wanting to dye wood ecto green....lol ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Im currently taking a week off from life and enjoying fall break with my boy and we have decieded to dye the wood on my krinkov AK pistol. He would like to see an Ecto green or maybe a purple / blue shade. The wood its a standard light wood commonly found on Yugoslavian /Serbian made AK's. Im just wondering what i might use for a dye be it natural or synthetic. Blueberries came to mind for the purple blue color but the ecto green is choice #1. Would love to hear from someon whos tried thinking out of the box... pros / cons and recommendations would help thanks

Adee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    If you are looking for something colorfast (the color will not change over time), your best choice is acrylic paint. Hobby Lobby sells the artist type paint tubes in lots of colors. Spread the paint with a wet sponge on the bare wood. Let it dry and sand lightly. Finish with flat or satin lacquer. You can cut the shine back with #0000 steel wool (the woodworker's type, not the one from the hardware store, which has too much oil).

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    How are you guys dyeing the wood? Wiping it down like you would stain? Are you watering down the dye? I have a baby blue 10-22 to build for my daughter and a purple one to do for my son. I would rather not paint. I like the wood grain look. I have till X-mas to figure this out.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Pickling.

What you are wanting to do is called pickling the wood. This is a process used all the time in furniture making. I use it when my customer wants an extremely light ie; white finish on the piece. I use oil base stains or paints diluted with mineral spirits for the pickling process as they are more durable than the water base types. I would start by using a small (pint) of oil based green paint and dilute it with the mineral spirits. Rub on a coat with a small rag or foam brush and let it stand for about five minutes or so being sure to wipe it off before it drys. repeat as necessary to achieve the color you desire waiting a couple of hours between coats to allow the previous one to dry. When you have your color finish with satin or gloss clear coats following manufacturer's direction to achieve the final finish. :twocents:

PS: I always test on one or two pieces of scrap wood of the same species to make sure I am getting the results I want before doing the finished piece! :)

This is a silverware box I did in white pickled oak.

Put it on wet and let it sit 3 to 5 minutes.

JASilverwarebox035_zps568d566f.jpg

Wipe it off with a soft cloth,old t-shirts are great.

JASilverwarebox050_zps87c0e851.jpg

And finish with a clear coat of your choice (I like Minwax wipe on urethanes).

JASilverwarebox051_zpsbbd62d94.jpg

JASilverwarebox055_zps70d592ef.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom