• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    The Smith 5906 is one of the best semiauto pistols they ever made. I have handled and shot one. Excellent gun and you can get used ones for very good prices.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The Smith 5906 is one of the best semiauto pistols they ever made. I have handled and shot one. Excellent gun and you can get used ones for very good prices.

I would strongly disagree with this statement and really have never heard anyone make that claim before (at least not with a straight face). I sold all my S&W autos. The ergonomics are horrid, the triggers are marginal at best, the safety is in an awkward position and is difficult to use without shifting your grip to manipulate it.

Perhaps the reason they can be had used for "very good prices" is because they are NOT one of the best semiauto pistols. JMO

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    It has already been said many times in this thread but... CZ.

I love my CZ 75 D Compact (basically the P-01). Very glad I bought it. Will pass it along to my boy once he grows.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'll agree with everyone backing the CZ-75. I've got an EAA version, but the ergonomics fit me great, shoots much better than I can, handles the recoil well, and fit and finish are superb, will last a lifetime and then some.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    "But in pure answer of your question the 5906 has many good points and would give you and your family many lifetimes of service"

+1 on this. If you really want an all steel pistol.

I would even consider models with the alloy frames. These will last generations. It really depends on how much you want to spend on something to pass down. If it is something you want to hand off in years to come, my opinion would be to look for something unique about the gun that makes it worth keeping around.

I purchased S&W 5904 which was from a very rare manufacture run in 2010 that will serve the purpose that you are talking about. It's a great home defense gun that will probably sit in the nightstand safe for 20 - 30 years before I pass it on. It's also an excellent shooter and is unique enough to have some value beyond an average production model.

I also have a S&W 3914TSW that will serve the same thing. It is one of my carry guns so it may be a little worn after a couple decades but again, it was a rare manufacture run so will have an intrinsic value to pass on. The cost of new or LNIB non-production run of Smith & Wesson 3rd generation models can range from $600 to $1500.

But like some classic designs such as the 1911, Browning HP, Beretta 92FS and Walther PPK, they seem "overbuilt" with high quality which translates to "will last a loooong time".

2-3.jpg

3914tsw-r1-1.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll add another vote for the CZ 75 format. An AR24 is a CZ style gun that has a fully forged frame, slide and barrel. Hi Powers are great, but more expensive.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It has already been said many times in this thread but... CZ.

I love my CZ 75 D Compact (basically the P-01). Very glad I bought it. Will pass it along to my boy once he grows.

+1 on a CZ 75 compact. Love my P-01
    Just to clarify, the OP is looking for an ALL STEEL gun. The CZ 75 models come in steel and in aluminum frames. The C75 B and the CZ 75 C models are STEEL framed guns while the D and the P01 are both ALUMINUM framed guns.

I have some of each of the above guns, all are fantastic guns, other than being slightly heavier there is little difference in the handling. Both the "D" and the "P01" feature decocking levers while the "B" and the "C" are traditional safety models for 'cocked & locked' carry.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    IMHO, if I was set on a 9mm, I would probably go with a Browning HP. Others have mentioned the CZ, I have no practical experience with it. I have had a couple of Smith 9mms, and was not impressed with them.

The fun of getting a pistol is in the "shopping." Good luck and choose wisely.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Another vote for the CZ 75. It's the best bang for your buck in a steel/alloy framed pistols.

Another option would be the Baby Eagle. I have a couple and now that Kahr has purchased MRI they are bringing them back again.

Top Bottom