War: Bald face hornets vs yellow jackets 50+ feet up.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    A full can (one is none,) of any name brand wasp/hornet spray will kill the hornets and wash away the nest to just residue. You just have to get close enough and do it at night.

Two cans of wasp/hornet spray.
    Two hands.
    Climbing up a tree.
    At night.
    To spray wasps.

Get video.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Step 1: find yellow jacket nest
    Step 2: borrow/ acquire bowfishing rig
    Step 3: shoot hornet nest with said rig
    Step 4: yank that sucker down, preferably while standing inside with mostly closed door
    Step 5: if crazy enough, place hornet nest over yellow jacket nest, videotape results
    Step 6: charcoal lighter fluid and flame are your friends--use them

That should about do it, I'd think.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a plan... firepit... dual camera angles... acorns... slingshot.

I will position the firepit directly under the nest, then setup the superzoom camera tight in on the nest and a smaller one close to the "dropzone" to take the brunt of their response, then knock it down with a slingshot using some of the millions of natural people safe missiles my tree gives me each year. the distance the nest has to fall will give me time to escape, then come back when they calm down, cover the pit and light 'em up.

This should be good.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Just remember, hornets will not give up after a half mile. Chances are, you will give up before they do...

Something of a funny story concerning ground bees. I found a nest while weed eating. Ok, they found me but only 3 of them popped me. Initially, I thought warm grass clippings had landed on my legs and hand until it became unquestionably noticeable that the warmth was not subsiding but increasing in intensity. I looked at the back of my hand and sure enough, there was one just "gettin it".

I worked those over with my Tilley hat as I was vacating the area in a somewhat unorthodox fashion that resembled nothing like grace nor coordination but effective none the less. I returned with a large "can" of mower petrol and began pouring in the hole. I continued to pour expecting the ground at the hole to become satiated and puddle. It did not. I finally stopped when it became obvious that the ground was going to take whatever I gave it. I put the "can" back in the garage and returned with a long stemmed lighter which I commenced to light within inches of the hole. Next was HARUMPH and I was standing in the middle of a 5' radius of burning ground.

I kid you not, while with time, the circumference of flame diminished considerably, it did stay lit for hours. The ground bees ceased to be an issue and I continue to be most grateful, considering my chosen remedy, that the hive was not next to my house's foundation...

One year, we did have a hornets nest up +/- 40' in a maple tree in my front yard. I marveled at their continuous comings and goings once I became aware of the nest. I found it fascinating the various bands of colors on the nest depending on what they were feeding. I left them alone but I did tighten up expecting a pop every time I mowed.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Find a large jug/bottle(water cooler bottle is great),fill half way with sugar water.The y will fly in and can't get out.Leave this under the tree for a few days.I was squirrel hunting Sunday morning and came by a nest in a cedar that a raccoon had apparently tore into the night before & the hornets blamed me.Got hit 8 times.but they died a flaming death.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I bought a Daisy B-52 at meijer and tried it out using acorns. It's very accurate and packs plenty of power, I can hit individual bricks at 20 feet. I think it's the perfect weapon for this.

Now I just have to find the right time so no other person or pet is at risk.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I bought a Daisy B-52 at meijer and tried it out using acorns. It's very accurate and packs plenty of power, I can hit individual bricks at 20 feet. I think it's the perfect weapon for this.

Now I just have to find the right time so no other person or pet is at risk.

Just remember, after you're done doing what you're gonna do, gonna be lots of very angry hornets looking for something to sting for several days afterward.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They'll be pissed at the demise of the nest, but what really gets them worked up is the pheromones released by demised co-speciests. Proximity is paramount. If they don't die or come to rest near you, you're less likely to be associated with their demise.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    I work for an Remc we burn them down with the extendo sticks we use to replace fuses. We tape a three foot stick on the end and wrap a rag soaked in diesel fuel and light it and run it up to the nest and it burns the wings off the hornets . Also it burns the nest. We usually wear our rain suits because sometimes one might get by the fire and they just bounce off the rain coat. If I was closer I could let you borrow my extendo . I don't know how high your nest is but the extendo stick can reach 50 feet

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Why has no one mentioned 12 ga yet?
    Is this a gun forum or not?
    I would use full choke, probably #8 shot, 1 1/8 oz or (1 1/4 oz if you can find it in #8).
    Obviously, the more shot pellets the better.
    Inside the nest is a comb that very much resembles a large wasps nest.
    Aim for the upper center of the nest where the comb will be and you will obliterate the nest and quite a few occupants.
    Having tested this in my youth, I advise that you be ready to run.
    The remaining hornets will find you.
    Maybe one shot then beat an immediate retreat.
    While it may be unsettling to the uninformed, any #8 shot falling on the surrounding area will be harmless.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Why has no one mentioned 12 ga yet?
    Is this a gun forum or not?
    I would use full choke, probably #8 shot, 1 1/8 oz or (1 1/4 oz if you can find it in #8).
    Obviously, the more shot pellets the better.
    Inside the nest is a comb that very much resembles a large wasps nest.
    Aim for the upper center of the nest where the comb will be and you will obliterate the nest and quite a few occupants.
    Having tested this in my youth, I advise that you be ready to run.
    The remaining hornets will find you.
    Maybe one shot then beat an immediate retreat.
    While it may be unsettling to the uninformed, any #8 shot falling on the surrounding area will be harmless.

No 12 gauge... this is a residential neighborhood.

I am leaning towards leaving the nest alone as I don't want the neighbors dog attacked when she goes out and I live next to the parking lot of a church with an active daycare.

I'll keep the slingshot for skipping rocks.

They are quite aggressive...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_znYyh7t63E

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Fine, no 12 ga.
    I am so disappointed.
    My next vote would be for the wasp and hornett spray.
    From my experience this weekend (which I will post this morning), the cans work great.
    Soak the nest, spray anything that flies out, and by the next day they will all be dead with the exception of two or three, very sick, hardy individuals.
    BTW, I do realize that 50' up in the tree seriously hampers this solution.
    Just saying that the spray really works.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We had a hornets nest on the bottom of our electric transformer. REMC did not think shooting it down (as I suggested) was a good plan. In the end, we just left it alone and the remnants are still there many years later. It amazes me how long that has been there...I'm thinking it was in 2002 based on the photos I have in my computer.

Top Bottom