• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    I'm chomping at the bit to get my taxes done and get my refund to buy myself a new present. I've been debating the PPQ M2 and the HK VP. I'm not sure yet if I want to get another 9mm for the ease of staying with the same ammo I use now or bump up to a 40. I'm kind of leaning towards the PPQ, but want to hear what everyone's opinions are that own or have fired them. If you do have the PPQ, do you have the 4 or 5in barrel and what are you thoughts on that? I've yet to fire either, but will in the near future before making the decision.

tikkanen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2015
    Indianapolis
    agree with bjenkins, except I would have said BMW and Mercedes ;). They are remarkably similar and fantastic guns. I think the PPQ predates the VP9 by a few years. I looked at both and ended up buying the Walther PPQ M2 because I didn't like the German paddle release for the magazine that the H&K VP9 (and PPQ M1) have.

I went with the 4" barrel as a compromise between heft and accuracy. Not had any accuracy problems with the 4".

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    agree with bjenkins, except I would have said BMW and Mercedes ;). They are remarkably similar and fantastic guns. I think the PPQ predates the VP9 by a few years. I looked at both and ended up buying the Walther PPQ M2 because I didn't like the German paddle release for the magazine that the H&K VP9 (and PPQ M1) have.

I went with the 4" barrel as a compromise between heft and accuracy. Not had any accuracy problems with the 4".
    Agree totally should have said the BMW and Mercedes because they are both awesome options! Lolpsyko

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I've owned both, and still have the VP9. The PPQ is a remarkable pistol, though the trigger lends it's self more to target shooting than self defense. I have experience with two examples that, after the trigger breaks in from heavy use, become so touchy accidental/negligent triple and quadruple taps can and will occur when the operator really tries to run the reset during shooting sports like IDPA/USPSA. It's part of the reason I left the PPQ. People didn't believe me about it till another competitor caught his doing it on film. The recording is on YouTube. That being said, I've often thought of picking another up. I EDC the VP9 and compete with it. I find it shoots smoother than the PPQ, with less felt recoil, and it's grip panels make it very easy to customize it's ergos for the individual shooter. I also love the stock LE variant night sights that came on my model. After market parts are also more prolific for HK firearms. To top it off, I also like the trigger better. Just a hair more resistance but clean and easy to run. Having carried both IWB, I will saw the HK carries better for me @ 6'1 190lbs. However, I will say that it could have been the fault of the holster I was using. It was a Theis horsehide IWB, after I use a few I found they did not fit my body well and moved on. It's no fault of the mfg., Tommy is a nice guy from what I can tell from our dealings. I currently use a Clinger Wonder holster and find it works as advertised. It doesn't "disappear", per say, but it does aid in concealment even in sheer and tight fitting clothing. I also dress around my chosen EDC. When the VP9sk comes out, hopefully at Shot 2016, I will be one of the first to throw my money at it. At which point, I will carry apendix and won't look back. But, I digress, both are excellent firearms, I just like the VP9 a bit more.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I recently picked up a PPQ and absolutely love it. My groups were larger than I wanted until I changed the backstrap. Now I'm looking at 1-2" at 25 yards indoors. I usually carry it in my inner coat pocket. I'll probably pick up a holster for it at the 1500. The trigger is very light and the reset is pretty short but I don't think it will be a problem for me. If you want I could meet you at Parabellum in Avon and let you shoot it. It has less than 50 rounds through it so it is still pretty tight.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I recently picked up a PPQ and absolutely love it. My groups were larger than I wanted until I changed the backstrap. Now I'm looking at 1-2" at 25 yards indoors. I usually carry it in my inner coat pocket. I'll probably pick up a holster for it at the 1500. The trigger is very light and the reset is pretty short but I don't think it will be a problem for me. If you want I could meet you at Parabellum in Avon and let you shoot it. It has less than 50 rounds through it so it is still pretty tight.

