• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    It seems there is a large number of new firearm owners on here.(which is awesome by the way). In all the excitement of owning a new gun its imperative to remember basic safety. My good friend is in the emergency room this morning. He shot himself in the hand with a baby Browning 25. He is a 65 year old gun dealer who has been handling weapons his whole life. He was cleaning it and thought it was unloaded. Shattered bone in hand and almost severed a finger. Luckily he missed his wife. Remember saying sorry doesn't help if you kill someone. I personally know of a couple more accidents that happened lately, but this one goes to show how important the 4 rules of gun handling should be applied at all times.
    Sorry to hear about your friend ..... NOT to bash, but B4 I "clean" any gun, I drop the mag., lock the slide to the rear, inspect the chamber, and go on to diss., from there .....

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Lol. I guess I need to put my guns away. I drink a lot, but I ALSO REMEMBER THE SAFETY RULES. Having a few drinks doesn't mean you can get careless.

Not to criticize you at all but he was also very aware, as his dad started the gun club at crane and was a competition level shooter. He taught gun safety. That said, he was drunk and was messing with the gun and what happened, happened. I drink a lot also, but I will never forget that night and I hope I never pick one up after a drink just like I don't drive anymore after drinking.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

There are Four Rules. If you follow them, you will not add holes to yourself or others.

I know that the Four Rules are not hip and cool. I know that it is cool to say that they are "outdated" or do not apply to you because you are so friggin' tactical and stuff.

However, if you follow the Four Rules you will not be in pain and you will not give gun owners a black eye.

Glocks, arguably the most popular platform in use today, require that you pull the trigger to strip it.

Not every gun out there is our gun. Be a student of weapons, not of one's particular weapon.:D

you CAN field strip a glock without pulling the trigger.

Lock slide to the rear, depress spacer sleever relieving tension on the rear plate and slide the rear plate off. Then, flip the gun over and out pops the striker. Then release the slide lock and the trigger will be at the rear allowing a field strip.

Glockslide_zps50adda1e.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Lol. I guess I need to put my guns away. I drink a lot, but I ALSO REMEMBER THE SAFETY RULES. Having a few drinks doesn't mean you can get careless.

One time I lost my bottle opener and was about 35 bottles of beer into the day. I decided if I wanted to continue, I'd better do what needed to be done. I held the bottle in one hand and the gun in the other. Took 3 shots and 2 dogs (the neighbors) but I got that damn bottle open.

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    I`m sorry. I`m sorry for the OP, and for anybody else that has had an accident wirth a gun. I try my best to be safe when handling weapons. I love touching my guns, and I love a little booze. :) So far, thanks to God, nothing bad has happened.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I carry an M&P and I most certainly do NOT have to pull the trigger to break it down. Glocks I can't speak to since I don't use them.

in addition the same is true for the stiker fired XDm, never had to pull the trigger.

I carry an M&P too. You don't have to pull the trigger, you can release the sear instead. But I think most people pull the trigger because it is easier, and reduces the chance of leaving your gun inoperable (I'm not deactivating the sear on my carry gun). XD's, PPQ's, and surely other striker fired guns require the trigger pulled also.

Again, my point is that sometimes people pull the trigger besides from just playing cowboy commando (pew pew ;)). Dry firing is also important for serious shooters. So always triple check that the gun AND magazine well is empty, and always, always point it in a safe direction.

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    At this point it doesnt do much good to talk about how he has safely owned and handled guns for 50+ years. Only 1 accident. He always clears his weapons b4 cleaning also... until for some unknown reason he simply forgot. It can happen. He may have had 15 handguns out and cleared 14 of em.I always clear mine also and since this "hit" so close to home, im sure it will help me to stay focused. I do occasionally carry a .25. I think its a nice little option. And deadly. I like my 45 its a better self defense round. So what I also carry a knife when a sword would be a much better self defense option.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Part of the problem comes from the left's complete censor of any safety training for the general public. There is no gun safety taught in schools, yet our kids are taught about birth control, drowning and other safety issues. There are no public service messages on the TV regarding the 4 rules, but there are messages about texting while driving, drinking while driving and other stuff.

There is a lot of talk about taking guns away in the name of safety but zero attention to promoting safety to those that are not into guns.

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    Good point! I guess I never thought about it like that. Seems a lot of other things are being systematically pushed in my face in order to normalize them. Too bad. Luckily I attended a county school and did take Hunter ed, we even stood out past the football field and shot a variety of guns. Even took a 6 week taxidermy class in highschool. I graduated in 96. I dont think they still do it though.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I hear about a lot more of these than make the paper or INGO. Think of how many happen and are treated at home. This happens WAY more than we realize.

Rockhopper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Boonville
    It seems there is a large number of new firearm owners on here.(which is awesome by the way). In all the excitement of owning a new gun its imperative to remember basic safety. My good friend is in the emergency room this morning. He shot himself in the hand with a baby Browning 25. He is a 65 year old gun dealer who has been handling weapons his whole life. He was cleaning it and thought it was unloaded. Shattered bone in hand and almost severed a finger. Luckily he missed his wife. Remember saying sorry doesn't help if you kill someone. I personally know of a couple more accidents that happened lately, but this one goes to show how important the 4 rules of gun handling should be applied at all times.

It's nice to address this to the new owners, but I suspect that it's actually the OLD owners that are most prone to this. This is an issue of complacency, not inexperience.

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    True that older shooters may be more prone to become complacent, its just that I see new shooters over and over that have never known proper gun handling techniques. You cant forget something you never knew in the first place.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    From all I have read on here I thought .25 would not even break the skin...!
    I consider a round like the .25 to be more dangerous than some of the larger calibers. The larger calibers generally have an entrance and an exit wound. Something like a .25 and the .22 tend to bounce around inside of you causing a lot of damage.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Here is a neat quote from Mark Twain regarding the dangers of "unloaded guns"...

Don't meddle with old unloaded firearms. They are the most deadly and unerring things that have ever been created by man. You don't have to take any pains at all with them; you don't have to have a rest, you don't have to have any sights on the gun, you don't have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his mother every time at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old rusty muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it makes me shudder.
    - Advice to Youth speech, 4/15/1882 Mark Twain (Samuel Clemons)

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    Most striker fired pistols require the trigger pulled before disassembly. Notably, the most popular models, Glocks and M&P's, do. But that doesn't make you any more likely to break the four rules though. It does seem to increase the likelihood of a discharge in the long run.

My friend was handling an unloaded gun when people were around, and he put his hand over the end of the barrel as if it would eliminate the need for not pointing it at anyone. Not acceptable. I've witnessed a lot of such foolishness lately, and I can only see it ending badly.

A Negligent discharge is virtually guaranteed to happen in your lifetime. If you follow the four rules, that is all it will be, a discharge. But if you don't follow the rules, someone could be injured or killed. The four rules really boil down to ONE simple rule: Do not point a gun at anything you don't want to kill. The other three rules basically expand on that.

FTFY I wouldnt say gauranteed either, as long as four rules are followed. An example of a accidental discharge would be a design flaw/broken part that causes firearm to discharge. A recent documented case would be the Mossberg 500, if it has a older firing pin spring and say dropped on muzzle from 5ft or equivilant force, it can discharge.

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    This whole AD stuff could be dropped to dang near nothing if folks were more picky in their breeding.

AD's possibly linked to other AD's? ;)
    Hmm, this old man who is one of the kindest people I have ever met had a horrible accident. I thought a safety awareness reminder was in order. I didn't mean for his pedigree to be questioned. Real classy

Top Bottom