• ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have officially given up.

I really like this gun. Really I do. I love its size and thinness, I love its feel in my hand, and god help me, I've come to love the magazine release.

But I can't shoot it worth a crap. Doesn't matter the ammo, how slow and gentle and careful I am, I'm all over the paper at 50 feet, and we won't even talk about rapid fire. I now have over 2k rounds through it and still can't shoot it worth a damn.

I stopped carrying it as much except out at the Ranch since I got my G36.

It needs to go. Now the decision is G27, since the Glock platform is very familiar for me as some form of Glock has been my EDC for nigh upon almost 2 decades now, or the Kahr PM 40 which is even smaller than the PPS and was the second contender to it when I was searching last year.

I can get the G27 fairly cheap with the Public Safety discount, or I can look around for a good price on a PM40. Anyone seen any new sub-$600?​

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would not recommend the PM40. The PM9 is a great little gun but the recoil on the PM40 is very harsh. I'd go Glock if that's what you are used to, the trigger reset on the PM pistols is substantially longer than the Glocks but the pull is better so it's a compromise I guess. Easy to short stroke a PM if your muscle memory is dialed in for a Glock.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I would not recommend the PM40. The PM9 is a great little gun but the recoil on the PM40 is very harsh. I'd go Glock if that's what you are used to, the trigger reset on the PM pistols is substantially longer than the Glocks but the pull is better so it's a compromise I guess. Easy to short stroke a PM if your muscle memory is dialed in for a Glock.

That's kind of what I was thinking. One of the reasons I went with the PPS was that the trigger pull was so similar to the Glock.

Harsh recoil I'm not afraid of, I shoot 10mm afterall :) but the long trigger pull had me concerned, I've had issues with it before in other guns. What I was mostly looking for when I was looking last year was a more powerful pocket gun and the PPS was just too big to be a pocket gun, though it is an excellent concealed carry gun because of its size.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have a .40 PPS and it is not my favorite range gun. HOWEVER, I will say this, the ammo makes a significant difference in the group size. I just put some winchester hollow points --the yellow box that says law enforcement on it or some such garbage-- through it and at 7 yards I had a 2 inch group with 7 rounds. This is the best it has ever performed. Usually looking at a 5-6 inch group at that distance. I don't know if it would be worth it to you to try and find a load it likes, but just thought I'd share before you drop $600 on a new piece.

GL.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Might want to look into whether or not you still qualify for the Glock public servant discount.

I think someone posted the release not too long about about DQ-ing almost everyone but for LEO and Military.

-J-

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Most of my practical pistol experience has been with the Glock. Although I've carried a .38 revolver and a Beretta M9 in the military, I never really trained with either and I went through a police qualification and a number of semi-annual requals with the Glock 22, Glock 23, and Glock 27 as carry pistols. The G27 is my EDC and has been since 1998 and I like it quite a bit, so anyone can see I'm a bit biased. I don't shoot well beyond about 15m, but strangely, I usually managed to shoot as well at that range with the G27 as I did with the G22. I'm pretty happy with its concealability and it works well for me as a concealed-carry pistol.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    :rolleyes:

Always one in every thread.

LOL!

Good luck finding your replacement.

For whatever reason, I have never been a fan on the .40.. just personal preference perhaps.

I always end up carrying a .45 whenever I can, a 9 when I need something smaller and a .380 when I need a pocket pistol.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Most of my practical pistol experience has been with the Glock. Although I've carried a .38 revolver and a Beretta M9 in the military, I never really trained with either and I went through a police qualification and a number of semi-annual requals with the Glock 22, Glock 23, and Glock 27 as carry pistols. The G27 is my EDC and has been since 1998 and I like it quite a bit, so anyone can see I'm a bit biased. I don't shoot well beyond about 15m, but strangely, I usually managed to shoot as well at that range with the G27 as I did with the G22. I'm pretty happy with its concealability and it works well for me as a concealed-carry pistol.

If your G22 was issued to you and your G27 was personally owned, chances are your G22 had an 8lb "lawyer trigger" in it and your personal had a 5lb standard trigger. I see this daily with our officers. Shorter barrel, shorter sight radius but many have no problems qualifying with their person G27's yet struggle with their issued pistols.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LOL!

Good luck finding your replacement.

For whatever reason, I have never been a fan on the .40.. just personal preference perhaps.

I always end up carrying a .45 whenever I can, a 9 when I need something smaller and a .380 when I need a pocket pistol.

My normal EDC is a 10mm. I carry a .45 (G36) when I want more concealability. I had bought the PPS with the intention of having a pocket gun with more oomph than my .380, but the PPS proved to be too big for true pocket carry. For a whole host of reasons I'm avoiding 9mm, so the hope of having a .40 that will actually fit in a pocket was about 80% of the motivation in making the decision between the PPS and the PM40.

Now I'm invested in the .40 (dies for reloading and .40 conversion bbls for my 10mm glocks), so I'm sticking with the .40. Now the decision is to just give up on true pocket carry and get the G27, or to try the PM40 for a while and decide if it is too snappy/can I adjust to the trigger/can I shoot it worth a damn. I'm leaning towards the PM40. It's not like I'm out the entire cost of the gun if I try it for a year and decide to sell it.

Top Bottom