• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahburns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    West Lafayette
    I have had a Walther p22 for several years now. It has fired approximately 5000 rounds the vast majority being; Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack. The gun runs well with golden bullets and CCI. Unfortunately the firing pin cracked in half this past October. Walther is distributed in the US by Smith & Wesson. So I called S&W and they promptly sent me a prepaid shipping label. I slapped it on a box and fed-ex picked it up later that day. Very easy, no questions asked, and no charge. The gun was back at my door in 2 weeks. OUTSTANDING COSTUMER service from S&W!

The gun was back in working condition, for about 100 rounds, until it failed to cycle several times in a row. A few failures to fire or cycle is nothing strange for a .22lr so I wasn't too worried. Then I noticed a crack on the left side of the slide roughly inline with the chamber. I called S&W and once again experienced outstanding costumer service. However, they informed me that broken slides have been an ongoing problem with the P22. They also said that they will fix it (again and free of charge) even though WALTHER ONLY GIVES A ONE YEAR WARRANTY! They went on to explain that Walther is opening up a plant in the US and S&W will NO LONGER be selling or fixing any of their products after AUGUST 2013.

What I learned:
    If Walther had already fully set up shop in the US I would likely have a broken gun or had to pay for a new slide.

I'm lucky that S&W is such a reputable company that they are even willing to fix a product that they distribute with no questions asked. Even if that product only caries a one year warranty from the manufacturer.

Even though my slide did not explode, as some on other forums have reported, I'm glad I had shooting glasses on.

If you own a Walther P22 and shoot it often, the question is not if the slide will break but when!

In the future, your experiences with Walther may not be as easy and cost free as mine was with S&W.

In the future I will stick with my Colt Huntsman and Ruger MarkIII.

S&W also makes a newish 22lr pistol with a 12 round mag! BEWARE the slide is made out of the same or very similar and very thin metal. If it does break and my experiences with S&W hold true; then it should be fixed no questions asked.

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    I've read and heard several stories on this particular gun on both sides. Glad you had such good luck getting it fixed, I've been thinking of buying one of these for my boys to shoot. Still haven't made up my mind yet.

Ahburns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    West Lafayette
    Its a fun gun. Great for smaller people and beginners. But, based on my experiences the Rugers are much nicer, a little less expensive, and will last forever. The extra mags for the mark pistols are also readily available and are around $15 compared to Walther mags that are up to $35.

BRL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    are you discussing my walther? when do I get that back so I can trade it in on a single six?

shadowangel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Walther makes the new M&P 22. Haven't heard anything about the slides cracking on that one yet, though. I believe I read that the slides are made of a different type of metal.

Soupcan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Nice to know seeing as I just bought my wife a pink carbon Walther P22. I will be sure to keep an eye on it. Is there anything I can be looking for as a sign pending failure?

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    An alternative to the P22 is always the Ruger SR22P. Great gun, with essentially the same design. The main difference is that the Ruger doesn't have the safety on the slide, but on the frame, and also that the Ruger doesn't come with a threaded barrel.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have seen a couple P22's crack slides, but then I've seen a rather new Sig Mosquito do it too. All were fixed for free.

One P22 (with no slide cracking) had over 10K shots through it (in a year), didn't break anything, but was rather sloppy. Smith took it in and gave the guy a new one.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Walther makes the new M&P 22. Haven't heard anything about the slides cracking on that one yet, though. I believe I read that the slides are made of a different type of metal.

I've heard of dozens of cracked frames on P22's, and for the likes of me cannot understand why Walther hasn't changed their design! So anyways, I went with the M&P22, and hope its slide is more durable. The M&P slide is clearly an alloy though, since it is much lighter than m M&P9.

I'd still buy a P22 over a Sig Mosquito, just because of how finicky I hear they are with ammo.

smknabel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Vincennes
    I have had a P22 for a few years now, and put a few thousand rounds through it with few (for a .22 LR) malfunctions / misfeeds, and they usually happen when it's FILTHY…after 500 or so rounds and no cleaning.

I love my little P22, and would cry if it broke. :(

I might just have to go get another and a suppressor for the new one…just to cheer me up :)

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I've read and heard several stories on this particular gun on both sides. Glad you had such good luck getting it fixed, I've been thinking of buying one of these for my boys to shoot. Still haven't made up my mind yet.

All things that are man made will eventually fail. I've had one for 3 years, still going strong, a buddy of mine has had one for longer with no issues.

Im under no illusion that it will last forever, but i certainly wouldnt call it. P.o.s.

Top Bottom