• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I see folks that indicate they don't want to sell ammo but instead insist on trading ( or other as well.) I can't figure out the logic behind not making an out right sale to get cash in hand and then look for the sought after item to purchase with cash. Just seems to me the trade only process limits the options. If I have what you want but don't want to trade you've effectively ruled me out as a possible source.

Anyone explain the logic of trade only ? Maybe I'm missing something.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    With a trade you can negotiate terms. Someone may throw in a few extra rounds if you have something they really want or that's hard to find.

With cash, you go to the store and pay what they want. Very little wiggle room.

Plus with a trade you do it all in one transaction. With a straight cash deal you still have to make a trip to the store or order online and wait.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I see folks that indicate they don't want to sell ammo but instead insist on trading ( or other as well.) I can't figure out the logic behind not making an out right sale to get cash in hand and then look for the sought after item to purchase with cash. Just seems to me the trade only process limits the options. If I have what you want but don't want to trade you've effectively ruled me out as a possible source.

Anyone explain the logic of trade only ? Maybe I'm missing something.

you obviously havent tried buying ammo lately have you? In some areas it's nearly impossible to find what you want unless it's overpriced. I don't blame them...

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Yep, that pretty much covers it. I can get it all done in one transaction, and I don't have to take the cash and go looking around for what I want. He has what I want, I have what he wants, done deal. And yes, there's always room to add or subtract ammo to make the deal fair.

If I can't find the trade deal I want, then I still have the ammo I can go have fun shooting with. If I do make a deal, then I have a new gun to play around with. Either way, I don't end up stuck with cash that I can neither run through a gun or use to fire ammo out of. :)

EDIT: this applies to pretty much anything I'm looking to trade. I just enjoy trading. Cash is boring.:)

With a trade you can negotiate terms. Someone may throw in a few extra rounds if you have something they really want or that's hard to find.

With cash, you go to the store and pay what they want. Very little wiggle room.

Plus with a trade you do it all in one transaction. With a straight cash deal you still have to make a trip to the store or order online and wait.

Last edited:

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    If I have .45 I want to trade for .22, I may just find someone in the opposite position-Why would I just sell for cash and not be able get what I want?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    OP, have you not seen the "gouger" threads on ammo prices in general and .22 prices in particular? Trading keeps the tawdry realm of coin in the background.

Last edited:

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    And yet, you have avoided defining your use of the term "gouger". What is the definition of the term?

For example, if someone offers .22 for sale, what makes them a "gouger"?

Suppose someone bought their ammo for 6 cents a round, and offers it for 7 cents a round, but it can't be bought at retail for less than 9 cents a round delivered (if you can even find it), is that gouging?

Same scenario, but they bought their ammo for 4 cents a round, and offers it for 7 cents a round, but it can't be bought at retail for less than 9 cents a round delivered (if you can even find it), is that gouging?

At what profit level do you determine it to be gouging?

Edit: Obviously, you have some feelings about it, or you wouldn't have posted.

Thanks for pointing that out. Edited post to reflect "gouger".

I have no feelings about other peoples prices.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Only used the term "gouger" to describe the many threads devoted to ammo prices.

I have no desire to engage in any pricing topics, as I see them as entertainment only.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Me too. For entertainment purposes, what do you think is a fair price per round for quality .22LR right now?

Only used the term "gouger" to describe the many threads devoted to ammo prices.

I have no desire to engage in any pricing topics, as I see them as entertainment only.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    When you sit down to sort your brass, make sure you put a pillow under your butt.

One or 5000? Have no idea. Hard to price.

To many "want to trade" ads to price accurately.

Was going to put Gander Mnt. price in here.

For the record, I have neither bought nor sold any .22s in years.

Heck man, you win. I have brass to sort.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Sigblaster, I apologize if I have offended you in any way. I'm going to edit my last post as it is snarky. Can't do anything about the quote though.

To the OP; to clarify what I meant. Everyone here has seen the butt hurt over .22 prices.

There was several threads and lots of "supply and demand" theorists.

Very simply, ads were being bashed to the point some ads were deleted due to infighting.

I know of at least one member who locked his own ad, stating ammo was still available until marked sold. This was to prevent the "bidding".

There was at least one member banned from the clasified over bashing.

Therefore Want to Trade ammo ads started appearing.

I don't have a dog in this race, but that's the best answer I have.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I used to wonder the same. Why not sell? But I've probably gotten more of the guns and accessories I've wanted through trading than I could have with cash. I've had wanted to buy ads for specific guns and ha no takers, then I later squired them in a trade. Go figure.
    also being willing to accept trades opens the door to more people buying your item. They might not have all of the cash but if tey have a gun you can easily sell before yours then trade and sell that gun and there's your cash.
    The ecconomy is hard right now. The items we want are out to be had but cash is short.

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    When you sit down to sort your brass, make sure you put a pillow under your butt.

Sigblaster averages 25 posts / year and he chooses to waste 1/5 of those trying to discourage the use of gouger.... I will define gouger... It's the douche bag guy that sits in line on delivery day or has a buddy tell him the next shipment is coming in. Then he comes on here or armslist to sell it to the dads, brothers, uncles of the youth that are learning to shoot. Who in turn have to pay about the cost of 9mm reloaded rounds to plink those 22. Now get a pillow for your ass

Top Bottom