• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    As the title suggests, I'd like to borrow a box trap from someone in Bloomington. An opossum has taken up residence under my home and I can't just shoot it. If you have an opossum-sized trap that you'd let me borrow, please let me know. I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Josh

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I have one of those Haveahart(SP?) traps you are welcome to borrow. It's supposed to be squirrel/chipmunk sized, however, all I've ever caught in it is a skunk! You would love that story! Anyway, PM me and we'll meet up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well, I am not particularly interested in a skunk magnet, but I'd give it a try if we can make arrangements.

If anyone has a larger trap, I'd be glad to borrow it.

Thanks,
    Josh

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Well, I am not particularly interested in a skunk magnet, but I'd give it a try if we can make arrangements.

If anyone has a larger trap, I'd be glad to borrow it.

Thanks,
    Josh

I've got one but could never catch anything in it but my cats. I found a 22 was much more effective and longer lasting. Mine is coon sized ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sadly, 22 is not an option. I am in the city and would have problems on my hands, pronto. Not to mention, it would be hard to take care of it safely. There is no safe direction. Believe me, the thought has entered my mind, but I just don't think its the best way.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Cage it and place the cage in a trashcan full of water. Problem solved.

Once caged the cage can go to a county and to a backstop where the .22 could then be employed. That being said, the water thing works too. Did that once to a pest myself. Yuck, but worked.

Too bad no backstop, otherwise a suppressed P22 suddenly looks useful.

If it were a smaller critter I would offer up a pellet gun, but that would only tick it off.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ok guys, here's an update (in case you care):

A member generously offered me a box trap, which I was happy to use. Mr. and Mrs. 4Sarge were very kind and welcoming when the little lady and I stopped by to pick up the trap.

4Sarge recommended I stake down the trap, so that the vermin would not be able to flip the trap and possibly wiggle loose. Bwframe suggested that I use cantaloupe for bait. It is very aromatic and, thus far, the animals seem to like it. I used wire ties to secure the bait to the bottom of the cage, so they couldn't run off with it. Instead it/they just ate the cantaloupe while in the cage, and then left.

The bait has been chewed, the door to the cage has been tripped, and the vermin is/are gone. The cage hasn't been moved or anything, so I don't know how they managed to defeat my plan. The cage is under my house, and I haven't yet crawled underneath to inspect how it/they tripped the cage but still escaped. If this doesn't work out soon I am going to Claymores.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Sounds like josh, your vermin for is defeating you by reaching through the cage more than likely. I take an empty tuna can or soup can and tie wire it to the bottom of the cage and bait with peanut butter or marshmallow puff. They cant reach through and steal the bait in the can and they cant pick the bait up and eat it in an alternate location. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Ok guys, here's an update (in case you care):

A member generously offered me a box trap, which I was happy to use. Mr. and Mrs. 4Sarge were very kind and welcoming when the little lady and I stopped by to pick up the trap.

4Sarge recommended I stake down the trap, so that the vermin would not be able to flip the trap and possibly wiggle loose. Bwframe suggested that I use cantaloupe for bait. It is very aromatic and, thus far, the animals seem to like it. I used wire ties to secure the bait to the bottom of the cage, so they couldn't run off with it. Instead it/they just ate the cantaloupe while in the cage, and then left.

The bait has been chewed, the door to the cage has been tripped, and the vermin is/are gone. The cage hasn't been moved or anything, so I don't know how they managed to defeat my plan. The cage is under my house, and I haven't yet crawled underneath to inspect how it/they tripped the cage but still escaped. If this doesn't work out soon I am going to Claymores.

possums are able to reach over the trip plate of most box traps..
    I have been able to get them by placing a large stone tile or plank of wood over the trip plate, to make a much larger area to trip with..

also make sure your bait is not very large, and place something in the way so they have to get all the way into the trap to get food..
    also possums can cling to top of trap.. so you may need to do something to avoid that...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You could poison it with fly poison and a pepsi. Rural King or tractor supply sells solid fly poison in a crystral form. Put it in bowl, add a pepsi for flavor and they drink it like candy. Usually don't make it more than 10-15 yards. I have never done this myself, but a farmer friend of mine wreaks havoc with the drink and swears by it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    You could poison it with fly poison and a pepsi. Rural King or tractor supply sells solid fly poison in a crystral form. Put it in bowl, add a pepsi for flavor and they drink it like candy. Usually don't make it more than 10-15 yards. I have never done this myself, but a farmer friend of mine wreaks havoc with the drink and swears by it.

I may consider it, but only if it works as quickly as advertised. The problem is that the critter has made it's home underneath mine, and it could easily get poisoned, crawl into it's hideaway, and die. Then I wouldn't be able to reach it without causing a lot of damage that I would have to repair. The alternative would be a rotting carcass. I really don't want to get into that mess.

I've already considered antifreeze, but I don't think that stuff works nearly as quickly.

I reset the trap the other day, and it appears they aren't interested in the cantaloupe anymore. If I don't have vermin by tomorrow afternoon, I am going to crawl under there with some marshmallows in a tin can.

Thanks for the help guys, and feel free to keep it coming.

I will be sure to update with the kill count.

EDIT: In response to a suggestion above, I wanted to point out that the wire on the cage is spaced so closely that the animal is not able to reach in. Further, the bait is in the center of the cage, and the animal would have to have pretty long arms, even if it could reach in through the sides. I plan to nullify this possibility by using a tin can.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It would take a varmit of that size a long time to dry up and stop stinking. :)

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    BY the way Possum is good eating.

google it.

Civil war folks ate them as a means of survival.

I can't find my recipe Sorry. I must have deleted it by accident.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    BY the way Possum is good eating.

google it.

Civil war folks ate them as a means of survival.

I can't find my recipe Sorry. I must have deleted it by accident.

I seriously doubt that there is a dirty animal. Could not begin to eat one.

Top Bottom