• sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Here is what the ATF website has to say about ammunition:

(A4) What kinds of ammunition are covered by the GCA? [Back]
    Ammunition includes cartridge cases, primers, bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm other than an antique firearm.
    Items NOT covered include blank ammunition, tear gas ammunition, pellets and nonmetallic shotgun hulls without primers.
    Generally, no records are required for ammunition transactions. However, information about the disposition of armor piercing ammunition is required to be entered into a record by importers, manufacturers, and collectors.
    A license is not required for dealers in ammunition only.

(H4) Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer? [Back]
    Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

(H5) Must a licensed manufacturer pay excise taxes? [Back]
    Yes. Licensed manufacturers incur excise tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition manufactured. See Item 17, “Federal Excise Tax” in the General Information section of this publication.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Funny that people on a gun forum are citing and quoting ATF rules when most of you want it abolished.

I posted that because I noticed some inaccuracies posted earlier in the thread so I thought posting some pertinent information would be helpful.

I don't really see anything funny about it, maybe ironic but not really as we are here to help each other not hurt one another.
    I would rather people be informed than just go by what "he said or she said".

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Not at all true

It's different because gun stores have distributors and us consumers do not; and the distributors have NO problem getting ammo from the manufacturers. If a retailer (gun store) can't get ammo from his distributor, he should change distributors.

I deal with five major distributors and all are on back order with most of their ammo. Not sure where you get your info but you are wrong. All popular cal like 45, 380, 9mm are out.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't think the sticker has anythign at all to do with ammo sales. The sticker is there because walmart undercuts all the smaller businesses. I am sure they are trying to track people who buy their items at Walmart and mark it up. As far as I am concerned Walmart is evil and we should not shop at Walmart. But, I have to admit if that is the only place I can get ammo I will buy it too. Need ammo to fight the greater evil.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Well, it is if it wasn't originally SOLD through a WalMart store.

Could be that some of the shortage is cases being "dropped" off the back of the truck.

I work at a wal mart distribution center and the only way it could be taken is at the store during unloading. Once the trucks are filled at the center, they are sealed with a plastic marker with a one off serial number and if it is broken before it gets to the store people get held accountable. And they know what is supposed to be in each truck when it leaves and if they are missing items at the store they hold an investigation supposedly. Probably still doesn't deter completely but helps i would think.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    More pointless BS from walmart that will jack up prices. I wonder how much the cost is to mark all those boxes?

postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Damn the Wal-Mart's for being sticker sneaky and damn the local competitors for buying up all the ammo from them and marking up higher profits! This world is cruel. ^_^

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I deal with five major distributors and all are on back order with most of their ammo. Not sure where you get your info but you are wrong. All popular cal like 45, 380, 9mm are out.

Michiana, I should have re-worded it. What I mean is that most of us are able to find it at gun stores; yes most stores are limiting, but the ammo is coming in. Some dealers are doing better than others getting it in.

What's interesting, as it relates to this thread, is that the buying power of Wal-Mart is certainly greater than the buying power of gun store distributors, yet they're the ones who tend to rarely have ammo; at least SOME locations...

I mean Gander seems to be doing well getting ammo in; even Dick's has gotten a lot better lately; but I know my local Wal-Mart rarely has anything on the shelves. And when they do; it's a box here and a box there.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I think we don't see the real situation

Michiana, I should have re-worded it. What I mean is that most of us are able to find it at gun stores; yes most stores are limiting, but the ammo is coming in. Some dealers are doing better than others getting it in.

What's interesting, as it relates to this thread, is that the buying power of Wal-Mart is certainly greater than the buying power of gun store distributors, yet they're the ones who tend to rarely have ammo; at least SOME locations...

I mean Gander seems to be doing well getting ammo in; even Dick's has gotten a lot better lately; but I know my local Wal-Mart rarely has anything on the shelves. And when they do; it's a box here and a box there.

Being a non stocking FFL I do not get the attention that stores get and I understand that. When I go on line with my dist. they show 90% of the listed ammo being out of stock. Maybe they have it in the back room for their perferred customers but that does not help me. I believe WalMart is still getting ammo in but it goes out as quick as they get it so unless you hit it right you find empty shelves.

I was at Gander last week and they had most of their shelves in the handgun ammo area empty. There always seems to be tons of shotgun shells at all the stores and .22 ammo seems to be available. People are just snapping everything up and until they feel they have enough we will have to put up with this shortages.

I see the same with AR-15 parts; three months ago if you had a lower for sale it sold right away for a preminum but now I have had some for over a week listed on Gunbroker and no bites. They are like money in the bank but I think the gold rush is over in that department. Lets hope the same happens to ammo. :twocents:

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I went to the Walmart in Mishawaka, IN last night around 8:30 to get supplies for making smores. decided to go to the ammo counter knowing there wouldn't be anything there and what do you know! Nailed 200 rounds of 9mm. WWB. $40. They were stocked full of .40 and had a good amount of .223 also. Midwest Guns in mishawaka is out of 9mm but it stocked full of .40 too.

Top Bottom