• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Please define what you mean by long range? Also, is this going to be used to shoot targets at a longer range, or varmint (coyotes, etc.)? This will make a world of difference in the type of AR configurations people will suggest. If absolute accuracy is what you are looking to achieve, then you may want to consider a stainless steel bull barrel, however, this will increase the weight and limit its use in other situations. Decide on the purpose of the rifle and go from there.

As always, "buy once, cry once." It is better to delay gratification and get what you want then to be forever wishing you had done it right the first time.

While I would like to shoot at longer ranges, I don't want a bull barrel at this time due to added weight. I'll primarily use it for target and varmints.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Personally - get a lower from palemetto state armory. If you are close to Lafayette four guns on Earl st. Doe $15 dollar transfers, the Lower is $50 and shipping is $7. You will not find a better deal. Palmetto state armory (psa) also has lower parts kits for around $50 ( like them on Facebook and sometimes you get a discount plus they run promotions through their fb account) they also bundle Lowe build kits together you may find one tha you really like!

Next is a budget based decision I would buy ( if wanting a 16" ) either an assembled upper recover from bravo company manufacturing, or get a complete upper from psa( speculation leads me to believe that they source some of their upper from fn. I cannot prove this though) the psa upper will run $399 with bolt and bolt carrier group. Bravo company will cos about 399 but then you also need to get a bolt carrier group. I would get a dainel defense fixed rear iron sights. And lagoon moe handguards

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    While I would like to shoot at longer ranges, I don't want a bull barrel at this time due to added weight. I'll primarily use it for target and varmints.

Ignore what people say about bull barrels and heavy barrels. The accuracy difference is wasted on pretty much everyone besides those who pull the trigger as fast as possible at the range inbetween shooting groups. Lets exclude the competition stuff.

A pencil barrel will be more than accurate enough for just about anything besides long strings of shooting. Even if you do actually notice the accuracy difference, when you have a 5-6 pound rifle in your hands and feel the weight of an HBAR, you'll be so glad you went lightweight.

I found this picture awhile back and it really tells the tale.

0paTI.jpg

The biggest accuracy difference for most people is the stability of the added weight of a heavy barrel. It's not actually that the gun is more accurate, it's just more stable offhand.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Do your research first of all, lots of research. If you say you want quality look at Noveske, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Colt, LMT; there are a few more but these are the ones that come to mind. Go become a member of m4carbine.net; not that there isn't good advice here but there are people on there that live and breath ARs. You will get a load of good info from there. Decide what configuration you want and how much you want to spend. I would stick to a pretty simple setup especially for your first one. Also check out "the chart". While it is not gospel and will not tell you the best AR ever, it is a good purchasing guide and allows you to become a more informed shopper. Here is the Chart

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

Also here is a good link that explains the chart. The link posted before "so you want an AR" is a very good one too.
    Explanation of The Chart - M4Carbine.net Forums

Lastly do not be afraid to spend a little more dough for some of the other features, staked gas key, chrome lining, MPI/HPT tested bolt, M4 upper feedramps, etc. Granted yes a lot of the bargain bin ARs will do well for a lot of plinkers, but why not spend just a little more for a rifle you know will be rock solid and could trust your life on and will last a lifetime.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Check Red-X firearms. I recently built an AR with a Plum Crazy lower and Red-X 5.56 upper for $500. The rifle shoots very nice so far.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Thanks for all of the comments. I have been reading and researching. I'm getting a good idea of what I want and need. Hopefully I will have an M4 in my very near future.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I wouldn't buy the cheapest AR I could find, and I certainly wouldn't buy the most expensive AR I could find either.
    Since you are going to be learning the platform I would start with something pretty basic.
    If this is also going be something that could be used as a a home defense gun you might check out the Colt 6720 LW. Chrome lined pencil barrel. Flat top receiver. They handle like a dream and are decently accurate. The only place I've seen these so far is Clyde Armory. I've heard that other places may have them soon too.
    Anymore most Colt AR's are middle ground as far as price.

Last edited:

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Read, study, read some more. Decide what you want. Don't buy one because it is cheaper and then spend money on cheap accessories just so it is cool looking. Spend the money for something better, learn how to shoot it, and then worry about any accessories.

