• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Looking for advice on how to learn how to reload 9mm. Some of you might ask why with ammo prices being at an all time low pricing and my answer is I know I would enjoy it plus I believe you should have a better understanding of what you are shooting.
    Is there classes that one could go to learn reloading or is there a manual or book for beginners. Also would appreciate input on which reloading press is the best for loading 9mm. Looking forward to your input!
    Being old (before computers) I learned by reading the front of a reloading manual and following the written instructions that come with dies, etc. I didn't take any lessons. That being said, most people seem to do better with videos for learning nowadays and hands on classes might be very good. The only thing I'll say about equipment is to get as good as you can afford and get equipment that makes things easier, not harder. It is a real drag to buy equipment that comes out of adjustment easily or , even worse, breaks. If I were starting today, I'd have a good reloading manual and have a DVD, so I could easily review certain sections over and over. Maybe something like these: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/419382/sierra-video-introduction-to-handgun-reloading-dvd https://www.midwayusa.com/product/415173/sierra-video-introduction-to-rifle-reloading-dvd

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    9mm is one of the rounds I haven't found to be worth the cost to reload at the moment. I am saving the brass though. But I won't talk anyone out out of reloading. I reload everything else. I love reloading.

I have been reloading for about 6 years at friends/relatives. I started reloading here at home a could years ago. Having a mentor to help you would be a great ideal. As mention above, Youtube is your friend for learning. But watch a lot of videos. I have seen a lot of guys short cut and assume things in there techniques. NOT A GOOD THING!! I can stress that enough. Being a little OCD seems to be a good thing when being a reloader. ;)

A Lymans manual will get you loading on your own if you follow it religiously. I have many reloading manuals I reference. You can't have to many as far as I am concerned. There are so many powders. And not all are listed in one book. For one thing I noticed My Lee book shows more powders then my Lymans. But the Lyman shows a wider range of charges. So I go between books. I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets and the weights are not standard in the other books. More books = more better info :-)

I reload on a single stage. Great to learn on. But if you shoot a lot the Turret or Progressives are probably a better deal. But pay attention to your setup. you can easily load hundreds of useless rounds. Measure and recheck your first few loads and check a few periodically as you go.

I don't plink much so low volume doesn't kill me. My hand loads beat all the out of the box loads I have ever tried. But then I am really OCD with my reloading. I weigh every single round after I am finished. I would drive the average reloader to drink if they reloaded with me. I assume nothing! But that's just me.

Be safe, get a lot of info. And if you can snag someone closer to you to help you get setup and going, please do! I have spend a lot of time with friends in person and on the ph helping with setups and measurements,. Most of us reloaders will do this with the new guys. Please ask for help if you have any questions.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    9mm is one of the rounds I haven't found to be worth the cost to reload at the moment. I am saving the brass though. But I won't talk anyone out out of reloading. I reload everything else. I love reloading.

I have been reloading for about 6 years at friends/relatives. I started reloading here at home a could years ago. Having a mentor to help you would be a great ideal. As mention above, Youtube is your friend for learning. But watch a lot of videos. I have seen a lot of guys short cut and assume things in there techniques. NOT A GOOD THING!! I can stress that enough. Being a little OCD seems to be a good thing when being a reloader. ;)

A Lymans manual will get you loading on your own if you follow it religiously. I have many reloading manuals I reference. You can't have to many as far as I am concerned. There are so many powders. And not all are listed in one book. For one thing I noticed My Lee book shows more powders then my Lymans. But the Lyman shows a wider range of charges. So I go between books. I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets and the weights are not standard in the other books. More books = more better info :-)

I reload on a single stage. Great to learn on. But if you shoot a lot the Turret or Progressives are probably a better deal. But pay attention to your setup. you can easily load hundreds of useless rounds. Measure and recheck your first few loads and check a few periodically as you go.

I don't plink much so low volume doesn't kill me. My hand loads beat all the out of the box loads I have ever tried. But then I am really OCD with my reloading. I weigh every single round after I am finished. I would drive the average reloader to drink if they reloaded with me. I assume nothing! But that's just me.

Be safe, get a lot of info. And if you can snag someone closer to you to help you get setup and going, please do! I have spend a lot of time with friends in person and on the ph helping with setups and measurements,. Most of us reloaders will do this with the new guys. Please ask for help if you have any questions.
    Great advice. Regarding the useless ammo/ questionable ammo, get a bullet puller, you'll need it! This is the one I have. It looks fragile, but is anything but! https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9412-Po...1502198610&sr=8-2&keywords=rcbs+bullet+puller

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If you lived closer, I would give you a few lessons and help you get started.

I use Lee products and have a long time. Best for the money in my opinion and they last a long time.

Get yourself a good Manual and scale and you will be well on your way.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you lived closer, I would give you a few lessons and help you get started.

I use Lee products and have a long time. Best for the money in my opinion and they last a long time.

Get yourself a good Manual and scale and you will be well on your way.

Hey Gary, hope you're feelling better buddy! 95% of my Dies are Lee. My press is a single stage Lee Challenger Breach Lock. It's served well and wasn't expensive. It fit the budget at the time.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've taught a couple of handloading classes at Poseidon ( Navy SEALs simulation Shooting Academy: NE Indy Poseidon Experience ) using Powerpoint along with all of the equipment. Each "course" is about 2 hours long:
    Introduction
    Basic Pistol (single stage)
    Intermediate Pistol (progressive/turret)
    Basic Rifle

After loading ammo, go to the range & test with Labradar ( LabRadar - My Personal Radar )

Instruction is, of course, free. I've always enjoyed teaching, so this is just fun for me to do. Just leave me a message; glad to help any way I can.

Top Bottom