• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Hello, new to the site but im liking what I see. Im about to end my contract in the military and want to build a custom M-4 from the ground up. If anyone knows a good gunsmith who I can talk with about the matter it would be appreciated, but what I would like to know is if anyone knows if its possible to build from a Vltor VIS upper in 6.5 Grendel.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    You don't need a gunsmith;) Read the sticky threads in this sub forum. They will help you out a lot.

What do you want to start with?

Do you know what kind of lower receiver you want?

Last edited:

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks!

No idea about the lower as of yet, the major thing I was thinking about was the length of the handguards and barrel I want. I like the look of no barrel protruding from the end of the handguards, just the comp or flash hider. What Im afraid of is it ending up to small with the 7 in. But the 9 in is close to legal limits anyways

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Thanks!

No idea about the lower as of yet, the major thing I was thinking about was the length of the handguards and barrel I want. I like the look of no barrel protruding from the end of the handguards, just the comp or flash hider. What Im afraid of is it ending up to small with the 7 in. But the 9 in is close to legal limits anyways

I've read you don't want to go shorter than 10.5. If you are building a custom SBR I would'nt worry about hand guards, I'd go with a rail;) Is that what you meant?

This link is a great reference that shows what different length rails look like with different length barrels.
    http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/Charts/StealthProfileSheet_Rev-3-16-09.jpg

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Ah yes my mistake, a rail. Would you know if the comp adds to the legal barrel length by chance?

And thanks for the link, I like the way the 7.5 looks. Now if the comp counts as barrel length, Id go with a 9 in rail. But the 12 In barrel with the 11in rail is the look im going for.

And now knowing that I no longer require a gunsmith, it seems I have some work to do in figureing this out. Thanks for you help! Its well recived

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ah yes my mistake, a rail. Would you know if the comp adds to the legal barrel length by chance?

And thanks for the link, I like the way the 7.5 looks. Now if the comp counts as barrel length, Id go with a 9 in rail. But the 12 In barrel with the 11in rail is the look im going for.

And now knowing that I no longer require a gunsmith, it seems I have some work to do in figureing this out. Thanks for you help! Its well recived

Once you go under 16 inches it doesn't matter they are all SBR's. 7.5, 10.5, 11, 14.5...all the same.

Top Bottom