• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Essay is simple, just copy the second amendment and the pre-amble to the Constitution.

And in other news, another idiot opens his mouth and proves it.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As if the chief of police having an idiotic idea of making folks write an essay to exercise a right isn't bad enough, the article says he is also planning on making them take additional training that would cost $1100 just to do what the Constitution already guarantees they can do anyway. Not only is he flagrantly abusing his job's power to make these requirements, he's looking to get rich doing so. Real piece of work right there...real piece of work.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Chief William Taylor, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong, but we think you're crazy for making us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out, is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basketcase, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Prior to some time in the 1990's, Indiana required a written explanation as to why you needed a permit to carry a handgun. That's right.....a "Permit." There were actually 2 types of permits. One was strictly for "Target" and it provided you with a legal way to transport your firearm to and from the range. The other type was called the "Unlimited", and let you carry a concealed handgun or any other firearm that you legally owned, on your person or in your vehicle. I can't remember if "Open Carry" was legal or not. I always carry concealed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The essay is to explain why I want the right to carry a handgun? OK, here's mine:
    I want my rights, all of them, because f*** you.
    I want to carry a handgun for the same reason you do, and I don't have a radio to call in a whole department to back me up.
    That's reason enough.

Blessings,
    Bill

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Prior to some time in the 1990's, Indiana required a written explanation as to why you needed a permit to carry a handgun. That's right.....a "Permit." There were actually 2 types of permits. One was strictly for "Target" and it provided you with a legal way to transport your firearm to and from the range. The other type was called the "Unlimited", and let you carry a concealed handgun or any other firearm that you legally owned, on your person or in your vehicle. I can't remember if "Open Carry" was legal or not. I always carry concealed.

I was 18 the first time I had to answer that question on the application. The answer was this, "it is my understanding that it's my constitutional right to keep and to bare arms". Always worked.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka

I had to do this also. It was my first time applying. Thought it odd then.

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    Chief William Taylor, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong, but we think you're crazy for making us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out, is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basketcase, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club.

^^^^^^ Freaking Awesome!!!
    :+1:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

Ha!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

This was my experience as well.
    I simply stated,
    "I wish to exercise my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms."

That was it, and my local sheriff approved my application almost immediately.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I wish to carry legally instead of constantly worrying I will be charged for carrying illegally like I have been doing for decades. I also want to point out the financial gain to the community of not only having to pay for my medical expenses should I survive, but you will most likely save about $50,000 per year that you would have had to spend if you locked up my attacker since he will likely be buried by his next of kin. I would also like to point out it is a constitutional right, so I don't know why you think we need a piece of paper agreeing that YOU "authorize" something that is a right endowed by my creator, who just happens to be your immediate boss and final judge. Stop wasting my time, and the time of the good people of this state and get back to actually doing your job before we fire your behind next election. I already have the signed authorization by the following 56 patriots. https://www.constitutionfacts.com/us-declaration-of-independence/about-the-signers/

In Liberty, YOUR BOSS

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Dear Chief Taylor,

I need a permit to carry a handgun because I don't trust my local law enforcement to help me when I need them. They are ideologically driven tools.

k thnx bai,

F*** you

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Dear Chief Taylor,

I need a permit to carry a handgun because I don't trust my local law enforcement to help me when I need them. They are ideologically driven tools.

k thnx bai,

F*** you

When seconds count, cops are just minutes away, everybody knows that !

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

It used to be this way in Indiana a long time back.

When I applied for my first concealed carry permit in 1984, there was a space to fill in what my reason was for wanting a concealed carry permit.
    In those days, you could be denied or given a limited concealed carry permit depending on what you wrote.
    Many people would be tricked into writing long involved "reasons", not realizing it wasn't legally required.
    I simply cited Schubert v. DeBard as I had been advised, and said my reason is for "Personal Protection" and left it at that.

I got my permit without any issues.

SCHUBERT v. DeBARD | Leagle.com

Top Bottom