• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I just finished my build, thanks to Christmas, I want the headspace checked. Is there anyone in INGO that's local to Lafayette area the has the gauges and knowledge to do it/ help me.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What barrel is it? I've never checked headspace on any of my builds but I've used known quality barrels. Even if it fails go/no-go then there's really nothing you can do about other than buy another barrel. You'd have to replace to barrel extension and time it to tdc which most don't know how to do.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Not a necessary thing to do on an AR build. It's nothing you can change if it was off anyway. It will be fine if all your parts are commercially made.

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    It's a faxon barrel. AIM BCG. I know its nothing I can change but for peace of mind,I know I'm not Fabio bit I like my face how it is.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    To date I've built a total of 7 AR's, in .223/5.56 and 7.62x39.
    Never checked headspace on any of them. Never had an issue with any either.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just finished my build, thanks to Christmas, I want the headspace checked. Is there anyone in INGO that's local to Lafayette area the has the gauges and knowledge to do it/ help me.

You might try calling Dan, at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette. He's the general manager and gunsmith.
    Not sure if he has go/no-go gauges or not. but if you're that worried about it...

I'm in Lafayette. I don't have any gauges, but I'd be happy to be the first one to pull the trigger on your new build, after a cursory inspection of course. I even have access to a 50 yard private outdoor range for testing purposes,

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    It's a faxon barrel. AIM BCG. I know its nothing I can change but for peace of mind,I know I'm not Fabio bit I like my face how it is.

If you're REEEEEALLY worried about it get some heavy (welding?) gloves, a leather jacket, ears and eyes and place a substantial tree between Fabio and the receiver. Crank off as many rounds/magazines as you need to feel safe. :D

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Nobody lives forever.

And, if it goes wrong, your INGO fame will increase immeasurably. You'll be epic! What's the worst that could happen? Give it a shot. :)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you a're "building" rifles, hadn't you better order a set of gauges yourself?

(Don't forget to take the ejector out.)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Everybody is overly worried about headspace. It is perfectly safe to fire 308 out of a 30.06 chambered rifle for pete's sake. The shoulder disappears, but it is safe to fire.

Why would the rifle blow up if headspace is off? The case expands to seal the chamber. Nothing magical there.

Old mil-surp Mausers with mis-matched bolts are a great example. You fire a factory round. If the headspace is excessive, the shoulder is blown forward. Nothing more. When you reload that case, you carefully re-size so as to not set-back the shoulder more than a couple of thousands. Naturally the ammo is only for that rifle, but so what?

Fire a round out of your new AR. Check the fired case In a Wilson case gage. If it is below, or even with, the mark, you are GTG. I wouldn't waste a lot of time checking with headspace gages.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Everybody is overly worried about headspace. It is perfectly safe to fire 308 out of a 30.06 chambered rifle for pete's sake. The shoulder disappears, but it is safe to fire.

Why would the rifle blow up if headspace is off? The case expands to seal the chamber. Nothing magical there.

Old mil-surp Mausers with mis-matched bolts are a great example. You fire a factory round. If the headspace is excessive, the shoulder is blown forward. Nothing more. When you reload that case, you carefully re-size so as to not set-back the shoulder more than a couple of thousands. Naturally the ammo is only for that rifle, but so what?

Fire a round out of your new AR. Check the fired case In a Wilson case gage. If it is below, or even with, the mark, you are GTG. I wouldn't waste a lot of time checking with headspace gages.

So, can you tell us what happens if headspace is too small?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    The bolt won't close. The gun won't fire.

Well in extreme cases I agree. I'm talking about having enough headspace to close the bolt, yet less than is specified. Sloughfoot you seem to be saying that headspace is nothing to ever be concerned about, my point is that serious issues can result from too little headpsace.

Sorry my sarcasm was not clear.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Well in extreme cases I agree. I'm talking about having enough headspace to close the bolt, yet less than is specified. Sloughfoot you seem to be saying that headspace is nothing to ever be concerned about, my point is that serious issues can result from too little headpsace.

Sorry my sarcasm was not clear.

What issues?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    What issues?

Im referring to a situation where too little headspace causes the neck of the casing to be forced into the throat exaggerating the crimp on the bullet. The bullet then starts to behave more like an obstruction than a projectile. COL obviously can play a part in this as well, but there is a generally accepted minimum amount of desired headspace for this reason.

Top Bottom