• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Any thoughts or input on this for a CCW? I looked at the P99 last week down at Kygunco and was actually impressed with it. It looks and feels great. One of the guys there was showing it to me and showing me all the great features it offers. I know some will gripe about the mag release. But I really didn't see that as a problem. Looking at the specs, it looks to be about the same size as my XDs while weighing in 1.5 ounces less. But I realize there is much more to a good gun than just specs.

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I can't give you much firsthand experience with the P99C, but I know it comes in two flavors... the AS (anti-stress), which I would prefer, or the QA (quick action). I have held the 99 in-hand before, and I *really* liked it, I thought the trigger was really nice as well.

The biggest complaint I see about Walthers are the factory sights, but they are SUPER easy to swap out for something more to your liking. Personally, I really dig the paddle-style magazine release, and got a PPQ M1 on purpose because I like it better than the push-button release on the M2.

IMHO, I think a P99C would be a great option to consider if you're thinking about a smaller CC weapon. The XDs is a single-stack, so perhaps not a fair comparison there... if you're thinking about an XD Mod2, for example, or a Glock G26, I think the P99C more than holds its own as a solid choice to consider.

Edit: I may be mistaken... I think the P99C only comes in AS, not QA... I think you need to get a full-sized P99 for the QA option, which I wouldn't chose over the AS anyway.

Last edited:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    +1 for P99cAS. Research the AS trigger system on the waltherforums. You'll be impressed. The reset is less than 1/8" and very crisp. The AS gives you a 'decocker' style DA first shot then SA-second shot or decock to go back into AS mode.

For CC, it fit the bill very well if you like double stacks. I'm a DA/SA/Decocker guy so the P99cAS was a very good fit. You can find them on sale sometimes for around $450 or less. I like the paddle mag release but maybe I'm old fashioned.

For mags, the P99c will take the Mecgar +2s for the PPQ-M1. Walther makes a ring that allows the full size mags to mate up nicely with the P99c.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I'm a big Springfield fan. And I honestly never really gave any serious thought about a Walther other than admire the grip comfort. But after talking to the rep at Kygunco, I have to confess that I was quite impressed with the P99. Later, I looked at the P99C AS specs online. It is slightly longer than my XDs 3.3 9mm, about the same height and actually 1.5 ounces lighter. I haven't found anything on width. But at face value, it is quite comparable while offering the benefit of a double stack capacity. I do have a couple XDm Compacts too that I love and carry.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I'm a big Springfield fan. And I honestly never really gave any serious thought about a Walther other than admire the grip comfort. But after talking to the rep at Kygunco, I have to confess that I was quite impressed with the P99. Later, I looked at the P99C AS specs online. It is slightly longer than my XDs 3.3 9mm, about the same height and actually 1.5 ounces lighter. I haven't found anything on width. But at face value, it is quite comparable while offering the benefit of a double stack capacity. I do have a couple XDm Compacts too that I love and carry.

Jugger, take a look here for a comparison... Handgun Database - Compare Handguns

The P99 is really a unknown gem. Once you understand the AS trigger and try one you see. For $450ish, you can't go wrong.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Where would I look to pick one up for that $450'ush pricing? Most the shops I have looked at online that do carry the Walthers primarily carry the PPS, PPQ and CCP.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Where would I look to pick one up for that $450'ush pricing? Most the shops I have looked at online that do carry the Walthers primarily carry the PPS, PPQ and CCP.

'Most' shops don't carry P99's. I found my P99c on Kygunco when they had an on-line sale. I would start by looking at waltherforums.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Agreed, it's a bit rare to come across a NIB P99 in just about any flavor, probably because the PPQ moves more quickly for a bit more $$. Most of my online haunts haven't shown a P99 in the $450 range for awhile, i.e., Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, Bud's, Grab-a-Gun, etc. I think everyone is in the $525-ish range that I've seen lately.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I thought it was odd but Point Blank Cermel had a P99AS new in the case last time I was in there.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Agreed, it's a bit rare to come across a NIB P99 in just about any flavor, probably because the PPQ moves more quickly for a bit more $$. Most of my online haunts haven't shown a P99 in the $450 range for awhile, i.e., Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, Bud's, Grab-a-Gun, etc. I think everyone is in the $525-ish range that I've seen lately.

I agree. Patience is what pays off to find a P99c at $450. Actually kygunco had them at $435 NIB. It was a short sale then they went up to normal pricing. Recently, there have been a batch of full size from Sportsmans Supply penny auction on GB that have been selling for $425+/- up. There was a LNIB P99c in the INGO classifieds last summer for $450 if I remember correctly. It went fast and I missed out.

Set up an email alert on slickguns.com with your price target and when someone enters your sku you'll be notified.