:twocents:
    Read, study, and read some more. Damned good advice. But your wish to jump into the AR world wanting a .308 is confusing to me. .308 AR's are big and expensive. If you are on a budget (and it sounds like you are), then why the 308? Unless you are hunting dear, or Elk, none of which you can do in Indiana, why the bigger caliber? Consider the .223/556, cheaper ammo, etc...,

Although..., there are some local "Elk" members I know of. What do the Elk members do? Other than get long-necks at $2 and play in golf scrambles..., are they the ones that ride the silly go-carts at parades?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    look at the sun devil ar i just bought one and its great
    very acurate no problems out of it :ar15:

Sun Devil makes some of the best billet uppers and lowers available. But the rifle is more than just the upper and lower. Is your Sun Devil a complete rifle built by them or was it a gun built on their upper and lower billets? I'm not aware of too many Sun Devil complete factory rifles and would expect them to be very expensive given that just a set of their receivers cost $320 for stripped parts.

I'd rate the Sun Devil billet parts I have as the best I own.

rpgoings

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    southside indy
    ar

my sun devil is a complete sun devil upper and lower i have owend a few difrent ar's and this is the best one yet it is the full buillet upper and lower
    they are a littel pricey

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all of the comments. I have been reading and researching. I'm getting a good idea of what I want and need. Hopefully I will have an M4 in my very near future.

I bought a stripped lower for $89 and a Del-Ton 20" basic rifle kit on Black Friday and put together an AR-15 for my daughter for a little over $500. It looks very nice and is very tight. No chrome for me as I do not plan to have it in extenuating environments.

On the other hand, I have a DPMS LR308 AP4 with an Leupold VX-3 scope and other extras that I bought used for around $1500 and it is very accurate and nice to shoot. They are much heavier than the AR-15.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Although We haven't got to the range with it, the Hi-Standard I recently purchased from Beech Grove Firearns looks like it's going to be a nice shooter. One thing I noticed about it was that ther is very little slop between the upper and lower reciver. And the cabine lenght barrel does not have the reducton for were a grenade launcher would be mounted which those always looksd funny to me. Range report comming soon, too hot the past day or so. Total was about $750. And my brother took a friend around to shop for an AR and bought a Spyderco from Bradis and is real happy with it after going to the range this past Wed. I think the price on it was about what I spent on the HI-Standard.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I bought a stripped lower for $89 and a Del-Ton 20" basic rifle kit on Black Friday and put together an AR-15 for my daughter for a little over $500. It looks very nice and is very tight. No chrome for me as I do not plan to have it in extenuating environments.

On the other hand, I have a DPMS LR308 AP4 with an Leupold VX-3 scope and other extras that I bought used for around $1500 and it is very accurate and nice to shoot. They are much heavier than the AR-15.

I checked out a 308 DPMS. Those are very nice but heavier than I want and little more than I can spend right now.
    A friend of mine told me to look at Del-Ton and I like what I read and just handled one and a local shop and liked it. Where did not get you Del-Ton on Black Friday? I would love to build one in the $500 range.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I checked out a 308 DPMS. Those are very nice but heavier than I want and little more than I can spend right now.
    A friend of mine told me to look at Del-Ton and I like what I read and just handled one and a local shop and liked it. Where did not get you Del-Ton on Black Friday? I would love to build one in the $500 range.

Just wait till Black Friday (25th November this year) and check their website. I ordered directly from Del ton Rifle Kits & Del ton AR 15 Rifles | Gun Supplies & Gun Accessories from Del-ton, Inc.. They had something like 15% off last year.

I got picked up two spikes tactical stripped lowers in a group buy one year for about $89 apiece but you can find some brands for around $100. You will pay more than $500 but less than $600 for a nice AR that way.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Just wait till Black Friday (25th November this year) and check their website. I ordered directly from Del ton Rifle Kits & Del ton AR 15 Rifles | Gun Supplies & Gun Accessories from Del-ton, Inc.. They had something like 15% off last year.

I got picked up two spikes tactical stripped lowers in a group buy one year for about $89 apiece but you can find some brands for around $100. You will pay more than $500 but less than $600 for a nice AR that way.

That's awesome. I am very familiar with Del-Ton's website. I'll be sure to wait until Black Friday to purchase my kit. I'll look to buy my low from someone local. Thanks again for the information.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My advice about any purchase it don't try to be cheap up front. Save your money until you can afford a good one, exactly the way you want it. That will be way cheaper in the long run. I tried to be cheap in the early eighties and bought a plan jane Springfield .45. As money allowed, I sent it three different times to top rated gunsmiths for more modification and upgrades. A couple years later, I had a VERY FINE pistol that had all the features and all the quality of a Les Baer Priemier II. The trouble was, I had well over $2400 in mine and the Les Baer pistols were selling for $1400, so I was a grand upside down. When I went to sell it, It sold for Springfield price, not Les Baer price, so I was out about another $500 on trade. That made the price wasted equal to what I really wanted in the first place. Save and wait, and end up with what you really want.

Top Bottom