Sounds like it could turn into a big problem as in ND

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

It's not that light. You do still have to pull it. Since it's striker fired a jolt isn't going to have the hammer slip off the sear. I'm confident that it's not going to ND or more accurately AD. If you are referring to pulling the trigger while being removed from the pocket, proper training will keep that from happening just as if it was being pulled from a holster.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    PPQ all the way.

Besides, you may get your gun wet at some point, and I'm not sure I would trust the VP9.

Our own MAC torture testing the VP9 and it fails in the very first puddle test. Yikes!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOu5ZGfgtVk
    Oh please.....One guy does a non-standardized gun test and has issues. Everyone freaks out. Another individual in Alaska does same water and mud test as MAC and has no failures. I carry a VP9 everyday I'm not at work. It's a great gun. I've been carrying everyday for 14 years and never had my gun end up in a water puddle. If you work and play like a pig, then maybe an Hk P30 or Sig P226 is better for you. But for the other 99.9% of us it'll be just fine.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I have both the VP9 and just picked up a PPQ M2 in 45acp. I love both of these guns. They both shoot great and have sweet triggers. I think it boils down to the paddle mag release on the VP9 or the traditional side button on the PPQ. I do not see how you can go wrong with either one.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Oh please.....One guy does a non-standardized gun test and has issues. Everyone freaks out. Another individual in Alaska does same water and mud test as MAC and has no failures. I carry a VP9 everyday I'm not at work. It's a great gun. I've been carrying everyday for 14 years and never had my gun end up in a water puddle. If you work and play like a pig, then maybe an Hk P30 or Sig P226 is better for you. But for the other 99.9% of us it'll be just fine.

Oh! You must be speaking of this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghidy-kCR9E

BTW, his VPN chokes every time he feeds it. You may want to watch it again.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have both (superior, imo, M1 version though). Both have their + & -. Both are really good guns but neither are my go to pistol.

PPQ better trigger but too light imo.
    VP9 more comfortable to shoot.
    PPQ won't work with a Streamlight at the front most position (mine broke).

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have the VP9 and have carried it since its release as my EDC, I have shot the Walther (a buddy of mine has one) and have several Walthers but not the PPQ. I prefer the VP9, its great shooter out of the box and at 6'6" and 280 I can carry it just about anywhere I want. I liked it so much I bought 2 as well as the VP40. I prefer the paddle release as I have carried HK all of my adult life, but in reality I am sure either one would serve you well, admittedly I am probably a little biased as I am a huge HK fan... Have you shot both of them? If you are ever in the area up here I would meet ya at the range to test run them.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've been doing a lot of research on the VP9 since the Ruger American Pistol seems to have some problems. I like everything I've seen so far. There was one review where the guy pits it against the PPQ and listed a lot of positives on both and very few negatives. I think they will compliment each other very well.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    If you are considering these guns I would highly recommend looking at a Canik tp9sa. It too is a gun very similar to the ones you mentioned. It is a military grade gun that is my best shooter and has been since I put it in my hands. Everyone at the range wants to know the name of it is after I offer for them to shoot it. I had a friend shoot it and it is now his favorite pistol as well. First time shooting it he put every shot on his target (small target at a larger distance) and he could not do that with his go to gun. Holds 18 rounds and with a mag +2 extender will do 20 -21 rounds. Its price ($330) will leave you enough with money leftover to buy several hundred rounds to break in your new gun. Comes with serpa style holster, mag loader and misc brushes. Check it out- its a sleeper of a gun!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Sounds more like a PEBCAK type of error to me.

The PPQ trigger is amazing, and it isn't an ounce too light. Someone who tells you that has gotten too used to cranking on a Glock trigger. I have two, and while one only has 25 through it, the next serial number has somewhere just north of a thousand or so at this point. Very accurate, completely reliable at this point. I don't have enough through it expect to find out what would wear out on one. All pistols will at some point, but I don't think that will be a problem for a while. I have the 4" because it is my EDC pistol. It is a 9mm because, well, I won't start that debate. I'm going to get the .45, and sometime after that I'll get the 5", probably in .40, just to have the ability to shoot .40 again.

Top Bottom