Last edited:

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I checked my 2 favorite online retailers, Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore and Kentucky Gun Company. Sportsman's only carries the P99 AS in .40 cal. I scratched .40 off my list a few years back when I ditched my Glock 22 Gen 3. Kygunco carries the P99 AS Compact for $530. I guess I could check the LGS's around Indy to see if anyone carries them and what they fetch for them if they do. Memorial Day and Independence Day aren't too far off. I'm sure some good sales will come with them.

That rep at Kygunco really impressed me with this one. For a carry gun, I love the size and double strike capability. And then he went and showed me how you can action the slide maybe half an inch to "stage" the trigger. Now that is slick! I'm not too concerned about the factory sights. I swap them out anyway on all of my carry guns for TFO sights. TruGlo makes the TFX Pro series for the Walthers.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield

Shop in Sheridan has a used full size (mine), and shop,in Carmel has a new full size and a compact for rent.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I checked my 2 favorite online retailers, Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore and Kentucky Gun Company. Sportsman's only carries the P99 AS in .40 cal. I scratched .40 off my list a few years back when I ditched my Glock 22 Gen 3. Kygunco carries the P99 AS Compact for $530. I guess I could check the LGS's around Indy to see if anyone carries them and what they fetch for them if they do. Memorial Day and Independence Day aren't too far off. I'm sure some good sales will come with them.

That rep at Kygunco really impressed me with this one. For a carry gun, I love the size and double strike capability. And then he went and showed me how you can action the slide maybe half an inch to "stage" the trigger. Now that is slick! I'm not too concerned about the factory sights. I swap them out anyway on all of my carry guns for TFO sights. TruGlo makes the TFX Pro series for the Walthers.

Haven't tried TruGlo but I read they are GtG. I'm using Trijicons but they are a little 'edgy' and not so conducive to cc. Here are the full size P99's on GB- p99 For Sale ? Buy p99 Online at GunBroker.com from SportsmansSupply. As far as 'staging', what you are doing is pre-loading the striker similar to the Glock (I think, I'm not a Glock guy).

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I will definitely be checking to see if I can rent one at Point Blank. Everything about the gun seems like a winner. But I would love to shoot one before I start looking to buy one if I can.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Haven't tried TruGlo but I read they are GtG. I'm using Trijicons but they are a little 'edgy' and not so conducive to cc.

There are some decent sight options out there, and from what I saw, anything that works on the P99 also works on the PPQ, and vice-versa. I decided on a Dawson Precision FO front sight for my PPQ, and left the adjustable factory rear stock in place. This combination didn't change my POA/POI at all, and my old eyes love the red FO front. Comes with a green insert too that I might switch to at some point. And it was an affordable option over the stock sights for now until I can decide on the right night sights. The XS Big Dot is a decent night sight option, though I would probably go with the smaller front night sight (you have two size choices), as the larger front dot is a bit of a trade-off with accuracy.

Juggernaut - if you get a chance to shoot a P99C, report back please!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In the past, I owned two different P99 pistols. 1 in 9mm, the other in .40. Both 1st Gen, and both before there were AS and QA triggers - they were all "AS" triggers, so it wasn't designated.

Anyhow - As you know - top notch ergonomics in the hand. Fantastic trigger system. Dead nuts accurate. My guns didn't like non-brass ammo much.

Niggles: high slide profile meant they were flippy upon recoil. The .40 was exceptionally so. And that was with a full length grip. However - I owned those way before I had any kind of formal training and had worked on really honing my grip and stance. My control of those firearms today may be different than they were 10 years ago. However - the fact remains - they have a tall slide profile that puts all reciprocating mass way above your wrist. You can only choke-up so high on the back of the gun.

And with the compact grip, there's less of the grip to be held steady with your pinky finger (which, as we all know, is the key to a good strong grip). That fact coupled with a tall slide profile leads me to believe (and I'm willing to be wrong here, because the P99 is a really cool gun) that shooting the P99c fast and accurately will be more difficult than with other similar-sized platforms - namely the G19 and the M&P9c (with pinky extension mags).

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    TF, my hands aren't small by any means. So that would definitely be a concern for me with the Compact variant. But I did see where they offer Grip Extensions for the Compact magazines. I have the same problem with grip on my XDs and XDm Compacts. I just offset by adding Pearce Grip Extensions. And that seems to work real well for me on them. I prefer the Compacts for a carry gun because it is easier to conceal. But I totally agree with what you have said. That is why I want to see and shoot one first, if possible. The one I saw at Kygunco was the full size and it was sweet in every way I could tell short of firing it. And firing it is the key measure.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I'm down south of Indy a little ways. But I'm all over Central Indiana with my job, though mainly in the metro area. Unfortunately I am on call this weekend. I'm hoping to swing by a few shops soon to see if anyone has one of them P99C AS guns in stock so I can look at it. And I'm definitely going to check to see if any of the ranges have one for rent to try out. I'm looking up phone numbers now to call.

Top Bottom