• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    I have another thread on here where I have been looking at the G26 or G27. My first carry pistol was a Walther P99c AS, so I'm looking to find someone who has owned, carried, or fired either side by side. I LOVED my P99, it was fast, easy to conceal, packed a punch, and there is no term to describe its accuracy. The sights were a definitive white dot 3 configuration, and even with my large hands it fit well. The slide would occasionally bite my thumb as I hit the slide release, but that was only during faster drills.

I fired at least a thousand rounds through that beauty before it fell victim to my divorce, and I nearly cried when we parted ways. It was certainly too heavy for ankle carry on a guy of my thinner build, but I carried IWB up front for about three years with no issues.

Like I said, accuracy was unparalleled. I would head out to the range on the base, and with wally world ball ammo, consistently hit pop up targets out in the 150 range. That little baby had some kick, but a .40 round is no punk.

Hopefully, I can find someone else on here who had the same love for this pistol and has fired one.:ar15:

Thanks in advance guys.

graham88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    Southern IN
    I have a 9mm Walther P99 AS, I love the feel and fit, and it is soooo made to shoot
    with solid accuracy!!!

If I was left with just one gun … That would be it! I never have had a failure... EVER!!

I have shot G19 & 17 did not like the feel of the weapon, Point ability to me seamed off, not second nature.

My son wanted a G26 to go with his Beretta 92FS.
    At the 1500 we picked one up for him... he likes it… so that’s all that matters.
    I have shot it several times …. It does nothing for me.
    My son does like the Glock, but says the Beretta is a better built and more accurate gun.

And IMHO the only comparison between the Glock and Walther is they both shoot bullets….

They work and I am not saying they don’t…. I just don’t think they do anything any another $500.00 gun can't do.

And they are not for me…..
    standard.jpg

Last edited:

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    would love to own one.....but never shot one.

How do you like your Walther? Sights? Size vs size of you hands? I would put my life behind a Walther any day from the few that I've had to chance to fire. I noticed that yours is the .40, how's the recoil and accuracy?

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    My son wanted a G26 to go with his Beretta 92FS.
    At the 1500 we picked one up for him... he likes it… so that’s all that matters.
    I have shot it several times …. It does nothing for me.
    My son does like the Glock, but says the Beretta is a better built and more accurate gun.

I sort of new to the arena, what does "at the 1500" mean?

Thanks

Super38

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I can't give you exactly what you're asking... But I can INFER based on a few experiences:

In the past, I've owned both a .40 and 9mm full sized P99, both with the AS trigger.

Muzzle flip with both of them was quite noticeable, with the .40 being more "torquey", that is wanting to twist, than the 9mm. 9mm was more along the lines of being straight up.

My experience with Glock is limited to a G19, G17 (suppressed only), and either a G22 with a .357 conversion or it was a G31.

In each and every one of these applications, muzzle flip and felt recoil was less than that of the P99.

I can do controlled pairs all day long with a G19, but would struggle mightily to achieve that with even the 9mm P99.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and PRESUME, based on my experiences with very similar firearms, that felt recoil and muzzle rise will be less out of the sub-compact Glock platform than in a Walther compact platform.

-J-

graham88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    Southern IN
    I reread my post above…. I came off sounding like a Glock hater.

That is not true… I bought my son a Glock, He likes it…I have shot it... and several other models. As well as many other guns.

I just think for all the hype about them, when I pick one up I should have a sense of wow and of its greatness, and it just doesn’t happen for me…

It shouldn’t be too hard to tell what weapon does give me that rush… :laugh:

I guess I just don’t want to **** in anyone’s pond and Glock is a great gun… just not for me.

G

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    So, I made my purchase today. I went in, grabbed em, racked the slide, dropped the mags, dry fired...I went with the G23C. It was love at first sight. I think it knew I had the perfect box of TAP ammo to feed it. It looked up at me, and gave me that little whimper, "Take me home..." I couldn't tell him no.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The g 27 is a great carry gun. reliable, accurate, simple to operate with either hand and best of all already an ugly gun so you dont have to worry about the how it looks after you carry it around for a while. I dont know of anyone who has worn one out either. That being said Walther has a history of making some fine guns over the years as well. I have not shot or owned a p99... yet.

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    So, I made my purchase today. I went in, grabbed em, racked the slide, dropped the mags, dry fired...I went with the G23C. It was love at first sight. I think it knew I had the perfect box of TAP ammo to feed it. It looked up at me, and gave me that little whimper, "Take me home..." I couldn't tell him no.

Chowder.....When are you bringing them out???? I'd like to see them! You know the range is waiting.

Oh yeah, thanks for the call when you were heading to the shop.....I wanted to ride out there.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    Sorry man, we were in such a hurry to get out there. You shoulda seen the kid that did all my papers...I'm walking around knowing what I want and he's dumbfounded. It was good.

All in all, I dropped a little over 1,600 on the two, the ammo, and a few holsters. Its like being a kid in a candy store. I told him not to tell me the total, and just have me sign.

Anyhow, we've got a bunch of ammo, and we need a bunch more 9mm. I've got 500 for the .40, but almost everything we have for Brian's 26 is jhp.

I've gotta work on the car early in the AM, but I'd like to shoot tomorrow and Sunday as well.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    Come on out....We're always here! Bring me some .38 spl, too, if you have any.

I think I have 4 or 5 good Hornady home defense rounds in .38 spl...I'll look, but you can have em. Check out my album in my profile, you'll get all warm and fuzzy...<~~G rated

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can't give you exactly what you're asking... But I can INFER based on a few experiences:

In the past, I've owned both a .40 and 9mm full sized P99, both with the AS trigger.

Muzzle flip with both of them was quite noticeable, with the .40 being more "torquey", that is wanting to twist, than the 9mm. 9mm was more along the lines of being straight up.

My experience with Glock is limited to a G19, G17 (suppressed only), and either a G22 with a .357 conversion or it was a G31.

In each and every one of these applications, muzzle flip and felt recoil was less than that of the P99.

I can do controlled pairs all day long with a G19, but would struggle mightily to achieve that with even the 9mm P99.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and PRESUME, based on my experiences with very similar firearms, that felt recoil and muzzle rise will be less out of the sub-compact Glock platform than in a Walther compact platform.

-J-

I would agree with this prediction. I own a .40 P99 and have owned a glock 23. Also, more then a few rounds through a glock 22 & 27. IMO, the P99 has better sights, ergonomics and safety features. Accuracy from this gun is outstanding. But glocks seem to get back on target a little faster because of less muzzle rise. I think that this is because you have to push forward with the wrist just a bit with a glock. Try this...grab a P99 and a glock, close your eyes and pick a spot on the wall, bring the gun up, open your eyes. Often times the glock sights over the imagined target. Some revolvers can be like this as well. Now this doesn't mean one gun is better then another, what it illustrates is the need to practice with your carry gun.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    both are great guns. My brother owns a p99 and I have a glock 26. Both shoot very well but for ergonomics and easy of carry I have to give the edge to walther.

Top Bottom