• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubstuff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Indiana
    Looking for a .17HMR. Looking mainly at the Savage Model 93R17 BTVS with the Heavy Stainless Barrel. Anyone have any opinions of this, or have another suggestion?

Thanks.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Savage fv-sr in .22 oughta be plenty. I suppose I only recommend it cus thats what I run, but what is your purpose? Distance youll.be shooting?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Savage 93R17 has a great reputation and would make a nice choice for a rifle in .17HMR. Also up there is the Ruger 77/17.

Personally I have the basic Ruger 77/17 and it is so accurate it is boring. Even at my not young anymore abilities, I have no problem shooting a ragged hole at 50 yards using a forearm rest. It is so good I can shoot that famous smiling face with it. From what I have heard, the Savage is just as good so it comes down to what you like and if you can find one at a reasonable price, or for what you are willing to spend. .

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    The round is so good it's hard to find a "bad" gun that shoots it. I have the Marlin 917vs with the stainless bull barrel and laminate hardwood stock. It's a beautiful gun and the most accurate gun I have ever owned. I know that is just the round rather than the gun but the point is, you should be fine with whatever decent gun strikes your fancy.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The round is so good it's hard to find a "bad" gun that shoots it. .............................. I know that is just the round rather than the gun but the point is, you should be fine with whatever decent gun strikes your fancy.

This has been exactly my experience. I've had seven different brands/types of .17 HMR and every one of them was crazy accurate. Well, OK. That Savage M30 wasn't all that great but it had a 9 lb trigger on a 4 lb gun. My favorites have been CZ 452 and a converted 10/22M but a Marlin or Savage bolt gun will do just as well. Be guided by your budget but don't go cheap on the scope.

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    That's an outstanding gun and fun round to shoot. I have that gun and also the 93R17BVSS. Both are well made and Very accurate.

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    I've had 17 cal Savage BTVS you describe, the CZ 452 mannlicher, and Ruger 77/17 with traditional walnut stock. They have all been excellent firearms. With that said, the Ruger 77/17 topped with Leupold 3x9 is the one I chose to keep. Although they all drive tacts, I prefer the overall size, feel, and handling of the Ruger. It's sleek, well balanced, and a joy to shoot.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive currently got a Mark II FV-SR and had a model 93FV Both shoot lights out. You cant go wrong with the Savage. Awesome out of the box accuracy so buy with confidence!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There goes my happy day...you are all reminding me about the CZ 452 I haven't had time to take out and likely won't any time too soon. Oh well, one of these days...

handkaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    I had the Savage 93R17 and miss it so much, just a great amazing gun and looked sweet with the stainless barrel and thumbhole stock.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Savage BTVSS - Just a joy to shoot and exceptional accuracy. It would be a hard decision to ever sell it.

btvs02.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looking for a .17HMR. Looking mainly at the Savage Model 93R17 BTVS with the Heavy Stainless Barrel. Anyone have any opinions of this, or have another suggestion?

Thanks.

I had one for a long time. It was accurate, functioned flawlessly and had many varmints to its credit with several Yotes.
    I just did not use it anymore.
    Get one, you will like it. Do not let any one tell you a .22 is better.....it is not.

HIghDefDad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    Lowell
    I own the ruger 77/17 in gray laminate stock and love the way it shoots and feels. My wife also liked it as soon as she shot it. She said it shot just like the 10/22(minus the semi auto).It takes rugers typical rotary magazine and comes with rugers scopes rings(if new). My version however does not have iron sights,required the installation of a scope. My buddy has the marlin version of the .17 and I'm not a big fan. The fit and feel felt a little cheap. The magazine was the typical single stack metal mag(not bad,very easy to load). The bolt operation,in my opinion, felt a little cheap. There is a bit of price difference between the two I believe. Both his marlin and my ruger both shoot accurately. One thing we have discovered with the .17hmr, it won't set off tannerite:) hope this helps you out.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Another cz fan. Im very happy with my cz. Its a 452 trainer which is the cheapest one but it shoots well. I had the 22 version of the savage in the pics and I bought a cz 452 trainer in 22lr the same day. The savage to my suprise didnt shoot any better than the cz and the cz didnt have a free float heavy barrel. The cz shot cheap bulk ammo way better so I sold the savage. The savage was a pretty gun but it was fat, heavy and the action felt cheap compared to the cz. Ti like the cz's better but they are both good guns

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    CZ. Got a 453 and 452. 453 has a better out of the box trigger. I yo-daved the 452 trigger and it is much improved. Tons of info on Rimfire Central and 17hmr. Big CZ crowd over there.

Top Bottom