• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Well the title says it all Id like to start reloading .223 was looking at this to get started good or bad ?
    icon_smile_tongue.gif
    40452 - .223-Caliber Pro 1000 Auto Reloading Kit, Easy to Use, Warranty - Manufactured by: Lee Precision And what else do I need to get started ? Thanks in advance !

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    If you guys wish to get into reloading, I can show you how to and do so for both plinking and accuracy. Yes, I'm a reloader. :wavey:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    If your goint to start reloading it's best to get something that will allow you to load rifle and pistol.

I currently use a single stage press and it is a pain in the ass. I am going to be purchasing a dillon multi stage press very soon. My friend has the Dillon 550B and it is great. He loads about 500-1000 rounds a week. He's been using it for almost a year and it has worked flawless.

007TOM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    PERU, INDIANA
    A WORD OF CAUTION

WELL THE BEST ADVICE YOU WILL EVER GET IS ALWAYS LOAD WHILE YOU ARE NOT DISTRACTED, DEPRESSED, OR UNDER STRESS. YOU WILL FIND SPECIALS AT ALL RELOADING SITES ON MATERIALS AND SOME ARE NOT REALLY BARGAINS. TAKE POWDER AND PRIMERS FOR EXAMPLE. THEY HAVE TO BE SHIPPED AS HAZARDOUS MATERIAL AND SO THE SHIPPING COST TAKES AWAY FROM THE SPECIAL PRICE. I BUY MY POWDER AND PRIMERS AT GUN SHOWS AND SOMEONE ELSE PAYS THE HAZARD FEES. AT THE COST FOR BULK AMMO TODAY, IT IS STILL CHEAPER TO BUY LOADED AMMO. I'M NOT TRYING TO DISCOURAGE YOUR DESIRES TO RELOAD AS DOWN THE ROAD IT MIGHT BE THE ONLY WAY TO FIND AMMO AFTER THE NEWLY ELECTED OFFICIALS TAKE OFFICE. GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER DIRECTION YOU TAKE AND ABOVE ALL DO YOUR LOADING BEFORE YOU ARE LOADED. ALWAYS USE A "NEW" LOADING MANUAL AND FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I disagree with 007tom. I can reload .223 for $230 per 1k. This is on the first pass of brass. You DO break even if you buy Wolf loaded ammo. But reloaded ammo is cleaner and more accurate. Furthermore, the load gets cheaper as you get 3 to 4 uses out of each case.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Hey man I THINK YOUR CAPS LOCK IS STUCK :):

I'm following this thread with interest.

WELL THE BEST ADVICE YOU WILL EVER GET IS ALWAYS LOAD WHILE YOU ARE NOT DISTRACTED, DEPRESSED, OR UNDER STRESS. YOU WILL FIND SPECIALS AT ALL RELOADING SITES ON MATERIALS AND SOME ARE NOT REALLY BARGAINS. TAKE POWDER AND PRIMERS FOR EXAMPLE. THEY HAVE TO BE SHIPPED AS HAZARDOUS MATERIAL AND SO THE SHIPPING COST TAKES AWAY FROM THE SPECIAL PRICE. I BUY MY POWDER AND PRIMERS AT GUN SHOWS AND SOMEONE ELSE PAYS THE HAZARD FEES. AT THE COST FOR BULK AMMO TODAY, IT IS STILL CHEAPER TO BUY LOADED AMMO. I'M NOT TRYING TO DISCOURAGE YOUR DESIRES TO RELOAD AS DOWN THE ROAD IT MIGHT BE THE ONLY WAY TO FIND AMMO AFTER THE NEWLY ELECTED OFFICIALS TAKE OFFICE. GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER DIRECTION YOU TAKE AND ABOVE ALL DO YOUR LOADING BEFORE YOU ARE LOADED. ALWAYS USE A "NEW" LOADING MANUAL AND FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    My advice would be to buy a good Reloading Handbook and read it before you every buy any reloading equipment. Lyman puts out a nice edition. The more you get your head around ballistics the better. ALWAYS GO BY THE BOOK. 1/2 grain off on some powders can blow your gun apart.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I recommend Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, the guy who founded Lee Reloading Equipment. Very informative, tells what to do and why you do it.
    Suggest anyone who is just starting get a single stage or simple turret press. Progressives like the Dillon are great after you know what you are doing. They do take some caring for and looking after to keep them running properly.
    I have both. Use the Dillon 550B for volume. The single stage Lee is for the trial runs and smaller usage calibers. I shoot al lot more pistol ammo than 45-70. I'm just an advanced hobbyest but I would be glad to show you what it takes if you are in the area.

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    I too am going to get into reloading. A friend of mine has the Dillon 650. I'm leaning towards it or the 550. I've been saving all of my brass (and others) over the last year It would be neat if you all could share your experience.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I have a Dillon 550 and like it a lot. However, it, like all progressives, takes some care and effort to keep it running smoothly. Now that I have taken it appart a few times and know how it works, it is a lot easier to keep things running smoothly.
    My recommendation is for anyone new to reloading, start with a quality single stage press and a good powder measure. Get your loads developed and the process down pat before looking at a progressive. like Dillon or others. When you do step up to the progressive, you will still want the single stage for developing new loads or special short runs. The Dillon 550 is a great progressive. The 650 is only better if you want to keep it set up for a single load and need real volume in that load. Not my opinion, consult Brian Enos. Brian has a web site where he seels Dillon amoong other stuff. He compares the pros/cons of each model. Very helpful. If the website doesn't answer your question, call him. VERY NICE GUY.

Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers
    I have always been interested too. Sighting In With USA has a video out there that gives you a broad overview of the process for all three types of reloading. Obviously, the video is specific to one type of manufacturer (RCBS), but I found it very informative. Go here RCBS - Precisioneered Shooting Products - Videos and then click on the RCBS Loading Techniques.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I'll offer my help for anybody near Avon area. I have both progressive and single stage setup

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i'll have to second jimbo's statement. the progressives are great. fast for large lots, but not really practical for load development. i too recommend starting on a single stage press. pain in the ass? perhaps. but there are many details to learn in reloading and a single stage press will allow you to load at a pace that will promote learning. as you learn the process, you can "batch load". run all your brass through each step. size/deprime all your brass. then expand the case mouth. etc.

case length will be more critical for rifle than straight wall pistol. the lee kits are great starters, but you'll also need a case length gage and trimmer.

get a reloading manual first, better get a few. reloading is rewarding but be advised, you likely won't save much money reloading. you'll spend the same or more, but you will also shoot a bunch more.

feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Top Bottom