• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was at a Walmart sporting goods counter. The clerk was jawjacking with a friend, but did take time to actually ask if he could help me find anything. I asked (verbatim) "What ammo do you have in .45 ACP?"

He said (again, verbatim), "Just these two. One's 230 grain, the other one's Colt."

I'm trying to digest this, as I can see the two boxes he's pointing at. One is Federal 230 grain JHP .45 Auto, and the other is Winchester White Box .45 Colt.

He turns right back to his friend and asks him, "What's all this about 'home defense ammo', anyway? I figure if I shoot somebody in my house, that's home defense!"

His friend is also looking a bit squintwise by now, and when I said, "Those are two completely different calibers," he chimed in and tried to explain.

Mr. Helpful Clerk wasn't deterred, he kept right on about not needing any hollowpoints, if he shot somebody with a .45.....

It trailed off in the distance as I pushed my cart away, shaking my head.

So on Sunday, I found handgun ammo on the shelf at the other Walmart in town, for the first time in months, and got two of the Federal 230 JHP (20 rounds each) and one 100 round box of WWB FMJ. That met my 3 box limit. Total was $97.50.

Good lord, I should need a hand truck to carry out a hundred bucks' worth of pistol ammo, not one flimsy plastic bag....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually there is no .22's because Yosimite Sam and Marvin the Martian are planning an intergalactic war against the Arcadian battle fleet...

If they're using .22, that would explain this... They should be using 7.62x54R... ;)

wheres-the-kaboom-theres-supposed-to-be-an-earth-shattering-kaboom-marvin-the-martian-12-21-12.jpg

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I don't buy for a minute that the present 22lr situation is because of the gubmint buying it all up, but at least in the past 22lr was used as a sub round for training . Remember the old M-261 conversion ?

c0ae_1.JPG

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    You guys realize all the 'hearsay' info you read as gospel on the interweb is just stories relayed from Walmart gun counters around the country? :)

I feel priviliged that my thread spawned my first spoof thread. Think I'll go home and have a beer tonight in celebration.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I believe I remember my dad saying that when he was in the Airforce, some of his firearms training was done with .22 conversion kits. I'll have to ask him about that.

USPSA_10mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Plainfield IN
    So, this is why I can't train my 10 year old daughter on a nice light weight Walther P22 with a smoothed and lightened trigger... Great... Back to airsoft gas guns...

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    not even an iota of truth to it...why would you train with something so ballistically different? but they would never do that either way

Why did we train with something that had such different ballistics. Lets think about this, Marine. Doesn't matter if you are shooting a .22, .32 or a .62, you must still apply the four basic fundamentals of marksmanship. Steady hold, sight alignment, breathing and trigger squeeze. That is marksmanship training, friend. We didn't need to hit targets at 200 meters with the .22s. (We did, but we didn't need to)

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I'll bet YOUR Wal-Mart Gun Counter Guy didn't spend 4 years in Produce before he was promoted, like MY guy was. So there. :xmad:

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    I highly doubt they use them to teach people how to shoot and such, however i would believe that they use the .22 soap bullets for training. I know Fishers police uses the .22 soap to train (have a lot of good friends on the force). just a type of round that if you get hit it will hurt bad but wont do permanent damage, you know for like uhh hard core paintball ;)

Top Bottom