• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I know there are many reviews about the Walther P22, but I am getting really turned off to many of them, so I thought
    that I would go here for advice.
    While I would really rather have a Ruger SR22, SR22's are as rare as honest politicians where I live, Ohio. A store near me has a Walther P22
    on sale for $319.
    If anyone has purchased a P22 in the last year or so, I would like to know how you like it. Is it reliable and what ammo does it digest best?
    Thanks

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    I had a P22 for a couple years- it was the older model, not the Q model now available. I got it primarily for the comfort. It just fit my hand perfectly. It was picky on ammo for 500 rds or so. I tried all of the different cheap .22 rounds and it liked Thunderbolts the best (despite what most think about thunderbolts...) They were as reliable as MiniMags in my gun. I found that after 500 or maybe 800 rds, it was all broken in and would eat anything just fine. Its easy to disassemble and clean, and not a bad gun at all. The problems of my version- mainly weak metal for the slide- were fixed in the Q model. I sold the gun because it wasn't enough for protection/defense (I got a 9mm) and I would like a target grade pistol.

A good friend has the SR22- and it is a dead ringer for comparing comfort, and while that gun has some problems (or so the internet says), its the better gun. However, $319 is a great price for a P22.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I have two of them over several years now...the ergonomics are just fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Yes, you do have to clean them. Preferably, every 100 rounds or so, as you break them in. I shoot only mini-mags, but after 800 rounds or so... I think they will digest anything. I'm so impressed... I also stepped up to the 9mm version. I like it also!

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I've had one for years. I got it as a yard gun, that I could shoot the hell out of. I've never had a issue with the gun that wasn't ammo related (verified by shooting the ammo though other guns with same issues). I've shoot 1000-1500 rounds though it and haven't ever cleaned it. It gets used and abused, buts keeps on going. My only real complaint with the gun is it's small size, I wish it was the same size as the 9mm. The fit isn't the best either and it's showing finish wear around the edges, no big deal to me though. Over all I really like the pistol and would buy it again.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Thank you all for your replies. Since Rugers can't be had around here, I think I will go with the Walther.
    I will assume, with the way things are, there are no "old" models of P22's still being sold.
    Thanks again.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    No problems with my P22 so far. I got a Sig Mosquito in a trade and hated the damn thing. Traded it for a P22 at a gunshow and havent looked back. It has a threaded barrel that I got the adapter for so I could mount my Guardian 22 supressor and it shoots great. Feeds and functions fine on everything from Remington subsonics to Stingers. Granted, I would like a Ruger MIII as a supressor host someday, for now the P22 is damn near perfect for my plinking.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    There is a chance you could find a NOS P22 out there, but they are easily distinguishable- mainly in the grip:

Old:

walther_p22_left_1200px.jpg

New:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Another gun you might consider is the Bersa 22, good looking and reliable with most ammo. Mine even likes Rem Thunderbolts and Win Wildcats. No zamak, slide is steel and frame aluminum alloy. Mega easy takedown, sells new with one mag in the $250-75 range .

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    New Old Stock=NOS :)

I have a Walther P22 but had the Ruger SR22 been available then I would have bought it instead. Why? I like Rugers. My Walther is now some 20+ years old, bought new, since moving to IN is now in process of of receiving a suppressor since it came with a threaded barrel. I bought what was back then called the Deluxe Package. I came with three barrels, a weighted/ported compensator and some other stuff so you could take it apart and switch configurations easily plus two magazine and cost me a whopping $450 at the time. I also had a Ruger Mk I & II, the Mk II had a bull barrel. Bother Rugers were a joy to shoot and a horror for a guy who later developed neuropathy to disassemble and reassemble so I sold them eventually. The SC22 still wasn't available so I spent that money on some other firearm is my guess, my memory isn't what it was either.

What does this all mean? The Walther is probably the easier pistol to find accessories for and it is easily the most suppressed .22 pistol from the stats I have found around. The Ruger is new and I haven't had a chance to fire one but I can put my hands on them around me easily. So I have held them, fussed with them and done all the testing you can do at the LGS when deciding whether or not to get one. I still want one but I won't be selling my Walther. That's my point. They are both good choices IMO. I will bet you will save a bunch of money with the Ruger though.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Thanks Cool Breeze, now that is something even I can understand.
    Thanks to all.
    Yea, I like the Bersa to Kalboy. I have a 380.

Top Bottom