• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Well tax time is coming, and Im thinking of treating myself to a new ar. Thinking of doing a simple build for the new year. Any suggestions? thinking m4 platform flat top reciever, adjustable stock, handgrips and 16 in barrel. looking forward to suggestions.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    for just all around fun plinking, than 16" m4 style, flat top is fine...you can use iron sights or change it up to optical sights at anytime

now if you plan to do further distances than it will alter design aspects such as sights, handguard, barrel, etc......what you plan to do with it determines best design options

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    As mentioned above PSA will do you up nice. They are a board supporter, have good CS, offer teir 1&2 level parts affordably, publicaly post their specs and so far all of us that have them are loving them.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    thanks for the advice, Im gonna start looking into the mentioned builds. I want it for mostly range and home defense if all else fails. I was thinking maybe a longer range if I can afford it.

VIPER5051

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I havesome money saved up and want to build one myself i decided on a 20" from del-ton which i have heard its good but also heard horror stories about 6 month waits......... anybody know if this is true?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I havesome money saved up and want to build one myself i decided on a 20" from del-ton which i have heard its good but also heard horror stories about 6 month waits......... anybody know if this is true?

I think this forum is the only place I've ever seen Del-ton mentioned in favorable light. I send my money elsewhere.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Like i said, I've built three of them and ahve been nothing but happy. They can have a wait to them at times. Check out Midway as they now carry Del Ton kits. They often have the 20" kit in stock for the same price as Del Ton and no waiting.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    So for a savings of $30 I can order Del-ton kit over a similar PSA and get a non-spec barrel without chrome lining, mystery metal parts and I'm sure that there hasn't been a single MP or HP test or, or, or.:dunno:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Check out JSE Surplus. I just finished a complete build at $535 by shopping around and bought everything there except the lower which I bought at Indy Tactical Supply in Mooresville.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    classic arms has the delton kit for $449 and the complete upper for i think $379 wont save much going that route but $20 saved is $20 in ammo or other parts

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    It would be false economy to not go with PSA for an inexpensive build.

You have a company just getting into the full on spec built AR game and their prices reflect their market building attempts. Just like BCM and DD, if their quality bears out like it appears it will, these same rifles will be $800 a year from now.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    So for a savings of $30 I can order Del-ton kit over a similar PSA and get a non-spec barrel without chrome lining, mystery metal parts and I'm sure that there hasn't been a single MP or HP test or, or, or.:dunno:

Chrome lining is a joke, my Del Ton barrels shot well under MOA for me with factory ammo, even better with handloads. and I shot a couple thousand rounds through the second build with ZERO issues. Not trying to tell YOU what to buy, just relating my personal experiences. I'm sure everything PSA sells is made from forged unicorn horn or soemthing and surely NOT made at the same damned casting facility as 90% of the other parts out there.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    It would be false economy to not go with PSA for an inexpensive build.

You have a company just getting into the full on spec built AR game and their prices reflect their market building attempts. Just like BCM and DD, if their quality bears out like it appears it will, these same rifles will be $800 a year from now.

i agree PSA build the way to go......:yesway:

Top Bottom