Wanting to get a smoker soon, need advice...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Mark-DuCo said:
    Just curious, why is it so terrible that some people choose an easier way to do things? I understand you obviously like your charcoal, but why can't others like electric or propane? They all so the same thing.

I'm just blowing smoke, so to speak. :joke: A little good natured ribbing between guys.

I strongly considered an electric smoker, but went with the drum smoker for cost reasons. I love it, but I'm sure you can make delicious food on an electric or propane smoker with less fuss. Alton Brown made several cool smokers with electric heating elements.

Once you get the hang of it, well-built vertical charcoal smokers aren't tough to run. Once you get the temps stabilized it'll run for many hours without adjustment. Fancy wireless thermometers will alert you if it needs any work. My wife enjoys the flavor of charcoal cooked items compared to propane, I'm not sure that I can tell much difference personally.

A simple vertical charcoal smoker is also pretty much maintenance-free. I read a lot of reviews of electric smokers where the heating elements would fail, and the design didn't let you replace it easily. Not to mention the other electronics involved.

There is certainly some value to the set-it-and-forget-it aspect, though. Many folks value that more, and that's perfectly legitimate too.

I may add an electric smoker to my aresenal someday.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Main reason I got the electric smoker, it was a gift. I've found it's perfect for when I am up on Lake Wawasee, I can put food in the smoker in the morning and go play on the lake all day and when we get back from the sandbar hungry, the ribs are ready to go. I usually baste them in BBQ sauce for the last 1-2 hours.

It may not be for the purist smoker cook, but it works well and there's never any leftovers (just a bunch of old guys holding overfull guts).

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    We are on the road roughly 300 days a year. We carry a Traeger wood pellet smoker with us on the road. It has been great for brisket, ribs, chicken, burgers steak and bacon.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Quick question for all you smokers that use wood... What kind of wood do you use, or is you favorite? Pecan? Hickory? Maple? And where do you purchase or get it from, and how much? I just got a grill that has a firebox off the side for smoking and want to give it a try. Anything specific I should look at/pay attention to in the type of wood used for smoking?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I too have been looking at an entry smoker. I seem to have settled on the weber smokey mountain. I was wondering if anyonehad any input on the size. I never good large amounts of food. Maybe 2 racks of tribs or a brisket, pork shoulder, or something similar. I'm thinking the 14.5" sounds sufficient. Once a year I grill a turkey for thanksgiving and wouldn't mind smoking one. I've read a 14-15 lb turkey will fit on a 14.5". Ideally I would just buy the 18.5 but we are talking $100 price jump at a time when money is somewhat tight. My parents gave us $200 to buy what we want as our wedding gift from them and we really want a smoker. Any opinions would be appreciated...

...thread jack over

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Quick question for all you smokers that use wood... What kind of wood do you use, or is you favorite? Pecan? Hickory? Maple? And where do you purchase or get it from, and how much? I just got a grill that has a firebox off the side for smoking and want to give it a try. Anything specific I should look at/pay attention to in the type of wood used for smoking?

It's personal preference but any hardwood will do, DON'T use any softwoods (evergreens, pine, etc). The fruit woods are good for light meats, poultry and fish. The hickory, oak and mesquites are great for hardy items (Steak, brisket, ribs, potatoes)

My cheapo Meco has lasted me over 15 years and it's still runs. New thermostats, elements are cheap and easy to replace. I've replaced my thermostat controller once due to leaving it outside one winter and stepping on it.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    They're still working their second jobs trying to pay those things off, they'll be along shortly. :laugh:

Nope, we all saw the budget in the OP. $300 will barely cover the cost of the egg-cessories. Nothing wrong with entry level smokers. Hopefully OP starts with any of the other smokers suggested and decides it's a hobby he enjoys. Later, he'll justify the cost of a ceramic cooker.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

In our limited smoking experience we use lump charcoal for the heat source and chunks of various fruit trees for the smoke and flavor. We bought some hickory and mesquite recently and are chomping at the bit to try those. Hopefully we'll have time in the next few weeks.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I too have been looking at an entry smoker. I seem to have settled on the weber smokey mountain. I was wondering if anyonehad any input on the size. I never good large amounts of food. Maybe 2 racks of tribs or a brisket, pork shoulder, or something similar. I'm thinking the 14.5" sounds sufficient. Once a year I grill a turkey for thanksgiving and wouldn't mind smoking one. I've read a 14-15 lb turkey will fit on a 14.5". Ideally I would just buy the 18.5 but we are talking $100 price jump at a time when money is somewhat tight. My parents gave us $200 to buy what we want as our wedding gift from them and we really want a smoker. Any opinions would be appreciated...

...thread jack over

Might consider a UDS, see post #5 and 8 above.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

...thread jack over

A UDS, functionally, is essentially a home built 22" WSM with better air flow control. In my opinion the 18 1/2" is too small and the 14 1/2" is nearly worthless. The UDS can be built for $100 if you shop around a little and out performs the $400 22 1/2" WSM's.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

My family thoroughly enjoys apple chunks for smoking pork and chicken. Cheap at walmart.

...thread jack over

I think if I had bought a 14.5" or 18.5" WSM I would be regretting not getting something bigger. And I don't have huge parties or anything.

A UDS, functionally, is essentially a home built 22" WSM with better air flow control. In my opinion the 18 1/2" is too small and the 14 1/2" is nearly worthless. The UDS can be built for $100 if you shop around a little and out performs the $400 22 1/2" WSM's.

This.

You might check craigslist, some folks locally sell the UDS all put together. There's a guy around here that charges $250 I believe, which I think is steep but still cheaper than a 22.5" WSM.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

I personally am a big fan of apple, mulberry, and sugar maple for lighter smoke. I like hickory (bitternut is what I'm using at present but all hickories/pecan's have been good) for if I'm wanting a stronger smoke. I'll often blend wood types as well. The last ribs I did were a mulberry/hickory blend and they came out more than alright! Oak gives a good middle of the road smoke although I haven't found it to be particularly distinctive.

Play around with different hardwoods and see what you like. Some, like hackberry, have almost no flavor while others like black walnut can get overpowering in a hurry. IIRC, avoid locust and sassafras as they can give off toxins. Some say the same of bois de arc/hedge but others swear by it. I've tossed a bit in and never had a problem but YMMV.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Made a craigslist score today. Can't wait to put it to use.

Screenshot_2014-04-17-13-24-32-1_zps71b76d8f.png

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom