• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So I have decided since its 102 degrees outside, that I'd like to just relax and talk to you guys about guns :D.

I recently purchased a Walther G22. This particular firearm is an auto loading .22 long rifle. Prior to purchasing the G22, I read multiple reviews on other people's opinions. Many of the reviews said the gun is extremely time consuming to strip for cleaning purposes, and others said it is particularly picky on types of ammo. Regardless of these reviews, I decided to purshase the firearm. ( I actually bought it off another INGO user )

The G22 comes in an exceptionally nice and durable hard plasctic case. This beats the hell out of cardboard. Included was a cheap faux suppressor which, I'll admit, looks pretty cool on the gun, but does absolutely nothing. After gazing at my new rifle for a second, I went to pick it up. You all know how good it feels to open up a new gun box. The first thing I noticed was how nice the grip was. It almost felt custom made for my hand. I honestly didn't like how the forend felt in my left hand. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice forend with rubber grips on the sides for comfort. Luckily for me, this gun was loaded with picatinny rails. So, I bought a collapsible forend grip, which also made the handling of the weapon 10 times better. Another feature that I love is the extra magazine the slides in the stock of the gun. It's just a handy feature, and I wish there were 3 more. It comes with sling mounts and a sight that doubles as a handle. The sight is a bit stiff to pull up and down, so I put a bit of oil on it which helped.

I ended up buying a 2.5 x 32mm scope, due to the original sights not being THAT accurate past 25 yards. Also, I purchased a bi-pod prior to going to the range to zero in my scope. I was on a 50 yard lane, and hitting groups of 10 rounds at 1.5 to 2 inches apart. There I sat, with a big ol' grin on my face. This little rifle is ACCURATE, and has some power for a .22.

When it come to ammo, I have found that - Federal Spitfire, 31 grain hyper velocity- AND - CCI Stinger, 32 grain copper plated hollow points- are the best options for this rifle. I think the high velocity rounds have less failures to eject/feed, due to the round having more power to push the bolt back all the way each time you fire. A couple of the CCI Stingers jammed once the rifle was hot, so I just used the Spitfire rounds after that.

Last but not least.....disassembly. Reviews said disassembling the G22 was quite a task. Personally I think those people must be high school drop outs, or just mentally retarded. Some reviews said to lock the bolt back, and spray gun scrubber inside...then use compressed air to blow the gunk out. THIS WILL NOT SUFFICE. These were the same people complaining about ammo failures and misfires. WELL NO ****, your gun isn't going to work properly unless it's cleaned properly. I watched a youtube video that helps partially disassemble the G22, then for further disassembly I used this website as a guideline: Speed's Tips and Tricks for Cleaning a Walther G22

Overall this is an inexpensive, reliable, and just plain FUN rifle to shoot. If you're considering an auto loading .22lr...the Walther G22 has my vote.

WALTHERG22.jpg

gun.jpg

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do you know if all of the G22's come with the standard threaded barrel like the P22's?

I'd love to get one of these because I love the fact the they are ambidextrous like my Beretta CX4 storm...

Nice review...:+1:

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure they exist (not 100% sure)..the guy I bought my G22 from said that he had a few offers before me, but those people wanted the threaded barrel version. So, maybe.

I would **** and **** my pants at the same time to have a CX4..your'e a lucky man. Wanna let me shoot it?? :) you can shoot the G22...it probably wouldn't be as exciting for you, but I'd love it!!!:ar15:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I usually shoot at Fall Creek Valley, sometimes we can meet up there and I'll let you shoot the Storm no problem.

I'd love to try the G22. I just thought since it had a fake suppressor it may have threaded barrel.

Thanks for the info...

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Those little Walthers are really neat, but I have not seen even one in any of the gun stores around the Fort Wayne area, ever. I don't know what is up with that, but I am sure one can be ordered. What do they run anyways, around 350-400?

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I bought mine used for $270, it was a great deal. Yea, I think you can find them online for around 350-400. I also had never seen one at any gun shop. I thought they looked awesome, and really wanted to see one in person.

Shoots4Fun.....My fake suppressor attached with three little allen screws. It scratches the tip of the barrel a little, but I don't ever use that attachment. I'll have to look up Fall Creek Valley. I just ordered a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 SW....should be getting it Wednesday, and will NEED to shoot it ASAP!

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I'm pretty sure they exist (not 100% sure)..the guy I bought my G22 from said that he had a few offers before me, but those people wanted the threaded barrel version. So, maybe.

I would **** and **** my pants at the same time to have a CX4..your'e a lucky man. Wanna let me shoot it?? :) you can shoot the G22...it probably wouldn't be as exciting for you, but I'd love it!!!:ar15:

I have a CX4 as well, we can probably set up a time to meet at MCFG or popguns.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I had a walther G22. It was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. First, it is the most inaccurate rifle I have ever seen. The sights and scope rail are a part of the stock, not the barrel. The barrel and action sit in the stock. My rifle was like new and had no defects.

However, the rifle shot a 2" 25 yard group!!!

That is unacceptable for a .22 rifle imho. No matter what, the group size was horrible.

I also thought the rifle might make a good suppressor host.

However, the barrel is not threaded and the action is one of the loudest .22 actions you will find.

The concept for the rifle was neat. I like its design with magazines in the stock. The fit and feel were good too.

However, I think you can get as useless of a rifle with as neat of design and better accuracy from airsoft!

Please try one before buying. I know I regretted my decision to get one without trying it first. I ended up trading mine even for a P22 just to get rid of the thing. That is very unusual for me since most firearms I buy just sit in my safe permanently.

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had a walther G22. It was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. First, it is the most inaccurate rifle I have ever seen. The sights and scope rail are a part of the stock, not the barrel. The barrel and action sit in the stock. My rifle was like new and had no defects.

However, the rifle shot a 2" 25 yard group!!!

That is unacceptable for a .22 rifle imho. No matter what, the group size was horrible.

I also thought the rifle might make a good suppressor host.

However, the barrel is not threaded and the action is one of the loudest .22 actions you will find.

The concept for the rifle was neat. I like its design with magazines in the stock. The fit and feel were good too.

However, I think you can get as useless of a rifle with as neat of design and better accuracy from airsoft!

Please try one before buying. I know I regretted my decision to get one without trying it first. I ended up trading mine even for a P22 just to get rid of the thing. That is very unusual for me since most firearms I buy just sit in my safe permanently.

Turns out I already reviewed this rifle ^^^^. Mine is accurate, granted I have a scope, and agree that the regular sights on the gun are not the greatest. After I sighted in my scope, I was hitting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Perhaps since your guns just sit in a safe majority of the time..your aim may not be up to par. This gun is definitely not a piece of ****. I've put 600+ rounds through it, and have had maybe 5 FTE's...for an auto loading 22lr, 5 out of 600 aint too shabby. The rifle is very accurate..you just have to know how to shoot it :D

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Turns out I already reviewed this rifle ^^^^. Mine is accurate, granted I have a scope, and agree that the regular sights on the gun are not the greatest. After I sighted in my scope, I was hitting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Perhaps since your guns just sit in a safe majority of the time..your aim may not be up to par. This gun is definitely not a piece of ****. I've put 600+ rounds through it, and have had maybe 5 FTE's...for an auto loading 22lr, 5 out of 600 aint too shabby. The rifle is very accurate..you just have to know how to shoot it :D

LOL, just giving an opinion. I am willing to bet that your G22 will not shoot 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. 3 MOA isn't exactly a stellar group. Especially if those are your best groups. You refer to the rifle as "very accurate" in the same post in which you say it shoots 3 MOA at 50 yards. That being said, I don't even think a G22 will shoot a 3MOA group.

Come on down here to southern indiana and I will be happy to show you how a .22 rifle should shoot. Yes, I do keep my rifles forever, but I would not want anything that useless.

Last edited:

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I actually went shooting with some friends today, and saved my target. We were shooting at 50 yards, and by no means were we taking our time. We were blowing through ammo, so I'm 100% sure the groups could have been tighter....I just didn't really care!!!:ar15:

50 Yards...this target is a 50 FOOT pistol target each bullseye is approx. 7 inches in diameter
    groups.jpg

Not a single shot was out of the bullseye. This is why I say the G22 is accurate. It's not a sniper rifle,it's just a fun .22....I'm not trying to pick off ants at 300 yards buddy!

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    No thanks, I'm not gay.

I don't think anyone around here wants to know about your sexual proclivities.

The rifle is very accurate. :D

So, you could hit a squirrel part of the time at 50 yards but not always even if your aim is perfect because the rifle is incapable of doing its part. I would never describe that as a "very accurate" rifle.

A .22 rifle should be able to hit a squirrel at 50 yards every time if you do your part.

Those groups are 8 to 12 MOA groups. Ask anyone who owns a rifle. That is simply not acceptable for a rifle.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    NickJ, maybe we can get together and I could finally get my chance to shoot one of these. I have wanted to try one in person for some time and it might help to square away any smack talk.

And, as TBE knows, I really could care less if I get called gay or not. Especially if I get the chance to shoot a new rifle in trade!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    NickJ, maybe we can get together and I could finally get my chance to shoot one of these. I have wanted to try one in person for some time and it might help to square away any smack talk.

And, as TBE knows, I really could care less if I get called gay or not. Especially if I get the chance to shoot a new rifle in trade!

True, Tech is without ego but with massive rifle skills.

To be clear, I don't care who plays kissie face with who. I just really like this icon :draw:.

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sounds awesome. I'm always down for going shooting. I also just bought a Kelt-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 sw, so we will have that to shoot as well!!! Just gotta set up a time and place...

As far as everthing else in this thread, I'm just messin around. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I tend to be an instigator sometimes. Don't take me too seriously. (not that you probably were!):patriot:

Top Bottom