• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silent 50 cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    i own a aow 20 gauge and yes you can own them in indiana ithaca mod 37 what you cant do is put a stock on it as that makes it a short barreled shot gun, but as a thought check out the registrey and you will find a lot of short barreled shot guns registered in indiana as all law and consverstation offercers have them ..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i own a aow 20 gauge and yes you can own them in indiana ithaca mod 37 what you cant do is put a stock on it as that makes it a short barreled shot gun, but as a thought check out the registrey and you will find a lot of short barreled shot guns registered in indiana as all law and consverstation offercers have them ..

An AOW is not an SBS. SBS ownership is illegal in Indiana with the exception of law enforcement (or a dealer), but the OP didn't mention whether he was a LEO or not, so we have to assume "not". It sounds like you already understand this, but your post is confusing, especially for people who are unfamiliar with the world of NFA.

IC 35-47-5-4.1
    Sawed-off shotgun
    Sec. 4.1. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    any sawed-off shotgun commits dealing in a sawed-off shotgun, a Class D felony.
    (b) The presence of a weapon referred to in subsection (a) in a motor vehicle (as defined under IC 9-13-2-105(a)) except for school buses and a vehicle operated in the transportation of passengers by a common carrier (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-4) creates an inference that the weapon is in the possession of the persons occupying the motor vehicle. However, the inference does not apply to all the persons occupying the motor vehicle if the weapon is found upon, or under the control of, one (1) of the occupants. In addition, the inference does not apply to a duly licensed driver of a motor vehicle for hire who finds the weapon in the licensed driver's motor vehicle in the proper pursuit of the licensed driver's trade.
    (c) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells a sawed-off shotgun to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.1-1990, SEC.351. Amended by P.L.2-1991, SEC.107.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    All I am attempting to figure out is if the "mater key" setup from Red Jacket firearms would be LEGAL for me to own in Indiana. I am not sure if the undermount shotgun is considered a SBS or a AOW. Also by mounting it under the AR does that make it a SBS.

Who can I contact to get some advice on the legalities.

INGunGuy

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    All I am attempting to figure out is if the "mater key" setup from Red Jacket firearms would be LEGAL for me to own in Indiana. I am not sure if the undermount shotgun is considered a SBS or a AOW. Also by mounting it under the AR does that make it a SBS.

Who can I contact to get some advice on the legalities.

INGunGuy

Mounting it under the AR is going to make it "intended to be fired from the shoulder" and a "shotgun" for Indiana law purposes.

IC 35-47-1-11
    "Shotgun"
    Sec. 11. "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Since it would have a barrel shorter than 18 inches, it would still fall in the sub 1 definition of "sawed-off shotgun".

IC 35-47-1-10
    "Sawed-off shotgun"
    Sec. 10. "Sawed-off shotgun" means:
    (1) a shotgun having one (1) or more barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length; and
    (2) any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

As scutter pointed out in his code cite, possession of such an item is a felony.

As such, I can't see this being a good idea in Indiana.

The BATFE's determinations of what constitutes what under federal law has nothing to do with Indiana law. This setup may or may not be legal for federal purposes but that does nothing to make it legal in Indiana.

Best,

Joe

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    Anyone have any advice since a .410 gauge is NOT technically a shotgun.

INGunGuy

I am not questioning your knowledge (I have never even owned a .410) but I am very curious as to where you received this information. I was always under the assumption that a shotgun was defined as a smoothbore shoulderfired weapon whos projectile was encapsulated in a fixed capsule, regardless of bore diameter.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yea that seems be what I am reading. OK, well how about a undermount .410 short shotgun?

Anyone have any advice since a .410 gauge is NOT technically a shotgun.

INGunGuy
    I think it would have to be a rifled barrel .410 or a .45 LC with a long chamber to get away from the shotgun definition. Then, it would be an SBR.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I am not questioning your knowledge (I have never even owned a .410) but I am very curious as to where you received this information. I was always under the assumption that a shotgun was defined as a smoothbore shoulderfired weapon whos projectile was encapsulated in a fixed capsule, regardless of bore diameter.

Are you saying my Taurus Judge is a short barreled shotgun? I think not. now to be completely honest I was thinking the info that I got at the gun shop about a .410 being a caliber and not a gauge as not defined as a shotgun was a little hokey... So maybe I am just barking up the wrong tree.... So I can own a Super Shorty, just cant mount it under my AR.

INGunGuy

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    How so?

Best,

Joe
    If it is attached to a rifle with a stock and the barrel is less than 16" and is rifled, then it would be an SBR.

Are you saying my Taurus Judge is a short barreled shotgun? I think not. now to be completely honest I was thinking the info that I got at the gun shop about a .410 being a caliber and not a gauge as not defined as a shotgun was a little hokey... So maybe I am just barking up the wrong tree.... So I can own a Super Shorty, just cant mount it under my AR.

INGunGuy
    Your Taurus judge is rifled, making it a normal handgun. The fact that it can also fire shotshells is irrelevant.

From wikipedia
    Though Taurus deliberately designed The Judge to fire shotshells, The Judge does not qualify as a "short-barreled shotgun" under the National Firearms Act of 1934 as its rifled barrel makes it a regular handgun.[2] The rifling is more shallow than normal, giving single-projectile loads less stabilization than they would receive in other handguns, but reducing the rapid dispersion of the shot from shotshells.[2] Taurus developed the shallow rifling after numerous experiments to find rifling that worked well with both types of ammunition.[3]

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    If it is attached to a rifle with a stock and the barrel is less than 16" and is rifled, then it would be an SBR.

Your Taurus judge is rifled, making it a normal handgun. The fact that it can also fire shotshells is irrelevant.

From wikipedia

So then to understand this correctly, I would turn my Taurus Judge 6 1/2 inch barrel handgun into a SBS by mounting it under my AR15, or a SBR same scenario?

INGunGuy

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No. If you have a legal configuration for each receiver then you are GTG. However if you have a bare charger receiver and barrel with a shoulder stock laying aroud, then the water starts to get murky.

Top Bottom