• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So I have decided I want to start shooting some USPSA matches this year. I've got the guns and mags to be able to shoot Single Stack and Limited 10. I need to get a belt, holsters, and mag pouches. I found Blade Tech holsters for my 1911 and my CZ 97B. Will those holsters be ok for me? How many mag pouches should I purchase to be able to shoot both Single Stack and Limited 10? I was looking at the CR Speed Versa Magazine Pouches. Looks like they should hold my CZ 97B mags and with a adapter I can also make them fit 1911 mags. Any tips where to get a good deal on all the stuff I need would be a big help. And I'm not against buying used stuff if any of you guys have stuff for sale.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Bladtechs are good. You will need 5 mag pouches for single stack and 4 for L10. For single stack, you won't be able to run a "drop & offset" holster. But you can in L10, if that matters to you.

Many folks run CR versa pouches for their versatility and simplicity. I've been using them for 2 years. I recently bought some Ghost mag pouches to try out.

Ben Stoegers Pro Shop has a good deal on CR Speed belt and holsters right now + free shipping. (Order the belt one or two sizes bigger then your pant size)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The blade tech is fine and priced right. I use my regular carry holster. I use 4 mag pouches for single stack and use 6 magazines.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Bladtechs are good. You will need 5 mag pouches for single stack and 4 for L10. For single stack, you won't be able to run a "drop & offset" holster. But you can in L10, if that matters to you.

Many folks run CR versa pouches for their versatility and simplicity. I've been using them for 2 years. I recently bought some Ghost mag pouches to try out.

Ben Stoegers Pro Shop has a good deal on CR Speed belt and holsters right now + free shipping. (Order the belt one or two sizes bigger then your pant size)

Thanks for the info. I got on Ben Stoegers website last night and they had some good deals going on.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I am shooting my first match at the end of this month. I too went with CR Speed belt, mags, and a BT DOH holster. They've all worked out great, if you think you'll like the ghost mag pouches go for it as they are cheaper than the Versas.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    just check thsoe BT DOH holsters... most aren't legal (hold the gun more than 2" from the inside of the inner belt). you'll either need shims/washers on the lower screws to angle the gun bucket part from the bracket part or you'll need to get out the heat gun / lighter to bend it a bit.

of course, the doh isn't legal for SS, which I think is what the OP was asking about....

CR mag pouches are solid gear, used them for years in several divisions. It was nice when I switched my production rig from beretta to glock to not have to buy new pouches, just change inserts....

-rvb

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    just check thsoe BT DOH holsters... most aren't legal (hold the gun more than 2" from the inside of the inner belt). you'll either need shims/washers on the lower screws to angle the gun bucket part from the bracket part or you'll need to get out the heat gun / lighter to bend it a bit.

of course, the doh isn't legal for SS, which I think is what the OP was asking about....

CR mag pouches are solid gear, used them for years in several divisions. It was nice when I switched my production rig from beretta to glock to not have to buy new pouches, just change inserts....

-rvb

This off season I have tested too many holsters. Quickly making my way back to the Bladetech DOH. The DOH is canted, so I torched it until I could bend it to sit vertically. All is well and legal now, but I wish Bladetech would consult with me and I could actually use my engineering degree. All they need to do is create a DOH that you don't jam your thumb everytime!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Guys, I'm still looking for a setup for my CZ. What's the purpose of the speed belt? Also what are vera and ghost mag pouches and how are they different?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I wish Bladetech would consult with me and I could actually use my engineering degree. All they need to do is create a DOH that you don't jam your thumb everytime!

they had that solution before they went all hipster modular. When I got my glock holster I ended up using my belt mount from my old beretta one, circa 2005. When that finally broken I went with the ready tactical. The modularity adds a ton of thickness on the belt mount. You can see their old design here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-ready-tactical-holster-uspsa-production.html

I emailed BT a couple times telling them they needed to fix their competition-marketed DOH to be legal w/ a two-layer belt such as CR or DAA, or stop advertising it as uspsa legal... never a response.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What's the purpose of the speed belt?

1. more layers = much stiffer than a regular belt
    2. you can take off your holster and mag pouches w/o having to re-position them everytime, and it goes on/off much faster. Makes like much easier at a match when you want to take the rig off for lunch or to visit the porta-john. especially important when you have some rigs that screw down to the belt, such as open/limited ghost holsters, etc....

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    just check thsoe BT DOH holsters... most aren't legal (hold the gun more than 2" from the inside of the inner belt). you'll either need shims/washers on the lower screws to angle the gun bucket part from the bracket part or you'll need to get out the heat gun / lighter to bend it a bit..

-rvb

I noticed that the offset was real aggressive, it jabs me in the leg when I kneel down. No good! My open rig isn't nearly as canted. Looks like I've got some tuning to do. I'll try the spacer idea before I get the torch out!

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    CB, yea the cant is as you say, I'm not sure why they molded the plastic that way.

I also have the ghost production holster. I loved the way it help the gun, but it has so many adjustment points I found it impossible to keep everything from moving around. I was making index marks of where it should be and after every draw would have to adjust back to the index... Just too big of a pain.

If there was a hybrid btw the way ghost sits/holds the gun and the simplicity of the blade tech you'd have a pretty damn good holster.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    CPWSA - Holsters

Start at the third row down..

These holsters are about as simple as it gets and very durable with no adjustments to mess with. I borrowed one last year at state when mine broke. ( Thanks Bill ) The day after the match I ordered one.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    ghost:
    Ghost 360 Pouch
    CR versas:
    CR Speed Versa Mag Pouch
    DAA:
    Double Alpha Racer Magazine Pouch(Double Stack)

don't know much about the ghosts... relatively new afaik.

I can't believe how well the CRs have held up... litterally thousands of reloads, layed on them prone, etc. never had to replace one.

-rvb

My CRs have held up pretty well, and it's tough to beat the versatility. CZs, then 1911s, then Glocks, then 1911s, then Glocks again, all with the same pouches. For the OP looking to use both a 97B (yes they fit) and a 1911, that's the way to go.

I like the attachment thingy and mag tensioning on the Ghost pouches better, and it doesn't hurt they're a few bucks cheaper. When/if my CR speeds die, there's a good chance I'll be ordering them as replacements.

I keep coming back to the Blade Tech holster, but always ditch the drop/offset bracket. It doesn't make any difference in draw speed for me. Coupled with the extra flex, shimming to stay legal, and greater likelihood of the gun/holster catching or smashing in to things, it's just more trouble than it's worth.

Top Bottom