• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    So I've got my 91/30, some fatigues, and a desire to get into hunting. Problem is, I don't know anyone who hunts, and the one and only time I ever went hunting was with my jerk stepdad chasing rabbits when I was 12. Never bagged anything myself. Now I'm an adult who has never once been on a real hunt. I really want to try it out though, but I'm a N00B in every sense of the word. I don't want my son to grow up never once having hunted with his dad. But at the same time I know I need to know what I'm doing before I try to show him anything.

I saw some people talking about Coyote hunting, and I think I might try that first. What do I need to do? Do I need a license for that? Also, where to go? And what gear to use? I have no clue how to get started. Help me, seasoned prey-stalkers!! :dunno:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Rabbit season goes out on the 15th.

If you are free later in the week I can take you hunting. Its fun with the snow on the ground.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Rabbit season goes out on the 15th.

If you are free later in the week I can take you hunting. Its fun with the snow on the ground.

Seriously? That'd be great!
    What to bring? I've got a Mossy 500. Something tells me most people aren't hunting rabbits with 7.62X54r. lol Also, do I need to get a license?

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Coyote hunting is fun. It is a good start too. There is a lot less pressure than other hunts. I think you need a license for them unless you are a landowner. Not positive on that one though.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    You can get an Indiana hunting license online fairly easily if you were born before 1986 or if you've have a hunter's ed course.

DNR: Purchase a License

I just started this year myself; a co-worker's husband took me with him for rabbit and squirrel.

Awesome! Thanks for the link! Yeah I've wanted to for a few years now, but haven't known anyone to ask advice of until I came here to INGO.

Coyote hunting is fun. It is a good start too. There is a lot less pressure than other hunts. I think you need a license for them unless you are a landowner. Not positive on that one though.

Coyote hunting sounds like a ton of fun. But seeing all the nv scopes and digital calls makes me feel like maybe there's a LOT more to it than I can handle just yet. It kinda discourages me. I don't have an AR, scope, or any special gear like that. Is it even worth hunting them with iron sights? I hope so cause I'd really like to try it out!

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Awesome! Thanks for the link! Yeah I've wanted to for a few years now, but haven't known anyone to ask advice of until I came here to INGO.

Coyote hunting sounds like a ton of fun. But seeing all the nv scopes and digital calls makes me feel like maybe there's a LOT more to it than I can handle just yet. It kinda discourages me. I don't have an AR, scope, or any special gear like that. Is it even worth hunting them with iron sights? I hope so cause I'd really like to try it out!

I have killed more coyotes with a walmart call and an open sighted shotgun than anything else.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Shoot me a pm. I would like to go wednesday or thursday. I can walk you thru what ever you need.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    You are really coming into the off season now as far as hunting tasty animals goes. You should use this time to get ready for next year. (Although I would still go coyote hunting since you have the chance.) You should hit the DNR's website and thoroughly read up on the seasons and the requirements. Also, now is a great time to hit the stores and look for clearance sales on calls and other hunting gear. Turkey season is going to be your next chance to bag dinner.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_generalinfo.pdf

Last edited:

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Shoot me a pm. I would like to go wednesday or thursday. I can walk you thru what ever you need.

Awesome. Doing it now.

You are really coming into the off season now as far as hunting tasty animals goes. You should use this time to get ready for next year. (Although I would still go coyote hunting since you have the chance.) You should hit the DNR's website and thoroughly read up on the seasons and the requirements. Also, now is a great time to hit the stores and look for clearance sales on calls and other hunting gear. Turkey season is going to be your next chance to bag dinner.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_generalinfo.pdf

Yeah I kinda figured that. It's okay with me if I can't bag dinner yet. I'm just wanting to learn the ropes and get the feel for it. Thanks for the link, man. I'll be reading the heck out of that. :)
    Turkey hunting sounds awesome. Where's a good place for that?

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Yes it's time to get started for next season...Go on the rabbit hunt if you can and listen to your guide!!! Guns and equipment don't have to be expensive but you need to be proficient with them. If you have a 7.92x54 put in the range time and become accurate to 150 to 200 yards. I think 12ga. is overkill for most small game in Indiana except for ducks and geese but many people use them. So use what you have and get a slug barrel for it for deer. You need a decent 22lr for lots of practice and stalking squirrels. Squirrel hunting is underrated for improving you hunting skills and woodsmanship. Learn where your public lands are and visit them often to learn the lay of the land. Learn to look for game signs on the ground and trees and you will realize that hunting opportunities are everywhere, usually right out your backdoor (Wilber Wright FWA). Finding a friend to share it with is always great and TAKE A KID HUNTING.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    lots of good advice! i think you're right on with the squirrel hunting makes GREAT practice. I've been trying a lot of coyote hunting this year and am finding out they're a little trickier than I thought. There's a little treasure known as the Hoosier National Forest down around Lake Monroe(actually its goes all the way Kentucky) you might want to check out, especially for turkey.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Yes it's time to get started for next season...Go on the rabbit hunt if you can and listen to your guide!!!

Will do.

You need a decent 22lr for lots of practice and stalking squirrels.

That's what I'm currently shopping for. Need something to get in more target practice.

Squirrel hunting is underrated for improving you hunting skills and woodsmanship. Learn where your public lands are and visit them often to learn the lay of the land. Learn to look for game signs on the ground and trees and you will realize that hunting opportunities are everywhere, usually right out your backdoor (Wilber Wright FWA). Finding a friend to share it with is always great and TAKE A KID HUNTING.

Yeah that's the biggest part of why I want to get into it. I would like to be able to take my son, but I need to first become a competent hunter myself. I don't wanna be 'that guy' who ditty-bops through the woods just shooting whatever, scaring things off, hunting without permission, and making a fool out of himself. Everyone knows at least one 'that guy'.
    I want to learn how to do it the right way and the respectful way.

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Awesome. Doing it now.

Yeah I kinda figured that. It's okay with me if I can't bag dinner yet. I'm just wanting to learn the ropes and get the feel for it. Thanks for the link, man. I'll be reading the heck out of that. :)
    Turkey hunting sounds awesome. Where's a good place for that?

Turkey hunting is an art form. Being a good shot isn't enough. Plenty of experienced hunters can go a whole season hunting turkey and not even see one.

The first step is figuring out where you have permission to hunt. Once you know that you are going to need to scout the area in the off season and figure out where the turkeys are. Meantime you will need to figure out what sort of call you are comfortable with and practice calling. Also you will want to make sure you can tell a male from a female turkey. (I'm not insulting you, you may only have a split second to decide whether or not to pull the trigger.)

The best part comes when you get to totally camo up. Turkey hunting is the real deal as far as working on your camouflage skills, staying quiet and sitting still. I've had mushroom hunters pass within ten feet of me while turkey hunting.

Dang. Now I'm all fired up and turkey season is still two months away.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Well I just got back from Wally World. Picked up my license and some blaze orange. Can't wait to get out there. Talked to the older gent at the counter about hunting. What a wealth of knowledge that guy! Said if he was going to get back into hunting, he'd like go coyote hunting. I didn't know you needed a license for them. I thought they were a nuisance animal or something. Can someone clear this up for me?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Well I just got back from Wally World. Picked up my license and some blaze orange. Can't wait to get out there. Talked to the older gent at the counter about hunting. What a wealth of knowledge that guy! Said if he was going to get back into hunting, he'd like go coyote hunting. I didn't know you needed a license for them. I thought they were a nuisance animal or something. Can someone clear this up for me?

If you are on private property you dont need a license to shoot them.

Top Bottom