• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We use walnut to darken old camo. Works great to take out the white out and after a couple days in a five gallon bucket they no longer glow under black light.

Total, unapologetic derail: you have my interest. :)

Can you elaborate? I've never heard of this, but would probably try it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sure I can expand but it is as simple as it seems. Your older camo that has become lighter and faded from wearing sunlight washing and age. I often get some good camo used that is still warm just faded out and does not pass the black light test well. (I am cheap by nature)

Get those walnuts a five gallon bucket water. Drop those walnuts into the water let em set a day or so. The water will pick up the tanins drop in a pair old old camo jeans or a hoodie ect. Let set a day or so. Pull out hang on the clothes line or like I do just on a tree branch. If you have a black light test before and after. They will be much darker and still have the camo pattern. A plus is they have a built in scent cover of walnut shell. Last a while normally the season or better.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sure I can expand but it is as simple as it seems. Your older camo that has become lighter and faded from wearing sunlight washing and age. I often get some good camo used that is still warm just faded out and does not pass the black light test well. (I am cheap by nature)

Get those walnuts a five gallon bucket water. Drop those walnuts into the water let em set a day or so. The water will pick up the tanins drop in a pair old old camo jeans or a hoodie ect. Let set a day or so. Pull out hang on the clothes line or like I do just on a tree branch. If you have a black light test before and after. They will be much darker and still have the camo pattern. A plus is they have a built in scent cover of walnut shell. Last a while normally the season or better.

Absolutely true, each and every word.
    I've done this from time to time over 30 some odd years.
    Did it the first time because I couldn't find any camo coveralls locally.

I used very ripe, black, oily walnut hulls.
    Dropped them into a large stock pot and simmered in very little water until I had a natural walnut stain.
    I drizzled and smeared it onto a pair of Carrharts and I was off to the woods.

That home made camo job lasted several years before fading.
    Much like tie-dying, once the fabric is stained, rinse, then soak it in very cold salt water for a couple of hours.
    This will help set the stain.

Rinse, wash, and you're done.

Where did you think these wood stains came from?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    OK, catching up on the INGO so sorry for a late reply.
    I've found, when I have been working with oak in the shop, or oil-based stains, the best thing to remove the black (purple) stain on my hands from the tannins is SuperClean. It would probably be best to use it full strength on concrete. I use it 50% dilute for cleaning my hands. I am not guaranteeing it will work on your walnut stained concrete, but it won't do the damage that muriatic will.
    Purple gallon jug, can get it at wally world or auto parts store.

Top Bottom