• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim77759

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Hey I was curious if anyone has had any experience with the Walther 99 handgun ? Maybe in the market for one depending on the feed back I get. Thanks..

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Had one in .40, felt great in the hand, loved the trigger system, good reliability. Traded it as I could not get used to the ambi paddle style mag release as I am so ingrained with the conventional mag release. I was fumbling all over with it in drills and I could not have that in a real world usage. Other that that one issue I thought highly of it.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I love the Walther P99. It is very accurate and besides CZ it has the best ergos on the market. I really like how the P99 is a DA/SA striker fired gun with a decocker. Also, I like the mag release position. I does take some getting use to but really it is a non-issue. The one thing I have to say is get the actual German made Walther P99, not the Smith and Wesson copy SW99. S&W makes great guns but the SW99 is not one of them. My friend has a SW99 and he has had nonstop problems with it. My P99 on the other hand has been 100% from day one. :twocents:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Isn't the first time I have made this comment: IMO the Walther P99 is the finest striker fired handgun on the market. Accuracy is excellent for a service pistol. The trigger system takes some getting used to but once you do you are good to go. Ergonomics are good and being completely ambidextrose is nice. My only critisism is that the bore axis is a bit high and it makes the gun a bit "snappy", especially in .40S&W.

If I was only able to keep one of my handguns it would be my P99.

cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I agree, the most comfortable handgun I've ever shot. Probably one of the best SA triggers on any non-smithed non-1911 gun if you get an AS. The QA and DAO are not as good in the trigger department, but the ergos are still 100%. Bought mine used (no idea on the round count) and put several thousand through it with no problems whatsoever.

I have heard the 40s are "snappy" from lots of sources but I only own the 9 so I have no idea on that either. As my first gun, the paddle mag release wasn't a problem at all, I shoot IDPA with it and have no problem doing whatever mag retention reload or whatever that they ask from me quickly as anyone else at my level.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The 2nd link in Slapstick's post... jontheturboguy... He's an INGO member as well.

In the past, I've owned 2 P99 pistols. Both AS triggers, both 1st Generation. 1 in 9mm and 1 in .40S&W.

I think they have the BEST ergonomics of any pistol on the market today. The Steyr M-A1 pistols are a close second. Lots of things come in 3rd...

They're very very very well-made. Quite accurate. The AS trigger system is an engineering marvel. (I've never fired their other two trigger systems, so I can't comment)

As far as shooting: Eh. Ok, I suppose. The .40S&W is quite a snappy round to begin with. Put that round in a gun with a higher than average bore axis + low weight of pistol = snappy / torquey recoil.

9mm was lighter recoil, of course, but still snappy. Straight up, but not kicking to the side like .40. Personally, I had trouble with quick follow-up shots with the p99. Slow-fire, I could be darned accurate.

Having shot several other polymer firearms since I first bought my P99, there are, IMO, better options in terms of felt recoil / muzzle flip. (Glock & S&W M&P are the two that I can shoot better at speed than the P99)

-J-

Top Bottom