Walther SP22: A Better "Modular" Option?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I bought a Beretta Neos shortly after they were introduced several years back. I was looking for an all-around field/recreational RF semiauto: something versatile, a little "different", relatively inexpensive, and more LH-friendly than the more usual platforms like the Ruger and Buckmark.

Perhaps the major selling points for me at the time were the ambidextrous thumb safety and the 'modular' design, for which Beretta claimed that loads of options would be forthcoming shortly, particularly sights and a range of differently sized grip frames.

Well, here we are and basically none of that has materialized. There're a "carbine conversion" and a couple of barrel length choices, but the only difference in the grip frames are the color of the inserts and their prices. No front sight replacements other than the too-wide blade that came on it, and virtually nothing that I've been able to turn up from the aftermarket either.

I'm tired of putting up with the too-small-for-my-hands grip, the front sight blade that covers the width of a pop can completely at 25 yds and leaves virtually no daylight when centered in the rear notch and waiting for Beretta to do anything about them. And that ambi thumb safety that still takes two hands because it's so poorly positioned might as well not even be there for all the practical use it is.

I still like the modular concept, but I've gotten so fed up with the Neos that I'm looking for a better execution. What I want to avoid, if possible, is losing the only two positive things the Neos offers (good accuracy and reliable functioning) in the change.

If anybody out there has got one of the Walther SP22's, preferably one of the less expensive models, and can give me the skinny on how modualr design features actually deliver I'd be most appreciative.

Top Bottom