Harvard has a gender studies degree.

Now keep in mind an under qualified med school candidate is generally a very well qualified graduate school candidate so there are options. I just cannot stress how much I would advise against just doing a straight pre-med degree.

Biomedical Engineering is a great option, it fulfills 100% of the pre-med pre-reqs and offers a lucrative career path otherwise.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Vincennes University junior college has accredited classes that transfer directly to Purdue. Can't say exactly which ones now but their pre-engineering used to.

As others mentioned, a degree or classes leading to a solid career to "fall back on" would be a good back up plan. I recall a family doctor growing up that had engineering as his undergrad studies degree.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Vincennes University junior college has accredited classes that transfer directly to Purdue. Can't say exactly which ones now but their pre-engineering used to.

As others mentioned, a degree or classes leading to a solid career to "fall back on" would be a good back up plan. I recall a family doctor growing up that had engineering as his undergrad studies degree.

Always have a back up plan, my Junior year we had a new freshman student who was gung ho on the whole pre-med thing even got a vanity plate for his car saying “pre-med”. Poor guy broke down and dropped out when he failed Chemistry 2 :lmfao:

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Haven’t spent much time in Crawfordsville. Are you talking drugs…violent crime…burglary?
    Worked with the guy for about 2 years. He had his car broken into a couple times while parked in front of his house. He mentioned a few of the local bars would have a rough night here and there involving the police.

Top Bottom