• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Went into my local Walmart today to purchase a box of 357MAGNUM and the gal working at the counter accidently bagged up 357 sig instead. I found this out about 2 minutes after she rang it up, while in the front of the store. I walked back to the sporting goods (5 minutes tops) later and informed her of HER mistake. With the manager standing right there she said NO REFUNDS on ammo?????:n00b: I could not believe it?? The manager then tells me its a Federal Law?? I just spoke with a gun dealer and they told me its NOT Federal Law but Walmart Policy. :xmad: So..I guess my next step is..Does anyone need a box of .357 SIG??? :D

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Went into my local Walmart today to purchase a box of 357MAGNUM and the gal working at the counter accidently bagged up 357 sig instead. I found this out about 2 minutes after she rang it up, while in the front of the store. I walked back to the sporting goods (5 minutes tops) later and informed her of HER mistake. With the manager standing right there she said NO REFUNDS on ammo?????:n00b: I could not believe it?? The manager then tells me its a Federal Law?? I just spoke with a gun dealer and they told me its NOT Federal Law but Walmart Policy. :xmad: So..I guess my next step is..Does anyone need a box of .357 SIG??? :D

That sounds like their mess up. I wouldn't have left the store without that being corrected. You should have talked to the manager directly and if he/she wouldn't resolve it I would have called corporate right there.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm not taking the side of Wal-Mart but I have purchased ammo there as well and in direct display is the "No Refunds" on ammo purchases. It sucks I'm sure. Also, I've noticed that some of the individuals in sporting goods aren't in tune with what they actually have. I'm very specific with my interactions with them in what I want to avoid any misinterpretations.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is not against Federal Law. :rolleyes:

Besides, you were asking for an exchange to correct their mistake, not a refund. Walmart doesn't hire people for their thinking abilities, though.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN

we run no returns on ammo, also. i feel your pain. but the guy is only doing what he is told. and odds are 100% he has never attempted to verify the law. doesn't really matter though. if he returns the ammo, even on their mistake, he will be terminated. he could, however, give you a box of the correct ammo at a reduced price. i wouldn't. but my customers bring up their own purchases, so the mistake would be the customer.

in the end, his hands are really tied.

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Oh..They had a sign that stated no refunds on ammo, but that is NOT my problem. They screwed it up..I told her what box, pointed at it and two other boxes I needed. She opened the case from the back took them out and rang them up. It was a honest mistake, as she was very chatty and was going on about good deals on ammo and shooting a racoon??? she just got the wrong box. The manager also told me that they fired the previous manager a few months back for returning ammo. So I am sure he was a bit tense about the situation. OH WELL..Lesson learned. I just can not believe that I had not left the store and they still could not return it. He (manager) went on the say, " if they found it seconds after it was in the system, they could still NOT return the ammo."

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    yeah. its not about the timeline, its about the item. some items, return years later. no problem! some items, you bought it, you own it. ammo is one.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

That is why I always walk WITH THEM to the ammo cabinet and point out EXACTLY what I want. Often they just have me reach in and pull out what I need. Never had a problem.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011

Options:

buy a gun that shoots .357 sig so you don't waste the cost of ammo

Sell it on the classifieds at your cost or slightly less

Keep it and count it as a learning experience

What ever you do ... quit yer damn belly aching

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    Your situation reminds me of an old Seinfeld episode:

"Sorry, it's store policy."
    "But you own the store!"
    "Even I am not above the policy."

It sucks that they wouldn't exchange it, but thanks for posting nonetheless. I'll be sure to double check my ammo boxes from here on out!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    That's why when I'm back at the little auxiliary counter by the ammo case, I go through every box before I allow him to start ringing it up.

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    Options:

buy a gun that shoots .357 sig so you don't waste the cost of ammo

Sell it on the classifieds at your cost or slightly less

Keep it and count it as a learning experience

What ever you do ... quit yer damn belly aching

This was just to help notify folks of Walmart Policy. Even though it was just as much my fault I dont agree with how they handle it.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh yea..thats a smart thing to do??? Buy a gun just to shoot $17 worth of ammo?? what a DUMB A$$

This was just to help notify folks of Walmart Policy. Even though it was just as much my fault I dont agree with how they handle it.
    I think he was trying to be helpful... who can't use a good excuse to buy another gun?? ;):):

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    I am careful there too. The prices are what keeps me coming back. I've seen some of the counter help at Walmart. I too am very specific and actually point to the exact box that I want.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Nope, no lock. But, there is a missing post. LOL.

Back on topic. It sucks, yes. It's their policy, yes. Fortunately it was just one box. Live and learn. Next time I know you will be watching closer. I do, and will be even more observant next time. Thanks for the post. Now others know as well.

Top Bottom