Want to try 3 Gun - need some advice please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Yeah my A2 on my daniel defense was hard to get off..but i bought an upper a couple months ago and it came right off. You'll be amazed by how much the compensator helps you stay on target.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I think that even more important than any gear decisions is to shoot some pistol matches to see how the game is played.

This is good advice. USPSA experience translates VERY well into 3-gun. You will learn the basics of safely navigating a stage and a match. You will learn how to break down a stage and develop a plan to shoot it. And it is simpler, for the most part, because you only have to worry about one gun. I shot USPSA before I shot 3-gun and the experience was invaluable. I have gravitated away from USPSA and have only attended 3-gun matches for the last few years. My pistol shooting has suffered a bit because of that.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    This is good advice. USPSA experience translates VERY well into 3-gun. You will learn the basics of safely navigating a stage and a match. You will learn how to break down a stage and develop a plan to shoot it. And it is simpler, for the most part, because you only have to worry about one gun. I shot USPSA before I shot 3-gun and the experience was invaluable. I have gravitated away from USPSA and have only attended 3-gun matches for the last few years. My pistol shooting has suffered a bit because of that.

I prefer to just walk it really quick to check out targets/how many, but not to break it down or plan. I feel like if I want any of the shooting skill to translate to the real world (god forbid) I want some small sense of surprise or an "unknown". Then again, I'm not planning on being a national 3gun champ or anything. Just do it for fun/training.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I always walk the stage and plan it out, but the majority of time i usually see something that somebody does that i like and go with that. Either that or do something completely different when i get to the stage than i originally planned. Sometimes it works and then other times it goes terribly wrong. haha

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Welp, I pulled the trigger on a Stag 3G today! :rockwoot: I was at Hillside Shooting in Roanoke yesterday talking with Mike and Randy, thinking about buying a stock carbine and having them do a little work on it. Well, Mike found a Gunbroker listing from a dealer in Nebraska with a price that was hard to beat (he tried and couldn't find anywhere to get one through him), so I'm in for about $1320 plus transfer fee and I'll have a 3Gun ready rifle here in no time. Big +1 to Randy and Mike at Hillside for taking time to talk with me, and I'll definitely be back there soon!

Thanks for all the advice y'all, hope to meet some of you guys this spring!

Congrats on the purchase! I may be a bit biased but the 3G is the best bang for the buck out there. I don't think you can build the gun yourself for that money. Holler if you ever age any questions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom