• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Any opinions??? I'm trying to decide on a (future) concealed-carry and am torn between a .38 snubby revolver and a small automatic.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I personally don't have experience with the PPK--when I was looking for a .380 I chose the Bersa Thunder .380 concealed carry model, as I had read better things about the reliability of the Bersa compared to the Walther, and it's a LOT cheaper to boot. I never had a single malfunction with my Bersa. I've heard a lot of good things about the Sig P232 in terms of reliability, although it seems to be the most expensive of the bunch.

Gunblast has a nice review of the Bersa CC model at Bersa’s New Thunder 380 Concealed Carry .380 ACP Auto Pistol.

Ultimately, even though I never had a problem with my Bersa, I decided to go with a S&W snubnose instead. I am somewhat paranoid about reliability, and it seems there's not a lot that can go wrong with a good revolver unless one abuses it. Plus, holsters and other accessories (like a Crimson Trace grip) are pretty easy to find for a J-frame Smith.

It may also be worth thinking about a small 9mm like the Kahr PM9. I love mine and it seems about the same size but in a somewhat more potent caliber.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I had a Interarms Walther PPK/S that was incredibly accurate (I'm talking laser accurate) but wouldn't feed the first JHP. That didn't really bother me, cause I actually prefer FMJ out of small barreled pistols. It is a very easy to conceal gun also. Virtually disappears, but is pretty heavy. The recoil on it is pretty stout for a little pistol, do to the design. You also need to watch out for the "Walther bite" that occurs from gripping it to high.

Might think I'm not recommending it for a conceal carry gun, but I actually really regret selling mine and would buy another in a heart beat.

Plus you got the whole 007 thing going, and the chicks dig it. :)

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Add me to the list of VERY satisfied Bersa owners. I've had mine for about 12 -13 years....one misfeed with a truncated nosed FMJ. Funny thing is, it eats hollowpoints of any type.:dunno:
    Save yourself a few hundred bucks & look at the Bersa.

Your other choice isn't bad either. It's been my daily carry for the past three years... a S&W 642 snubby in .38+P. Load it up with Gold Dot ammo and you have a potent pocket revolver.

One big thing going for the snub nose.... you can actually buy ammo for it. I can't find any for my Bersa.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I second the Bersa 380. Reliability and accuracy in my own experience is superior in the Bersa. The only thing I have ever had a problem with in a Bersa 380 is the last round tending to FTF when using a 9 round extended magazine. All the 7 round mags I have used have been flawless. I have had 3 different Bersas in 4 years and have put a few thousand rounds through them. Send a target out about 45 feet and shoot it, you will be amazed at the accuracy.

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have carried both, and would carry either. I usually carry a Smith 642 with +P ammo. The Bersa is really a nice little .380 though, and really reliable.
    I just like the revolver. You can shoot it from a lot of places that you can't a small auto. You don't have to worry about the slide cycling to pick up the next round.
    Just shoot both, and see which one YOU like better.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The PPK/S is a great pistol, lays flat in your back pocket or works well in an ankle holster. Accurate with good fixed sights for a small gun. The old Beretta 84 and the PPK/S are my favorite 380s.:)

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I had a PPK/S. Decent accuracy, reliable, but heavy for it's size. Terrible hammer bite. My hand would be bleeding after a couple of mags. Not a range gun, at least for me.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    It is a bit on the heavy side for an almost "pocket-sized" gun...but I carried one for over ten years in a vest for on duty back up...never had problem one and it was very accurate. I have noticed, especially in current years that production can vary a little bit from gun to gun in terms of quality...but overall...a very fine .380...with no real downside...other than the aforementioned weight. (But then again...that makes these a piece of cake to shoot, too!)

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have both the Walther PPKs and the Bersa. I really like both and have had no trouble with either one. If I could keep only one it would be the Bersa.
    With that said I usually carry a 38.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've owned both a Bersa Thunder .380 and a Walther PPK/S .380. Both of them are very accurate, fun to shoot, and will digest anything you want to put through them. I never had a hiccup with either of them. That's the 'good' news.

The 'bad' news: the Walther is a heavy chunk of steel to tote around...if in a good hip holster, you'll be fine, but in a pocket, watch out as it will flop and bang around on you . Both guns will 'bite' you in the web if you are holding it too high when shooting...you'll need to wear shooter's gloves if you are putting more than a mag or two downrange.

I had a Titanium Taurus 850 in .38+P, that jammed on me (the trigger and cylinder 'locked up') a few times. After having it repaired a couple of times, I finally traded it. I was looking at the S&W 642's when Ruger announced their LCR. I waited until they came out...and purchased one of those last year. The LCR is very light (13.5 oz.), is very accurate (5" groups at around 25'), and the Hogue Tamer 2-finger grip is easy to adjust to. I'm just waiting for someone to make a good NS for it and it'll be my 'everyday' gun.

Overall, I would recommend getting a .38 over the .380, but again, it's personal choice, comfort, and need that dictates what you should buy.

BTW...I can find tons of .38 & .38+P ammo, which is easily reloadable...but there's not much .380 ammo out there right now.

Last edited:

j-d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    clown town
    anyone out there that could help me with a conceal carry question.
    can i carry on public transportation (buses in indy, or say trains up around gary?)

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I carried a stainless PPKS for years as my backup while on the department. Easily one of the best pocket guns around. Accurate as you are. Never jammed. fits in a pocket easily or inside the belt holster comfortably...

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    My dad carries a .38 revolver and prefers that because it does not have a safty so you do not have to think when you take it out, you can just shoot. for the same reason, I prefer having the safty so i know that it will not go off on a snag or something like that, so i carry .380 bersa thunder

glockman49

1911 NUT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Floyd County Indiana
    Walther

The Walther 380 is a great gun but given the weight issues and the bite factor, I carry a J frame 38 Smith & Wesson in a scandium frame for my backup. It is very light and you don't even feel it but it is not comfortable to shoot at all. My school of thought is these guns almost never get shot other than yearly qualifications so the pain factor is only felt a couple times a year.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I have an HK 380 and have a couple of buddies who have PPK/S 380's. I would recommend the 38 snubby just because of how hard it is to find 380 ammo.

its not that hard really to find, I have fed my century old colt on average 100rds a month for the last year and a half, and occasionally carry it with gold dots....:rockwoot:

the ppk style isn't that bad at all really, nor is the .380 round, bite shouldn't be possible, unless the hand is too big for the gun, and recoil isn't that horrible. Just make sure the feed ramp is smooth:yesway:

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I wouldn't fret the weight issue. Although the PPK is heavier than some others, it is no moreso than say a Glock with a full mag of .40 or .45. The amazing thing about the PPK and like sized weapons is how easy they are to conceal.

I have a PPK and so does my wife. Mine is the interarms, hers S&W. They do need some rounds through them to break them in, and I keep them lubed with a light grease, as opposed to oil, as it seems to stick on the slides better.

I find it great for Summer carry, when the XD is just too big to easily conceal.

Top Bottom